Some Uber Driver tryed to rip off american Tourists at the Airport

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
They marked to pay (and did so) via credit card but the driver tried to scam them by telling that the payment didn't go through. See wahat's happened;

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
They marked to pay (and did so) via credit card but the driver tried to scam them by telling that the payment didn't go through. See wahat's happened;

Can't this be easily verified on the spot via the app or the account of the payer? The driver can say anything they want as long as the customers can prove him wrong?

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
Of course you can but no need to. If you choose "Credit Card" as payment while ordering a Ride with uber, they run the card for the estimated amount before you get your confirmation. Any problem with the card and you have to switch to "Pay in Cash" to get your Ride confirmed. Did you see the female police officer aproaching the Guy at the end of the Video !? ... Good luck explaining this to her. LOL

Reactions: NanSanPedro

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I sure wouldn't get hot and sweaty wrestling for my dirty clothes with a fat guy just before my flight.
I'd give him $40, making sure I dropped it on the ground to watch him scrabble for it.
Then I'd cancel the CC payment and give him negative reviews and report him to Uber.
I've never had a problem with Uber but I have several times with Taxis.

Reactions: Big

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I
I sure wouldn't get hot and sweaty wrestling for my dirty clothes with a fat guy just before my flight.
I'd give him $40, making sure I dropped it on the ground to watch him scrabble for it.
Then I'd cancel the CC payment and give him negative reviews and report him to Uber.
I've never had a problem with Uber but I have several times with Taxis.
I agree. The guy catching the flight might also have gotten a higher level of service from the P.D had he not been dressed like an unemployed weed smoker. People here get so much more service and respect when dressed professional or accordingly.

• Sad
Reactions: drstock and Fulano2

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I've used UBER hundreds of times in SD and have never had a problem. Pay cash = no problems.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
If you use them frequently, get the name and number of UBER and regular taxi drivers and use that system.

Most of the folks I deal with who do not have vehicles have trusted motorconchos and private cars they use exclusively.

Reactions: Seamonkey

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I've never had this happen but many times I have been asked to renegotiate for a higher price. This is why I stopped using Uber. Taxis are just as good.
Taxis are usually double the price, have crappy old cars and don't have an app.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I've never had this happen but many times I have been asked to renegotiate for a higher price. This is why I stopped using Uber. Taxis are just as good.
its so hard to take any advice from a man with a large tattoo on the back of his head.

Reactions: jd426

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
We used to take Uber to Las Americas Airport. As we had already done it a few times, for our last trip together, my cousin asked for an Uber with not a lot of time for a plan B. To make the story short, the driver called and told us he would only take us for $$$ another amount. My cousin accepted as we didn´t have much time and she doesn´t like to argue with drivers. Anyway, that was the last time I used we used it. We switched to DIDI.
I used to get into arguments with taxi drivers in SD all the time. . My cousin thinks it´s just not worth it to get into an argument for a couple of hundred pesos. I used to tell her that the problem is not 200 or 300 pesos, it´s how abusive they are.

Reactions: Lucifer

chicagoan14

Apr 2, 2019
It's only happened to me once after landing at SDQ. Driver knew I didn't have internet and canceled the trip mid-ride. He had some app that resembled uber and the price was higher than expected but there was traffic and i didn't think anything of it or have a chance to verify in the app. When i got upstairs to my apartment, i went into the app and saw that it was canceled.

I wrote Uber and they refused to assist implying i had tried to negotiate a price outside of the app. Other than that, no major issues with drivers.

TravelOverSky

Dec 30, 2023
Domican Republic
Ah, happen me here a lot of times also. I am using a lot of Ubers, and like 40-50% guys want only cash and other price (higher price) that Uber is showing. Few times I have situation that driver agrees, come to me and drive away without opening doors. I'm always giving additional tip in cash to drivers when they agree to drive with me without any problems. I understand that they are earning very less, but in general they should stop using Uber than make problems for clients.

DR is country when you never should pay via credit card. I even have to pay once again on immigration control (overstay). I had everything, billings from credit card, official letter from government that I pay it etc. Is always the same here, 'sorry I don't see in system that you paid or you do it once again, or you don't leave country'

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Sometimes when you try to save money in these types of situations it ends up costing you a lot more.
I travel light when visiting family in FL so returning to Santiago is always a breeze.
When exiting STI the PA car/ publico is directly outside of the airport entrance. I pay 80 pesos and take the front seat to myself. Drops me off in the center of town very close to where I live. No taxis, no Uber and no bs. Problem solved.
When in Rome...

Reactions: M4kintosh

JLSawmam

Sep 8, 2018
My experience with Uber here is limited to POP, other than one time in SDO which went fine. Here in POP, Uber gives a price that honestly is ridiculously low for the most part. For example, if I call a motoconcho to pick me up at my home and take me to Jumbo, I pay them 100 pesos. Uber quotes a price of 90 pesos. I know this is way too low, and it's not the driver's fault. So, when they message me and ask about paying more, I reply that I will pay 150 and have never been turned down. If I use a taxi for the same trip, most want 200 minimum. In SDO or SGO, perhaps the Uber quoted prices are a little more reasonable, but not the case here. As mentioned above, if the Uber driver offers their number and I'm happy with them, I'll call them direct after that

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
So, when they message me and ask about paying more, I reply that I will pay 150 and have never been turned down. If I use a taxi for the same trip, most want 200 minimum.
Unless things have changed drastically, the normal fare in POP for a trip within the city should be around 150 pesos for a regular taxi. You don't mention from where you want to go to Jumbo...