Sad day in Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
What a mind numbingly senseless waste of a good life. Everything I've ever heard about this couple points to cheerful, generous minded people deeply committed to their charitable endeavours to help the Dominican children of Sosua. Sincere condolences to Colleen whom I've never had the pleasure of meeting in person but have communicated with on other boards.

Apologies for arriving late on this thread. A falling tree brought our internet connection down for 4 days.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Roger (aka Hifiman) is flying down to POP this Saturday. He is on the Board of Beyond the Beach Children's Foundation and is a friend of both Mark and Colleen. As far as he knows, there will be a service down there next week.

Dot (president of Beyond the Beach Children's Foundation) talked to Roger, we feel the best way to contribute towards a memorial in honor of Mark:

e-mail money transfer to her at dot.49@hotmail and Board of Beyond the Beach Children's Foundation will see that your donation will get there for the Sosua Kids in honor of Mark.

As I have mentionned before on this thread as soon as the venue, time and date are finalised I will post on here for everyone to know. Nothing has been arranged for this week at present, there is too much to do yet. Roger has already contacted me, thank you for your contribution to Marks memory, its a lovely idea, please organise this, Colleen is too overwhelmed at present, but I'll pass on your kindness.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Roger (aka Hifiman) is flying down to POP this Saturday. He is on the Board of Beyond the Beach Children's Foundation and is a friend of both Mark and Colleen. As far as he knows, there will be a service down there next week.

Dot (president of Beyond the Beach Children's Foundation) talked to Roger, we feel the best way to contribute towards a memorial in honor of Mark:

e-mail money transfer to her at dot.49@hotmail and Board of Beyond the Beach Children's Foundation will see that your donation will get there for the Sosua Kids in honor of Mark.

Colleen would prefer you NOT to ask for donations in Marks name at this time.
She is looking into this first.

SosuaNatalie

May 30, 2007
Colleen, Linden is here with us right now and says: I wish that I was there for you but I am happy that Barb is there now for you/us. As soon as I am back I want you to know that I will do anything to help you out. Love and Condolences, Linden..From Greg and me..we love you and Mark.and hope to see you soon!

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Colleen, Linden is here with us right now and says: I wish that I was there for you but I am happy that Barb is there now for you/us. As soon as I am back I want you to know that I will do anything to help you out. Love and Condolences, Linden..From Greg and me..we love you and Mark.and hope to see you soon!

Natalie Colleen is not reading any of this at present. Ive pmed you

Shawn Madge

May 30, 2007
Miss you so much, my brother.

I'm Shawn, Colleen's brother. I want to thank so many of you for your kind words and thoughts. I thought the tears might finally be slowing down but reading so many kind posts has brought them on again in earnest. I've known Mark for almost 20 years and as all of you others who knew him know, he was truly one of the best guys that ever lived. My wife and I only ever got down to Sosua once, and they really seemed to have a dream life. And the fact that him and Colleen were soooo in love. 14 years together and they were always like a couple of newlyweds.
Me and the rest of the family would appreciate any speculating on the circumstances of this horrible tragedy to please stop until we can get some kind of official word. And rants about the death penalty etc. aren't making anybody feel any better about what happened. It's only been 2 days, the real story will come out soon.
My favorite memories of Mark were our conversations. Just bantering back and forth, anybody within earshot would be in stitches. His wit and sense of humour were legendary. He was passionate about everything, whether he loved it or hated it, he was never scared to tell you how he felt.
So from me and Ashley, to all our friends in Sosua, and to all the others we never met that are taking time to share their thoughts and condolences, thank you so much. Miss you, Bro. And we sure love you Colleen, and can't wait to see you and hug you and kiss you.

2parrotheads

Mar 18, 2005
Our deepest condolences

Dear Colleen,

We are heartbroken over the news. A stop at the Checkpoint was always in order every time we came down to the DR. We last saw you right after Easter, and we'll always remember Mark's kind words and welcoming smile. He treated us like old friends every time we stopped by. Rose and Janice (Renee's mother and sister) join us in extending our heartfelt sympathies to you at this most difficult time. May God bless you and give you strength, Colleen. Rest in peace, Mark. We'll never forget you.

Renee and David
New Jersey & Perla Marina

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I'm Shawn, Colleen's brother. Me and the rest of the family would appreciate any speculating on the circumstances of this horrible tragedy to please stop until we can get some kind of official word. And rants about the death penalty etc. aren't making anybody feel any better about what happened. It's only been 2 days, the real story will come out soon.
Please respect the family's wishes. Rumours and half truths do no good to anyone.

WinnipegTrevor

May 30, 2007
Like everyone else, I am in total and utter shock at this news. I consider Mark and Colleen as very good friends and have seen them numerous times in Sosua. I felt priveledged to know such a warm and caring couple. Unfortunately it has been over a year since my last visit, and was looking forward to visiting with my friends this fall. Colleen, you have my deepest sympathy and you certainly did not deserve to have this happen. I wish I could be of more comfort to you than just to post a note here. If you ever need a shoulder to lean on, or an ear to listen, I am here for you my dear friend. Please extend my condolences to all of your family. Take care and I certainly miss you. Mark, my friend, my prayers are with you.

LaRubia03

May 9, 2007
Rip

I am a regular visitor to Sosua, i have spent alot of time there and i am shocked by this trajedy i have visited checkpoint many times and have received such friendly service this news sadens me...my condolences go out to the family and all those suffering from this loss...god bless

RenatoSosua

Bronze
Nov 8, 2006
groups.yahoo.com
News Report from El Faro:

A Canadian businessman was stabbed by an American during an incident that occurred in the night on Monday in an apartment hotel of the sector Mulatto one of the municipality of Sos?a, reported the National Police. The police report indicates that the victim was Mark Johnson Misner, 53-year-old, which was fatally injured by the named Rommer Omichi Timber, of 43 years. The death of Johnson Misner occurred after a sour discussion with Omichi Timber, which struck him four times with a knife.
The victim was an owner of one of the main bars of the tourist municipality of Sos?a and he carried three years residing in Caribbean Village, Sos?a. Immediately agents of the National Police rushed to apprehend the killer, which was remitted to justice to be processed for the crime.
The police indicates that the problem occurred due to differences arisen between the two foreigners by a problem of electricity. The body of Mark Jonson Misner was remitted to the National Institute of Forensic Pathology of Santiago to carry out the medical exam.

Source:
Matan empresario canadiense a puñaladas

Fireguy1

Jan 16, 2006
Im shocked and saddened to hear of the passing of Mark. I spent January in the Sosua area and spent more than a few evening chatting with him and colleen. My prayers are with you at this time colleen. Take care and I will see you later again this year.

Gordon Bruynson...................Fireguy

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Shocked!!!

I cannot believe this news and had to see his picture to know for sure it was who I unfortunately thought it was.

I was fortunate enough to have met Colleen and Mark while working at the Britannia Pub a few years ago while living in the DR for a few months. They had not been in Sosua very long at that time and they were so full of life and dreams for the future they were planning in the DR. They were two of my favourite customers and were always funny and cheerful to have around. I will always remember Mark because he was the only person I can remember who would always order Rum and O.J. This is a terrible tragedy and it has really saddened my day.

My condolences to you Colleen and your family.

mudrover

Feb 25, 2007
Very sad to hear! I was at the Checkpoint March 8th, for a quick cool one, on my way to Santo Domingo. Mark was a very special person! What happened is totally senseless! My prayers go out to you and your family Colleen....be strong, we will get you thru this untimely tradgedy. God bless

Status
Not open for further replies.