roberry/shooting in La Mulatta

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Perhaps it was just a mis-comprehension of what was stated....

Your apology is accepted, and I hope maybe some other "Politically Correct" posters think before they post in situations like these.

Perhaps it is because every time one hears of a crime it is almost always blamed on 'Haitians'...........

Or perhaps it was because some of us have been 'jumped on' (by mods no less ) for being less than "politically Correct' when no offense was meant (or intended).

Perhaps if would have been more revealing had the OP said the victims identified the perpetrators as Haitian.....

Either way it is a relief to hear that no -one was seriously injured and this latest incident in the area has prompted those living in the area to organize a meeting to discuss what can be done to make the area safer......

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
A group of 4 men also described as "Hatian" with perfect spoken Spanish robbed a house on Los Llibres 2 weeks ago. They shot at the owner but missed him. The police were called by a neighbor during the crime and showed up at the house 24 hours later.

Please use caution and be observant!

I was at the scene of this robbery about 10 mins after it happened.
The police took about 5 mins to arrive after being called.

The police did not get called during the crime, they showed up after the "Haitians" had left and the owner called them.

This particular house is wide open, with no security bars etc. It does have an alarm and this was set off by the owner and that in turn altered the neighbors. It's not the first time this property has been robbed.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Firstly, the Haitian people are black. Not just darker but black.
There are many that are as white as North Americans but they usually are not the ones leaving Haiti for the DR to find work.

Secondly, the native tongue is Creole. Only the learned ones ever learn French.

There are many Haitians that learn and speak excellent Spanish and learn it in very short time. IMHO they are normally more intelligent than the Dominicans (but again just an opinion).

The issue of the 'report' stating that they were/looked Haitian could have been for many reasons. One being it was true, two being that they were quite dark (since most Dominicans that look similar to Haitians will say that they have no Haitian blood in them as denial), and third the usual racial finger pointing.

The real issue is the fact that there are now three tranjero deaths in as many days.

The real issue is what happened not the race of the perpetrators.
I would like to know what is going on that there have been so many murders.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
The real issue is the fact that there are now three tranjero deaths in as many days.

Was there a death connected with the subject of this thead? I thought I read about injuries rather than death?

And I'm sure this is obvious but...............when people go to the meeting tomorrow please don't leave your home unguarded. It would just be too ironic wouldn't it if ladrones, being the opportunists they are, saw a whole lot of empty gringo homes...........

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The police were called by a neighbor during the crime and showed up at the house 24 hours later.
I was at the scene of this robbery about 10 mins after it happened.
The police took about 5 mins to arrive after being called.
The police did not get called during the crime, they showed up after the "Haitians" had left and the owner called them.
This exemplifies how stories can get distorted along the way, no matter how good a person's intentions are, we are all at the mercy of 3rd hand information, at times.

Between it being called Los Llibres instead of Camino Llibre and the part about 24 hours instead of 5 minutes, it didn't even occur to me that we were talking about that same event that you guys stumbled upon.

Even though the OP quite wisely wrote,
This is unsubstantiated as of now.
it still doesn't change the fact that stories get distorted after repeating them several times, just like in that kiddy's game where they take turns whispering something in another's ear and the story gets compared by the time it has gone full circle.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Jumping on this thread after re-reading the Las Terrenas one... It seems that our respective areas are still at high risk of armed robberies and home-invasion.

I had first-hand report (around Las Terrenas) of an armed robbery in a private home (alone on a hill) about 2 weeks ago, by a group of 6 Haitians who were speaking good Spanish among themselves. I first suspected the Dominican employee to be part of the scam, while using a story about Haitians, but after reading that thread, I start to wonder... It might be the same gang. They might have moved fro LT to Sosua...

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Was there a death connected with the subject of this thead? I thought I read about injuries rather than death?

And I'm sure this is obvious but...............when people go to the meeting tomorrow please don't leave your home unguarded. It would just be too ironic wouldn't it if ladrones, being the opportunists they are, saw a whole lot of empty gringo homes...........

As stated before, NO ONE DIED. Another poster from abroad that just likes to type BS.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
As stated before, NO ONE DIED. Another poster from abroad that just likes to type BS.
I can see that you are upset and I presume that you know at least one of the injured parties, but in all fairness to jrf, it was a simple misunderstanding, as the OP wrote that 3 people were shot.
Often times, that is interpreted to mean that they were killed.

Let us not start getting testy amongst ourselves, specially at a time like this, when our solidarity may prove to be what helps us defend ourselves against these low life criminals.

J

John Evans

would I be right in saying that in most cases the robbers already know what you have in your house that they might make use of and have worked out an escape route by visiting the area previously...so its a good idea not to leave packaging in view for the dustbin men etc or to let too many people that you dont know into your house to see the layout...obviously its unavoidable with some people

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
would I be right in saying that in most cases the robbers already know what you have in your house that they might make use of and have worked out an escape route by visiting the area previously...so its a good idea not to leave packaging in view for the dustbin men etc or to let too many people that you dont know into your house to see the layout...obviously its unavoidable with some people
100% correct.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I can see that you are upset and I presume that you know at least one of the injured parties, but in all fairness to jrf, it was a simple misunderstanding, as the OP wrote that 3 people were shot.
Often times, that is interpreted to mean that they were killed.

Let us not start getting testy amongst ourselves, specially at a time like this, when our solidarity may prove to be what helps us defend ourselves against these low life criminals.

I guess it is getting contagious. Only one person was shot as I reported, not three. If you don"t know the facts why say three?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
And having kept up with this thread almost post by post, I still don't know the facts. This 'he said', 'she said' business is confusing.

Post facts if you have them. Please stop 'picking' at one another. Post facts if you have them. Post advice if it is based on good DR experience.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
And having kept up with this thread almost post by post, I still don't know the facts. This 'he said', 'she said' business is confusing.

Post facts if you have them. Please stop 'picking' at one another. Post facts if you have them. Post advice if it is based on good DR experience.

These are basically the facts. Some Haitians with guns tried to rob one or more houses in LM2. The German guy that was shot turned on an alarm. People came and the scum started shooting. They eventually ran away down the back. As said before, one injured, but OK in two weeks.

Advice. If you have a private house, get a gun and know how to use it or move to Sea Horse Ranch and lock yourself in a closet.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Advice. If you have a private house, get a gun and know how to use it or move to Sea Horse Ranch and lock yourself in a closet.

I'm sure there is a middle ground. What is the security like in La Mulatta? - D

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
According to Simon, Mulata 2 & 3 have had no serious problems in 5 years, so I am guessing that the problems are occurring in the lower regions, and something should be dome to make people safer, but it's a hard area to defend, as it is so vast and spread out, as well as offers access for people on foot through the woods, so at this point in time, individuals would do well to set up a good security perimeter and enlist the help and cooperation from friends and neighbours.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004

La Mulata is not one development. It is many different devolopments. Hence, no organized security patrols. Maybe the meeting called for today will change that. As for trusting Mikey Mouse Watchman to protect you, well anyone that lives here knows better. Make your own security.

When a few of these scum end up dead the thieves will move on.

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
Sorry to hear

They, the perpetrator(s), Haitian or not, know exactly what is in your house and 99% of your schedule. Most likely before you know it. Worse is that it is always exaggerated, like these threads.

Keep in mind that these people (hopefully that is politically correct) have little to nothing to do, so surveillance is their specialty.

The authorities have to make themselves visible or this will just continue. Path of least resistance.

And as always the bad guys have guns and the people that just want to relax are sheep waiting for slaughter. I want nothing less than to have to shoot at another human being but if someone is shooting at me, I would sure as hell like to shoot back.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Trying to pull the facts out of this..............cork reported an incident of yesterday, family with 2 children, part of La Mulatta unspecified, dog shot. SKY reported the incident of 2 weeks ago (German victim now recovering) which occurred in La Mulatta 2. Two incidents in 2 weeks, no fatalities, assailants armed on both occasions. Correct?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Trying to pull the facts out of this..............cork reported an incident of yesterday, family with 2 children, part of La Mulatta unspecified, dog shot. SKY reported the incident of 2 weeks ago (German victim now recovering) which occurred in La Mulatta 2. Two incidents in 2 weeks, no fatalities, assailants armed on both occasions. Correct?
As you said, it's all a bit confusing.
I can tell you for fact that there was a robbery up on Camino Llibre a couple of weeks ago, in which the cops were there in minutes and the boss himself was there too.
I believe that the owner was a Dominican gentleman and he had little to no security perimeter and that it was not the first time the house got robbed.