Rumor of visa free travel to USA jams passport offices

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
I think I can explain. You are correct that having a passport is proof positive you are naturalized or a born citizen. The purpose of the birth certificate rule, in my opinion, is that is a convenient source of revenue for the government. I don't think it has anything to do with stupidity. I think it is part of a long standing government practice of collecting fees for services of little or no value to the citizenry.

The need for a birth certificate added another day to the passport renewal process. Note to Dominicans who like to make up stupid regulations. If you have a passport, you already proved you had been born in the DR or were naturalized. But yet again, a new legalized birth certificate is required to renew a passport. Stupid is as stupid does. Go ahead and link the Cedula data base to the new and amazing digital passport data base and to the even more incredible digital birth certificate data base and don't waste peoples time.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
i was at immigration office on malecon in santo domingo and I was shocked to see huge passport lines for dominicans, leading all the way outside onto the side walk. that was around 8am in the morning.

Every time I have gone to immigration, there has ALWAYS been masses of people at the passport place......
One wonders why........

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I think I can explain. You are correct that having a passport is proof positive you are naturalized or a born citizen. The purpose of the birth certificate rule, in my opinion, is that is a convenient source of revenue for the government. I don't think it has anything to do with stupidity. I think it is part of a long standing government practice of collecting fees for services of little or no value to the citizenry.

I have little doubt you are correct. i just like to call it stupidity.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Rumor of visa free travel to USA jams passport offices?

HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!:p:p:p

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
It's not at all stupid to ask for a new birth certificate. People change their names, fix their names, change mistakes in birth certificates so a registry of a birth can change during a lifetime. A 'acta de nacimiento' is just a statement of how you are registered in the civil registry.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It's not at all stupid to ask for a new birth certificate. People change their names, fix their names, change mistakes in birth certificates so a registry of a birth can change during a lifetime. A 'acta de nacimiento' is just a statement of how you are registered in the civil registry.

The vast majority of birth certificates do not need to be changed. So for the few that need changing, everyone must always get a new one?
That was the old policy and it was indeed stupid.

Now there is a "digital" birth certificate that does not need to be "new" . At least that part of the stupidity in the DR has ended. You get one and it "lasts" forever.

Unless of course the people who want to renew your passport take it from you after they have scanned it into the system (still stupid that they take it) . They could easily look up the digital version on the JCE's website if they had the thought processes that allowed them to actually think.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Return visit to get passport in Puerto Plata and a miracle

Today there were still many misled people jamming the passport office in Puerto Plata as we went there to pick up my wife's passport.

I got to see a copy of the joke posted on social media on the Dominican people about the US supposedly allowing Dominicans to travel to the US just applying for and automatically getting a visa. .
They seemed to buy into this hook, line and sinker. The passport offices are taking in money like never before.

And it delayed our simple task of just getting picking up the new passport by about 4 hours. There was however a miracle.

They actually returned the "digital birth certificate" to my wife along with the new passport.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I'm not sure why the govt offices do not put up a sign indicating that the Internet reports of easy entry or reduced visa requirements for the USA are incorrect. If one really wants a passport, no problem, stand in line. If, however, the sole reason for obtaining one is a mistaken belief, perhaps a "few" would choose to forgo the process.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Sad to see them tricking so many people who are spending money for nothing. It also causes massive delays for people who really do have to renew passports and have valid visas.

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
I have to say that I laughed when I originally saw this but something happened that made me go hmmmmm.
Two of my neighbors went to try their luck on getting a visa and low and behold they were both granted a US visa a week apart.
One of my neighbors is a single mom living with her parents and cannot work right now as she is currently disabled after a very serious accident. The other guy is probably the nicest guy I've ever met. A hard working divorced farmer with one son. I never thought he'd be given a visa but I am very happy for him.

Go figure!

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I'm not sure why the govt offices do not put up a sign indicating that the Internet reports of easy entry or reduced visa requirements for the USA are incorrect. If one really wants a passport, no problem, stand in line. If, however, the sole reason for obtaining one is a mistaken belief, perhaps a "few" would choose to forgo the process.

I have yet to visit one government office where they are glad to share information / protect from misinformation and do their best looking your out for your interest and doing things the most economical way possible...

Actually, I take that slightly back; When I went to get a birth certificate for my son for the sole purpose of getting him into a colegio, as I mentioned the purpose, the cashier very happily declared that no, you don?t have to pay one peso for this... Makes sense, but I wasn?t expecting that... When I got back home, my wife of course confirmed that it?s free, and was surprised I did not know that...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
so, are these easily obtained visas for work/business or tourism?

In general, it is still (and I say it will remain) very difficult for a Dominican to get a visa to the US for tourism. Sure there are people who get them, but the odds are very much against proving to the USCIS that the person will return to the DR before the visa period has expired.

Some people spread false information on social media (Facebook for one) about "visa free" travel to the US for Dominicans and that information has been accepted as the truth. Visa free travel would mean a Dominican can just buy a ticket to the US and go. My position is that visa free travel for Dominicans to the US is not going to happen any time soon.

Jan 7, 2016
Perhaps if the D.R. dropped it's 10 dollar Tourist Fee and Overstay fees, the U.S. would grant Visa-Free Travel to the U.S. for Dominicans. Turn-about is fair-play they say...:rambo:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Perhaps if the D.R. dropped it's 10 dollar Tourist Fee and Overstay fees, the U.S. would grant Visa-Free Travel to the U.S. for Dominicans. Turn-about is fair-play they say...:rambo:

Not at all the reason.

Dominicans are infamous for overstaying their visas and becoming illegal immigrants in the US. That is why visa free travel for Dominicans to the US (or Canada or the EU) is not going to happen.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I used to go to Argentina with my Dominican girlfriend, as no Visa was necessary. That changed a few years ago because of all
the Putas that went and just stayed there. The Argentine Government even gave them free one way tickets to the DR to get rid
of them.

Then Uruguay, just across the river from Buenos Aires joined suit and stopped Visa free travel also.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I used to go to Argentina with my Dominican girlfriend, as no Visa was necessary. That changed a few years ago because of all
the Putas that went and just stayed there. The Argentine Government even gave them free one way tickets to the DR to get rid
of them.

Then Uruguay, just across the river from Buenos Aires joined suit and stopped Visa free travel also.

Chile also stopped visa free travel for Dominicans about a year ago.