Sad day in Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
wow, this is awful. i visited the checkpoint every time i came to sosua. i must apologize for the ignorance of my american people. every incident of drunken americans makes life harder for those who want to enjoy the spoils of this beautiful island. we don't need these kind of people in the DR !!

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
What can I say that hasn't already been said? We'll miss him.

Susan, Bruce, Judith, Stewart (Truro, Nova Scotia.)

RenatoSosua

Bronze
Nov 8, 2006
groups.yahoo.com
The latest news
After talking to a few people down there...

Yes it was up at the house, Mark approached the person who is in charge of the generator. This guy got upset because of the hour and the fact that he had 4 children sleeping in the house. An altercation happened and Mark got stabbed. One guy is in the hospital and 2 people in jail...the thought is that the 2 in jail are witnesses. Marks body was dragged and dumped in a ditch and his arms crossed. Colleen was home at this time and didn't know anything about it. At about 3:30 in the morning she answered her door and there were several people there asking for Marks passport and that she had to go with them. She was taken to an ambulance where she had to identify his body. And yes it was an American who killed our good friend.

This information is all from the people who spent the day with Colleen.
Source:
Craig Balillie from Sosuadominicanrepublic Yahoo group.

Signtalkerjo

Apr 11, 2007
Although I never met Mark I have read only good things about him wherever I have looked.
Colleen you and your family are in our thoughts.
jo .

churchir

May 30, 2007
I am so very sorry to hear this news. My husband and I visit DR about twice a year and had visited Checkpoint with friends (Franselia and Joe) and met Mark several times. Our sincere condolences to Colleen and the family he left behind.
Raylene and Brian

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
While I have never met you, I know of you and the good work you do! My heart goes out to you after such a senseless tragedy.

benna

Jan 30, 2006
The more I hear of this story, the more angered I am getting. The sadness is still there and of course will continue to be there. But in WHAT WORLD is it ok to stab and kill someone because you are upset with them over something like this? So there are four children sleeping in the house. They will go back to sleep. Yell, scream, make it known that you are upset that your slumber was interrupted. But to kill? A good person has lost his life. A loving wife has lost her partner, a daughter has lost her father and countless people have lost a friend. This is unspeakable and I hope the person responsible for this pays.

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
I am so sorry to hear about \mark , I just saw him early Friday. Colleen my deepest and sincerest condolences from me and my family

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
This is a truly sad story if this is what happenned. I cant understand how someone can rationalize it being ok to kill someone over being woken up or over someone stealing electricity.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Too Bad The DR Doesn't Have The "Death Penalty"!

This act cries out for it!
The most the guy will get is 30 years! And if he has money,a lot less than that!
cc

SosuaNatalie

May 30, 2007
We spent alot of time with Mark and Colleen during our last visit to DR in March and so enjoyed both of them. I am glad that we had the opportunity to get to know Mark as it was a pleasure. Colleen and Mark were so obviously very happy together and it is such a shame that Colleen has lost her best friend. Mark will be Colleen's guardian angel now...

baltojohn

Apr 1, 2007
A truely disgusting story. My condolences go out to his family. I'm hoping the killer receives the worst kind of treatment in jail. Do they routinely utilize the death sentence in the DR and by which method?

prairegirl

May 30, 2007
Read the news this morning, was deeply saddend by this. Our condolences go out to Collen and family. It was a pleasure to have met Mark on the many visits. He will be greatly missed by all. God Bless and watch over you.

L

LarrySpencer

Let's all do our best to think of what truly matters - taking care of each other, helping Colleen through this painful experience, and working to keep Mark and Colleen's dream of helping the children at Susua Kids by donating time, goods, and money to the organization. This will be the very best way to honor his memory.

God bless you Colleen, and remember that there are many people around you to help. I only wish I were closer to lend a hand.

Last edited by a moderator:

mommacat

Apr 12, 2005
I can not believe this terrible news, it is unfathomable to me to think that such a wonderful friend and man as Mark has been violently taken from us. My heart aches for Colleen and her family and friends. He was one of a kind. Always a joke, a smile and warm hospitality extended while visiting him and Colleen. They both loved the DR and did so much for the kids there.

Words just can not express the sadness I feel. My deepest condolences to Colleen and her family. We love you.

Cat

barhanna

Aug 20, 2005
www.geocities.com
Sad Day in Sosua

There are not enough tears for this situation. Marta and I (Dale) are both weeping as we read this thread. I would hope there would be a memorial service of some kind. I am more than willing to help.

Rev. Dale and Marta
Volunteer Voice
Dominican Outreach

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
There are not enough tears for this situation. Marta and I (Dale) are both weeping as we read this thread. I would hope there would be a memorial service of some kind. I am more than willing to help.

Rev. Dale and Marta
Volunteer Voice
Dominican Outreach

The service is being arranged I will pass your kind offer on and then PM you.

The pain is awful for me just as a friend, so my tears are for Colleen, for hers must be so terrible.

God Bless and thank you. Mark was such a good person

Status
Not open for further replies.