roberry/shooting in La Mulatta

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Campesina,

Thank your very much for your effort AND PRO-ACTIVE involvement, and to those that attended to try to make a difference.

I can only hope that with a united effort that as expats, we CAN be an influance in our new homes.

I have tried this in the past with the main problem being my own neighbors. Each having thier own... whatever.

Next was the... MONEY OR WHAT DO I GET from the higher ups. At one point... "we want 3 houses on 'your property (down the street) over there'". I walked them to the gate and told them never to return.

In the time period that they were to be "cleaning up", I never saw, watching and waiting... anything. Lots' of long meetings with lots of long speaches with no results.

I AM on my own; and taken the actions that I feel are a deterant and defend.

Sorry to be so neg... just my experience. Wishing you luck and a change that would work for everyone.

Regards, Ringo

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
I think we are not expecting miracles. Just initiating some kind of action. The la drones are going to target the easy pickin's. And the police are going to take the actions that are most productive to them.

We see those people on the road late at night, sitting in groups or perched on stone walls. What are they doing there? Cpt Contreras suggests, drive by without looking at them, then grab your cell phone and call him, not the general police department, call HIM! 829-890-5009 He will send someone to find out what they are up to. If this happens a few times, it will tell the people who are up to no good that this is not the area they should be in. I think it can work.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Campesina,

Please do not take my past dealings with the gov., not directly with the police, as a "can not be done". I support what you are trying to do. PM me if I can be of help keeping in mind that I have "been there...done that" too many times.

ONE thing that I found that worked, and it worked VERY WELL. I see someone outside my property, get IN THE FACE AND TAKE A PHOTO. My dogs barked... grab the camera.. get photo. Car/moto in area... get photo of plates. Get in their face WITHIN REASON AND SAFTLY. Worked for me. But be safe.

Regards, Ringo

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Lets be proactive and kick the la drones out of La Mulata and Sosua! We can only do that by everyone one of us sticking together!

You are to be commended, Campesina, for trying to encourage community spirit - not just this thread but the roadworks, too. What I find disappointing is

A few people interested in their safety showed up at Las Canas today where they were introduced to Capitan Contreras.
(boldening mine)

Unfortunate that there wasn't a better turnout & disappointing for the organisers. Three years ago there was an attempted kidnapping of a baby from a well known family in my urbanizacion ('attempted' because it failed). Junta de Vecinos called a meeting. 300 of us attended (this in an area where there are 400 homes & apartments). So three quarters of all the homes were represented at that meeting, probably slightly larger because some have relatives in separate homes in same neighbourhood so would have represented them too.

But, don't give up, Campesina. Sounds like you're doing a really good job & I hope the less active residents are appreciative of your efforts. It isn't easy trying to pull a disparate group of folks together, different nationalities, different priorities perhaps. Thank you for all your efforts :) .

dreamsource

Jul 29, 2007
But, don't give up, Campesina. Sounds like you're doing a really good job & I hope the less active residents are appreciative of your efforts. It isn't easy trying to pull a disparate group of folks together, different nationalities, different priorities perhaps. Thank you for all your efforts :) .

Heartily seconded! Campesina, we thank you for your passion for making our experiences more and not less positive. Your love for Dominican life has been very evident and very much appreciated. Keep the faith and know we're with you!

J

John Evans

A very indepth case study- i now know exactly what happened

J

John Evans

im not a reporter ...i wasnt there... so it would be second hand knowledge...and may be totally inaccurate

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
im not a reporter ...i wasnt there... so it would be second hand knowledge...and may be totally inaccurate
There are ways to tell the story so as to convey what you know is fact and what is 3rd party info.
We don't expect you to be eloquent like a reporter, but if you do want to mention a story along these lines, the odds are that Lambada will find a link to it, if the crime was reported and got into the news.

Mar 2, 2008
I think Rocky and Campesina have both offered some very good advice. Rocky's statement regarding unity is very important to understand. If bittering over semantics and political correctness takes the focus off the perps than those bittering are unknowingly assisting the robbers. Organized self-defense coordinated with police efforts is what is needed to send a clear and firm message to potential criminals. The message should be, "Don't f*** with us or you will become fertilizer for the next sugar crop."

Last edited:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Gotcha!

After a "Shootout " at Villa Marie in Sosua today one of the scum is dead, two others wounded and in Custody of the Police on their way to PP.

Two Haitians and a Dominican from Charamicos.

FernieBee

Bronze
Feb 20, 2008
After a "Shootout " at Villa Marie in Sosua today one of the scum is dead, two others wounded and in Custody of the Police on their way to PP.

Two Haitians and a Dominican from Charamicos.
That's good and bad: The criminals were caught, but it was after a shoot-out...not the kind of thing I want to hear before my upcoming visit to Sosua. :ermm:

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
I was informed of this by Capitan Contreras this morning as it was happening, first one, then another, and then the phone call informing me that one dead and 2 wounded.

Weapons were recovered and he is waiting for confirmation as to wether or not these are the people involved in a number of incidents in La Mulata and Camino Llibre area.

It was reported on the 12:00 news!

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
It seems to me that Capt. Contreras is taking his job very seriously. I understand that he was "tipped off" and acted accordingly. There are a few lessons learnt here, but yet again I have to hand it to Campasina - She is the driving force for so much change in the La Mulata area, and it was her determination to STOP the robberies and assaults that has quickly got results.

There will be those who question the methods of the police, but the message to the thieves and scum who spread fear and panic through peaceful communities is concise and clear.

And the lesson that we have to take from this is that community works. Together we are strong and can change things for the better.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
That's good and bad: The criminals were caught, but it was after a shoot-out...not the kind of thing I want to hear before my upcoming visit to Sosua. :ermm:

Don"t worry too much. A Dominican shoot out with the Police generally goes in only one direction.

FernieBee

Bronze
Feb 20, 2008
Hopefully Ferniebee, Sosua will be a much safer place by the time you get here.
Thanks to great police work and concerned citizens, such as yourself, it hopefully will be.

e637tv.gif