Sad day in Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
My condolences to the family, that is horrible.

Has anybody heard what happened? I don't like to spread rumour, but so far I have heard that he was stabbed by an American ex-patriate who was also injured and is now in custody, after being released from the hospital. Does anybody know any facts?

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
68hr2nn.jpg

Mark and Colleen - happier times...

Gregg

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Now expats are being killed by other expats? what ishas become of sosua in the past few years? I am sad to hear this good man is dead now. I hope the guilty gets the book thrown at him.
AZB

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
So so sad

Mark and Colleen are two special people and Mark helped so many. He was a very dear friend and will be greatly missed.
The problem started with 2 Americans in a fight. One stabbed Mark. One is in prison and the other seriously injured in a hospital in Puerto Plata. The autopsy is being done in Santo Domingo. A service will be held at the beginning of next week. I will let you know where and when.

RIP dear friend, my heart is breaking for Colleen and Stephanie.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Maybe I've....

....stopped by there and had a cold one. The place sure looks familiar, but not exactly sure where it's located. Maybe I met him in passing, maybe I didn't. Not really important. From the previous posts expressed, and the video (thanks!!!), he seemed to be an ok dude. A full bar in Sosua is a decent giveaway. Good enough for me.

Anyway, to his family and friends, I wish to pass along my heartfelt condolences. I wish him a peaceful journey.

Anyone know what really happened?

Manxman

Aug 14, 2003
Oh my God i dont Know what to say.The tears are running down my face right now. What a nice guy and a good friend.
RIP Mark.
Our love to you Colleen.
James Trish Andy and Dave from the Isle of Man

sunny2

Apr 7, 2006
RIP Mark, you were a prince among men. My thoughts and prayers are with you Colleen.

sarahd

May 29, 2007
In May of 2006, my fiance Rob & I visited the Dominican Republic. Like many other travellers, we stumbled upon Checkpoint, and the only reason we left at all in the last week we were there was because the bar closed and people needed to go home. We had the priviledge to get to know Mark and Colleen outside of the Checkpoint - they grew on us and had a tremendous impact on our hearts.
Colleen, words can not even begin to describe the sorrow I feel for you. Mark was a wonderful man, one of the best this world has had to offer, and this is a senseless and needless crime against you. I love you more than you can know, and you are in our prayers. If you need anything, although we are far in distance, we will do everything in our power for you & Madeleine. We love you.

Mark, until we meet again, my friend.

Sarah & Rob
Vancouver, BC

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
Gosh, words fail me. What terrible news. There was no kinder or more friendly man than Mark. What a tragedy. My condolences Colleen!!!! What a terrible thing to happen. I am shocked!! God bless.

donquixote

Aug 2, 2005
Colleen, i can say nothing but offer my prayers and condolences to you, and your family. Mark and you made a positive difference in sosua. Please dont leave us. You and Mark gave my daughter brooke a job and were her friend which i deeply thank you for. You have also made my daughter shawn at home there, and always added to my days when i visited. Mark looked after all that were near him. I believe he now will still look after us from above.
May God bless you Colleen and welcome Mark to his new home. geo.b

koko*

Sep 16, 2005
In my prayers.

I just left Sosua on the 26th and like everyone else, I am shocked to hear this news. Any time I saw Mark he had a smile on his face and a kind greeting for me. Mark and Colleen are two of the kindest people I have met. Colleen you and your family will be in my prayers. As you can see Mark was loved by many who only new him a short time, he had a great impact on many people, a wonderful man!

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
Mark was one of the first people to welcome me to Sosua... I had never been here before, but moved here with my better half, so he says, and he had been here many times, Mark and he had a terrific conversation about Friday the 13th in Port Dover. He also assured me of what a great choice I had made, everytime we saw him around town he had a big hello and greeted you as an old friend.. Very comforting in a new place, We stopped by the bar for the occassional beer. When I was told this by a friend this morning, it hurt my heart, I remember having a conversation with Mark after they had moved and he couldn't sleep because of the quiet at the new house. Sleep well with God... your family will be watched over by all who know and care for them.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Remember Mark through Sosua Kids

We are stunned at the news. Colleen & Mark have contributed so much to Sosua's community in such a short time most especially the Sosua Kids project.
Let's help continue the good work in Mark's name. Bring an extra suitcase when you come back to Sosua.
The following is Colleen's wish list for the kids.
Sosua Kids:

"This list has been done at the request of people coming down in May-August that have volunteered to bring us much needed school supplies for Sosua Kids.

What we need:

Anyone coming down in the coming months that wants to donate a completed knapsack, this is what we have been trying to supply:

* 25 pencils
* erasers
* pencil sharpener
* 10 pens (blue or black)
* red pen
* glue OR glue sticks
* a highlighter
* Binder or duotangs with package of 200 looseleaf sheets OR 8 notebooks (the ones with about 50 pages in them) OR coil notebooks with subject dividers- ie: 300-500 sheets- your choice
* ruler
* package of crayons
* either a set of felt pens OR pencil crayons.

The following can be added if you choose...

* calculator (optional)
* pad of construction paper (optional)
* paint set (optional)
* stickers (optional)
* Anything cool you can think of for a varity of ages- small toy, hair clips and elastics for girls, baseball stickers for the boys, etc....

So far we have 37 kits done, and of those we have 16 knapsacks so we have some work to do! THANKS!!!!!

Don't forget we are also always accepting cash donations to go towards their school uniforms. We will know the per kid cost by the end of july, but cash donations are always welcome.

Colleen"

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Shocked and saddened

Colleen,

Fran and I heard the news at 8 this morning but it has taken us all day to grasp it. Mark will be always remembered for the wonderful and somewhat devious smile. A wonderful, personable person..... His and your welcoming greetings and wonderful conversation are always a highlight to our visits to Sosua. The respect and friendship he offered will be sorely missed by all.

Fran and I want you to know that our thoughts are with you and your family. We hope that in this sad time you will allow yourself to draw off of the support and strength of the many people who care about you , which was earned by the compassion and caring and true friendships that offered all of us.

Franselia and Joe

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Colleen, babes, you're surrounded by friends who feel your pain and will do absolutely anything that we can to support and help you through this. I know I speak for all of us regulars at Checkpoint ... ANYTHING that we can do, consider it done.

I cannot begin to describe the loss that Sosua, as a community, has sustained through the passing of Mark.

Love and light,
Amy

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Obviously the pain of Mark's death has affected many people on this beautiful island today and I have read many of the messages of condolence that have been posted here including the beautiful one from Colleen. I have never met Mark and Colleen but it is very obvious that they have both touched many peoples lives here on the North Coast of DR and way beyond - may I just say that even a stranger can feel the amount of emotion spent here and may you, Colleen, and your family take solace from that at this terribly sad time for your family and friends. Both myself, Shirley and my other half, Charlie, are thinking of you in this time of grief for your loved one who is gone. Take care xxx

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
The problem started with 2 Americans in a fight. One stabbed Mark. One is in prison and the other seriously injured in a hospital in Puerto Plata.
I am saddened and disgusted to see a number of lives wrecked by what appears to be another act of drunken idiocy, this time by a fellow American.

My condolences to Mark's family.

Status
Not open for further replies.