Smoking in the DR

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Wow, a member for almost 3 years, and THIS is your first post? Where've ya been?

Obviously this post hit a nerve. I feel for him, quitting is not easy. When I smoked I had no intention of quitting nor did I welcome anyone telling me their opinions regarding this wonderful pastime.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Go visit any palitive care oncology floor in ANY hospital and over 60% of the cancer patients were smokers.
Lung Cancer is a nasty way to die... Spitting up chunks of lung, and blood, coughing, and grasping for air..

The percentages for by pass surgery even higher.. About 70% former smokers.

I guess the morphine you get near the end is the only pleasure.

Last edited:

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Go visit any palitive care oncology floor in ANY hospital and over 60% of the cancer patients were smokers.
Lung Cancer is a nasty way to die... Spitting up chunks of lung, and blood, coughing, and grasping for air..

I watched my father die of emphysema and lung cancer. He needed an oxygen mask constantly for the last five months of his life, but was so addicted to the cigarettes that he'd remove the mask, puff on a cigarette and then replace the mask for a puff of oxygen - back and forth until he finished the cigarette.

It will be forty years since his death this Saturday and I can still see him with a lit cigarette in one hand and the oxygen mask held away from his face in the other.

Before I retired, I was notorious for stopping to talk to kids outside of school, those who were smoking, and asking them if they had any idea of the damage they were doing to themselves with the lit cigarettes they held in their hands.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Well I am an ex-smoker after developing throat cancer some 6 years ago but have come through the treatment successfully.

I do not know one restaurant in Santiago that permits smoking.

However I adore to this day the smell of a good cigar and I often join my old pal HB to smell the aroma as he smokes his cigars. I am happy with the whisky & coffee.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
There are few things I enjoy more than a nice cigar with good coffe and company, overlooking the Cibao valley from the terraces of Cafeito at La Cumbre.

The concentrated, almost meditative state reached when smoking a nice stick deeply relaxes me, the nuances in the tobacco are sometimes difficult to detect but when one does, they reward the consumer with interesting taste sensations..

At the same time it concentrates the mind, allowing me to take in the details of the valley floor from La Vega, through Santiago up till Navarette

Apart from it being very enjoyable, it is a product grown in the DR and contributes to the GNP...

The day this great Tobacco country really bans its use would be a sad day indeed...

But I agree that, as in all things, moderation is a good thing... both in Tobacco use and in debates over its use... it becomes civilised people...

Last edited:

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
I am there, Cafeito, at least twice a week. Strange I do not believe we have not met each other.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
I should qualify I smoked for 6 years when I was younger... Smoke free now 11 years... I just don't like it when I am eating
or some Euro trash contingent all sit a table next to us puffing away all at once....

mewookin

Jan 28, 2011
Wow, a member for almost 3 years, and THIS is your first post? Where've ya been?

Just the old Iron Worker in me coming out. I just aggravates me when people complain about someone smoking outside.
The smoker has just left whatever he was doing to go outside to smoke, and they cant take 2 steps out of their way to go
around them without complaining. I have no problem not smoking indoors, and I always make a point not to smoke right next to the entrance of a building out of consideration. Its too bad that some, and I repeat SOME, of the anti smokers cannot show a little consideration in return.

Just the old Iron Worker in me coming out. I just aggravates me when people complain about someone smoking outside.
The smoker has just left whatever he was doing to go outside to smoke, and they cant take 2 steps out of their way to go
around them without complaining. I have no problem not smoking indoors, and I always make a point not to smoke right next to the entrance of a building out of consideration. Its too bad that some, and I repeat SOME, of the anti smokers cannot show a little consideration in return.

It's too bad more smokers aren't as thoughtful as you, then we wouldn't be having this discussion!

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I should qualify I smoked for 6 years when I was younger... Smoke free now 11 years... I just don't like it when I am eating
or some Euro trash contingent all sit a table next to us puffing away all at once....

Oh, now we are Euro trash. Nice choice of words, and highly appreciated.

What about the American trash with no table manners, and voices loud enough to be heard throughout the restaurant.

I would appreciate it if you did not generalize as this shows exactly the trash you probably are.

BelgianK

mewookin

Jan 28, 2011

What about the American trash with no table manners, and voices loud enough to be heard throughout the restaurant.

I would appreciate it if you did not generalize as this shows exactly the trash you probably are.

BelgianK

I dont think he meant all Europeans
Probably just the Belgians

Just kidding

BelgianK

There is plenty of American and Canadian trash too don't worry! I always looked up to Europeans! Never thought of them as trash.... Who could think Europeans are trash really?!

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
You are correct.. I never should have said eurotrash. It was a group of Russians. I have nothing against europeans or anyone. Bad choice of words on my part.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
You are correct.. I never should have said eurotrash. It was a group of Russians. I have nothing against europeans or anyone. Bad choice of words on my part.

thanks, greatly appreciated. Please accept my apologies as well.

BelgianK

mewookin

Jan 28, 2011

Look, for me, smokers are foolish trailer trash morons, regardless where they come from!
There is no other habit, other than weed, that can be exposed to an innocent victim.
You don't get second hand alcohol, or cocaine, heroin, pill, meth, acid, etc etc.
This makes second hand smoke unique.
If a person wants to do a drug, it should never affect another and this has nothing to do with what can happen to an innocent victim because an impaired person injured an innocent bystander.

Love to be able to see how few people smoke tobacco in 500 years.

Smoking is for losers! The high, I'm told, wears off very fast and then you just become an addicted pawn for the tobacco companies.
Smarten up smokers!!!

This is what I meant when I was talking about the rabid anti smoking a##holes

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Don't be hating!
Not rabid.
Not an ass hole.
Smoking is for loooooooosers ......

Hey, some of my best friends are looooooooooosers.................
And........they don't even smoke................;);)

B in Santiago

Last edited: