Shock - Required Return Ticket if no residency

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
Never happened to me in almost 4 years. I use AA only
The fact that you fly AA exclusively is why you have never been asked. I don't fly them exclusively but 90% of the time,probably at least 100 flights between Colombia and DR,Jetblue ALWAYS asks. Just my experience anyway. I have been told by my tacaño friends that fly Spirit that they always ask too,I would never fly that airline personally.

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
This brings up a different question altogether. Have you or anyone else on this board ever been asked by Migracion to actually show a return ticket reservation? After all that would be the place to need it................
Migracion don't care. All they want is to cash on on your overstay fee when you leave. $$$

I just left the DR after 9 months (so 8 months as an illegal tourist) and Migracion didn't even bat an eye. They just made me pay 4000 pesos and said buen viaje.

Reactions: jd426

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
This brings up a different question altogether. Have you or anyone else on this board ever been asked by Migracion to actually show a return ticket reservation? After all that would be the place to need it................
No, because that is on the airlines to ask.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I worked for the airlines for several years and this is not new. The issue is not every airlines/ticket/gate agent follows the "rule/regulation" the same way. I have seen ticket counter agents allow passengers to continue on to the gate with a one-way ticket only to have the gate agent send them back to the ticket counter due to only having a one-way ticket. I know Jet Blue when making an online reservation for international travel has a pop-up reminding that you have only reserved a one-way ticket and do you want to continue. Normally (AA) when a reservation is made and based on the information you have provided (citizenship, etc..) the system flags (should) any reservation that may need an additional review such as needing a return/onward ticket. The fine for the airlines is rather hefty if a passenger is denied entry to said country due to the fault of the airlines (one-way ticket,etc..).

Reactions: windeguy

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I worked for the airlines for several years and this is not new. The issue is not every airlines/ticket/gate agent follows the "rule/regulation" the same way. I have seen ticket counter agents allow passengers to continue on to the gate with a one-way ticket only to have the gate agent send them back to the ticket counter due to only having a one-way ticket. I know Jet Blue when making an online reservation for international travel has a pop-up reminding that you have only reserved a one-way ticket and do you want to continue. Normally (AA) when a reservation is made and based on the information you have provided (citizenship, etc..) the system flags (should) any reservation that may need an additional review such as needing a return/onward ticket. The fine for the airlines is rather hefty if a passenger is denied entry to said country due to the fault of the airlines (one-way ticket,etc..).
Great. But is there anybody on this board that has EVER been denied entry at a Dominican airport arriving without a return ticket? I doubt you can find anyone that it has happened to. Migracion NEVER even asks for it...............

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Well how come most airlines don't even ask? As per people that actually travel in and out of here instead of those posting "opinions"...............
You would have to ask each airline why they don't comply with Dominican regulations they are not following.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Migracion don't care. All they want is to cash on on your overstay fee when you leave. $$$

I just left the DR after 9 months (so 8 months as an illegal tourist) and Migracion didn't even bat an eye. They just made me pay 4000 pesos and said buen viaje.
I bet they would have hugged you if it had been 8 years. There would have been a party after in your name, and everyone with a new suit and pair of shoes🤣

• Haha
Reactions: DR fan1990

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Great. But is there anybody on this board that has EVER been denied entry at a Dominican airport arriving without a return ticket? I doubt you can find anyone that it has happened to. Migracion NEVER even asks for it...............
Yes. My step grandson had to purchase a ticket out the DR before they would let him board in Miami on a MIA to POP flight.
I was there . I saw it personally. As others who worked for airlines posted. Nothing new at all here. Most airlines just don't ask most of the time for an outbound ticket despite being required to do so. Nothing hard to understand why they don't take the time.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Yes. My step grandson had to purchase a ticket out the DR before they would let him board in Miami on a MIA to POP flight.
I was there . I saw it personally.
That was not my question. It was arriving in the DR without a return ticket. Read my post again if you even read it once....

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
If migracion happens to be looking for a good, easy, reason to deny entry to someone, lack of a return ticket gives them a quick, simple excuse.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If migracion happens to be looking for a good, easy, reason to deny entry to someone, lack of a return ticket gives them a quick, simple excuse.
And if the Queen had hair on her chest she would be the King..................

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
You can always count on this subject coming up again and again and again when the forum runs low on hot topic content.

Reactions: drstock

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you think nobody has ever been denied entry into the DR - you're dreaming.
You are the one dreaming. So someone goes to Migracion. They ask for a return ticket and he does not have it. So you are saying he cannot get in right? Tell me what they do with him and the other hundreds of people without a return ticket. Put them all in jail, or send them to Wendy's for burgers? ..............

Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
I've never been asked to show a return ticket reservation. But I always have a return ticket within 30 days of my arrival, and that's the information I fill out on the inbound e-ticket.