Shock - Required Return Ticket if no residency

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
You are the one dreaming. So someone goes to Migracion. They ask for a return ticket and he does not have it. So you are saying he cannot get in right? Tell me what they do with him and the other hundreds of people without a return ticket. Put them all in jail, or send them to Wendy's for burgers? ..............
Read my post again. I said "IF they are looking for a convenient reason to deny entry....". In that case, the person would be sent back at the airline's expense.

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
You are the one dreaming. So someone goes to Migracion. They ask for a return ticket and he does not have it. So you are saying he cannot get in right? Tell me what they do with him and the other hundreds of people without a return ticket. Put them all in jail, or send them to Wendy's for burgers? ..............
I spoke to one Youtuber who was made to purchase a return ticket by Migracion before she was allowed to enter.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Read my post again. I said "IF they are looking for a convenient reason to deny entry....". In that case, the person would be sent back at the airline's expense.
But they are NOT looking for a convenient excuse as no one even gets asked by Migracion for a return ticket. NO ONE...

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I spoke to one Youtuber who was made to purchase a return ticket by Migracion before she was allowed to enter.
Amazing. No one this board was ever asked, but you found a :Youtuber. Yeah right................

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Well how come most airlines don't even ask? As per people that actually travel in and out of here instead of those posting "opinions"...............
Its NOT Opinion ...
I have personally been forced 2 times to purchase a Ticket on the spot .. the second time I said no more and I played their Game my way ..
One event a group of us got snagged , like 10 people all forced to buy return tickets on the spot .. A supervisor had to come out, and he was NOT fooling around when he said " you want to be on this flight or NOT .. your choice"
I know DOZENS of people who this had happened to .. Your generalization is not only off base it is completely False .
Yes it is a spot check, and if you travel to the DR like 4+ or more times a year , which some of us used to do you WILL get caught ,
it used to be like 10% - 20% of the time , now it could be much higher .

Reactions: windeguy

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
That was not my question. It was arriving in the DR without a return ticket. Read my post again if you even read it once....

Great. But is there anybody on this board that has EVER been denied entry at a Dominican airport arriving without a return ticket? I doubt you can find anyone that it has happened to. Migracion NEVER even asks for it...............
Correct . The DR does NOT ask when you arrive to see your return Ticket ..they only ask HOW LONG you are staying , and they will write 30 days I believe on your Entry Stamp .. that is as far as they go .
No one has ever been asked as far as we know , I have never heard of it happening first hand or second hand .
so on this part you are 100% correct .

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
If migracion happens to be looking for a good, easy, reason to deny entry to someone, lack of a return ticket gives them a quick, simple excuse.
And, what would be a reason that migration would ne "looking for a good, easy, reason to deny entry to someone" on those grounds. Do you know of ANYBODY in migration that is looking for extra work?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Correct . The DR does NOT ask when you arrive to see your return Ticket ..they only ask HOW LONG you are staying , and they will write 30 days I believe on your Entry Stamp .. that is as far as they go .
No one has ever been asked as far as we know , I have never heard of it happening first hand or second hand .
so on this part you are 100% correct .
Correct. They will write 30 days even if you say "just for the weekend". Same way going out: You stay 31 days without an extension you will pay the overstay fee (I think it was about 20-25 bucs),

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
She briefly describes it as a "visa issue." Why don't you reach out and ask her for confirmation?
She refers to it as a visa issue... They are speaking about moving to here, so as far as I could think, a "visa issue" would have to do with the residency visa? You told here that you spoke with this person, so please feel free to elaborate, but on the video, there is no mention of this issue at hand, as far as I can see...

When I still was arriving as a tourist to the DR, also nobody cared less if I had a return ticket...

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
When I still was arriving as a tourist to the DR, also nobody cared less if I had a return ticket...

So very true. However lack of enforcement isn't the same as lack of regulation. Laws and regulations are only as good as their enforcement. Remember attitudes change and some migration officers may actually start enforcing the return ticket regulation.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
One more thing, the IATA in a FAQ question list not having a return ticket as one of the reason passengers get rejected from boarding their flight. They also note that this regulation is rarely enforced but, like most things in life, this is subject to change. Estis admoniti.

What are the main reasons for a passenger to be rejected from boarding their flight?

1. Passport validity
    Each country demands that travelers' travel documents must be valid for a certain length of time, and, in many cases, it will vary by the nationality of the passenger
  2. One-way tickets
    Most countries have regulations that non-nationals must have a return or onward ticket showing that they do not intend to stay in the destination country; however, few actually enforce this
  3. Visa
    Passengers do not have a visa or it is invalid. This is becoming an increasingly complex area as many countries are starting to accept visas issued by other countries, e.g. Mexico will accept US visas

Reactions: cavok

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
But they are NOT looking for a convenient excuse as no one even gets asked by Migracion for a return ticket. NO ONE...
I'm not saying that they are purposely looking for people without a return ticket. You're totally missing my point.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
And, what would be a reason that migration would ne "looking for a good, easy, reason to deny entry to someone" on those grounds. Do you know of ANYBODY in migration that is looking for extra work?
There are a lot of reasons migracion might consider a person "undesirable". I'm not going to elaborate. Use your imagination. No return ticket makes it very easy to send them back where they came from.

veraugamike

Jul 22, 2019
Great. But is there anybody on this board that has EVER been denied entry at a Dominican airport arriving without a return ticket? I doubt you can find anyone that it has happened to. Migracion NEVER even asks for it...............
I think the idea is that an airline technically could be forced to bare the cost of returning a passenger in violation. But you are quite correct I doubt it ever happened. It would be bad press, bad for tourism, and just plain stupid.

Reactions: jd426

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Immigration at point of entry will or may not ask (probably not). This being because they are dependent of the airline screening before boarding. Is there anyone on this board who has had immigration ask for a return ticket? I doubt it. Would I go as far as saying that immigration never or will never ask? No, I would NEVER say NEVER. I am not sure what your point is? Is there a rule/regulation for a return/onward ticket, yes. Will all airlines impose the same process each and every time, probably not.

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
I think the idea is that an airline technically could be forced to bare the cost of returning a passenger in violation. But you are quite correct I doubt it ever happened. It would be bad press, bad for tourism, and just plain stupid.
Since when would someone who wants to enter a country illegally be bad press or bad for tourism? Have you ever heard of someone going to for example Europe without a visa and being denied entry crying out in the press??? Every country have their rights to demand whatever they want from people entering the country, it's not a right to enter the country.
And if you're really worried and you plan to stay here for longer than 30 days or without specific plans to return to your home, maybe you should get resident visa...... Just my 2 cents, I've never had an issue but then I've always been here legally....

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Some of you are really missing the Concept here .
And please don't lecture and group together the people who just simply want an OPEN ended Vacation of more than the Standard WEEK .
with the People who over stay , and or Plan to Over stay beyond 30 , this is a different Topic entirely ... IMHO.
Speaking of Europeans, most of them come to the DR for 3 weeks on their " Holiday " .
The no return ticket we are speaking of is for some of us for LESS time that that ..but Some of us Travelers do NOT WANT A HARD RETURN DATE ..
What is so hard to understand about this ? when you buy a Return and then Change it , that costs MORE money .. $150 at the least . and for what ?
Until you have traveled with no known return day , you have no idea how nice it can be . Complete relaxation , no countdown clock .
Try it , you may just really like it .