Satellite Internet?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
They're having the same problems with computer chips like everyone else. I'm guessing the moment you solicit a move, they use that as a reason to send you to the back of the queue.

BTW, my Altice 100 Mbps connection is up and running. Yahoo!!!

Reactions: AlterEgo

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I have the service in Canada, upload speed is usually around 7-10Mbps , download speed average is between 70-300Mbps , most importantly there are no more millisecond interuptions every hour, the connection is stable now (at least in my area there are enough satellites in place)

Rt0IeBd.png

Way faster than what i can get at our place in PP
That ping is awful and so is that upload. Decent download speed though. You're paying how much per month?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Reactions: JD Jones

kmfjd

Apr 11, 2016
That ping is awful and so is that upload. Decent download speed though. You're paying how much per month?
It's faster than anything i can get in a rural setting back in Canada, i have 0 complaints about it, it's 10 x fast dl speed and min 3x the ul speed i used to have with my WISP. The ping is more than fine for anything i've used it for, i've hit over 300Mbs down and 10 Mbs up. I'd love to have it available here on the North Coast as the fastest Claro's copper gives us is 10Mbs down barely 1 Mbs up (ping is 10 though which is nice). People keep trying to compare it to fiber and it's not meant to compete with that.

i'm paying the same for starlink as i did my wisp, like i said, 0 complaints

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Shouldn't be a problem in the DR:

Elon Musk’s $500 cat beds: Starlink, Elon Musk’s internet company, has more than 1,600 outdoor satellites orbiting through space. However, some of the earthbound Starlink satellite dishes are having an internet speed problem. The satellite dishes have a self-heating feature, which works great at melting snow—but may be why cats are huddling on them to warm up, the Guardian reports.

• Haha
Reactions: chico bill

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I'm back on the fence about getting one.

My Altice Fiber Optic connection always shows 95+ mBps speeds and a 1-2mm ping but it only allows me to connect to certain websites. I couldn't get on Yahoo email or DR1 this morning, Yesterday my FB feed was at almost a dead stop, but other pages load instantaneously.
No idea what the issue is.

• Sad
Reactions: AlterEgo

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I'm back on the fence about getting one.

My Altice Fiber Optic connection always shows 95+ mBps speeds and a 1-2mm ping but it only allows me to connect to certain websites. I couldn't get on Yahoo email or DR1 this morning, Yesterday my FB feed was at almost a dead stop, but other pages load instantaneously.
No idea what the issue is.
Anything on this? Sometimes a router issue.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Did anybody watch today's launch of another set of satellites?

It's amazing to be able to watch in real-time rockets lifting off, then 1st stage boosters coming back down and landing on a ship in the middle of the ocean while the second stage is flying along to its destination. They even had videos of the second stage separating from the third. Incredible technology.

Last edited:

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Did anybody watch today's launch of another set of satellites?

It's amazing to be able to watch in real-time rockets lifting off, then 1st stage boosters coming back down and landing on a ship in the middle of the ocean while the second stage is flying along to its destination. They even had videos of the second stage separating from the third. Incredible technology.

And if that's not enough, how about an actual video of the third stage entering orbit. Something I bet none of you have seen before:

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Client of mine finally got her Starlink after waiting over one year. She is near the New York border. She is happy with the speed. I think with this design the wind should not be a problem unless it is a hurricane. It is small and light enough that if you put some kind of pole or base under this, heat should not be a problem as well.
Patiently waiting for mine to arrive for Samaná.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
I just got a survey from Starlink, implying the service is coming soon to the DR. The Starlink may shows that it will be available in the second quarter 2022. Since we are obviously in the quarter, maybe they are in "Dominican time" also. The coverage map shows that it is available in Puerto Rico as well as Isla De Mona. Hopefully it is coming soon. I just got a quote for fiber optic in Samana and they want 7900 pesos for 100/20.

• Wow
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I just got a survey from Starlink, implying the service is coming soon to the DR. The Starlink may shows that it will be available in the second quarter 2022. Since we are obviously in the quarter, maybe they are in "Dominican time" also. The coverage map shows that it is available in Puerto Rico as well as Isla De Mona. Hopefully it is coming soon. I just got a quote for fiber optic in Samana and they want 7900 pesos for 100/20.
I got the same email. I paid the $99 deposit last year and used my Google location to register.

From what I can gather, Starlink have been focusing their efforts in establishing an internet service over Ukraine, which has had a lot of the ground based infrastructure destroyed. This has resulted in the delay in other regions of the World.

Reactions: reilleyp

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I got the same email. I paid the $99 deposit last year and used my Google location to register.

From what I can gather, Starlink have been focusing their efforts in establishing an internet service over Ukraine, which has had a lot of the ground based infrastructure destroyed. This has resulted in the delay in other regions of the World.
Paying in advance for ANYTHING not yet open in the DR is a BAD idea................