Sosúa Beach Renovations

Feb 16, 2016
-
May I speak plainly on this issue?

The nature of Sosúa Beach is changing slowly.
Which means that they are working on getting rid of the open air market for prostitution on the beach and the venders who cater to the participants in that market.
There are other people that use the beach also.
Just regular people.
And families, especially on Sunday.

That is not the real question...will they get rid of the open air market for prostitution on the main street?
That is the only way to truly change the nature of the reputation that Sosua has built up.

Will these new big money people residing in the condos provide enough revenue to support the vendors who cater to the participants in that market?
In my opinion, residents will not do that,
Residents cannot do that.

Sosua makes a lot of money from the VISITORS.
If they plan to actually remove street prostitution they are embarking on a 10 to 20 year project.
Because not only do they have to remove the street prostitutes...
They must then replace the VISITORS that patronize the many business that are on that street.
Residents are not going to do that.

Why?

Because only VISITORS spend money like they are one week millionaires
Residents don't spend money like that.
Unless the residents are actually going to be millionaires.
Cap Cana this is not.

Reactions: ramesses

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
May I speak plainly on this issue?

The nature of Sosúa Beach is changing slowly.
Which means that they are working on getting rid of the open air market for prostitution on the beach and the venders who cater to the participants in that market.
There are other people that use the beach also.
Just regular people.
And families, especially on Sunday.

That is not the real question...will they get rid of the open air market for prostitution on the main street?
That is the only way to truly change the nature of the reputation that Sosua has built up.

Will these new big money people residing in the condos provide enough revenue to support the vendors who cater to the participants in that market?
In my opinion, residents will not do that,
Residents cannot do that.

Sosua makes a lot of money from the VISITORS.
If they plan to actually remove street prostitution they are embarking on a 10 to 20 year project.
Because not only do they have to remove the street prostitutes...
They must then replace the VISITORS that patronize the many business that are on that street.
Residents are not going to do that.

Why?

Because only VISITORS spend money like they are one week millionaires
Residents don't spend money like that.
Unless the residents are actually going to be millionaires.
Cap Cana this is not.
The issue of the stigma of prostitution in Sosua and the harm it does to the DR's reputation is indeed something the government wants to eliminate.

The government would like that stigma to be eliminated and the alleged collateral damage to Sosua would be something they would live with.
I would even say the government would gladly live with that trade off. The government simply does not want those VISITORS. That should be very clear by now. The revenue from those VISITORS is insignificant to the DR government.

There are those that say very few prostitutes are being seen as of late on the beach in Sosua. Is that true?

Today on our way to La Catalina there were MANY buses at Sosua Beach.

Feb 16, 2016
-
You are not going to get an argument from me when a citizen of the Dominican Republic tells me what his government thinks.
The revenue from those VISITORS is significant to those who receive it.
And many of those are citizens also.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The government believes that, if they can change the image of Sosua, it will attract more families and couples. It could be a painful transition for some while that takes place.

Reactions: windeguy
Feb 16, 2016
-
A few relevant points...

1. I have read more than once that the North Coast has been left behind when it comes to tourism.
2. The families and couples will not be spending the kind of money that the other VISITORS do.
3. It is this transition that (even it occurs) and I don't believe it will, may simply morph in format while Sosúa remains known for the reputation it is currently known for.

Is there a huge AI project in the works that I don't know about?

Seems to me like someone has decided to swim upstream if they are hitching their wagon to the tourism. I've been all over this island and I don't care if they cleaned the place up to where I could eat of the sidewalk, in my opinion there are too many other excellent places to visit with the Dominican Republic. And one being talked about in another thread where a new international airport is being built that is on the come up.

Now unless someone want to argue with me about my opinions...a cleaned up Sosúa with it's numerous businesses already in place to serve a population would be ripe for massive residential development. A bigger and better Cabarete. The new Caberete: Sosúa

I have not seen a government in the world that is good at picking winners when it comes to the free market. They can do it. But people have a strange way of choosing to spend their money to benefit themselves. And not really paying attention to what the government want. Now put incentives in place that encourage development and enterprising individuals will invest to benefit themselves and if the incentives have been well thought out they will also benefit the government.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
A few relevant points...

1. I have read more than once that the North Coast has been left behind when it comes to tourism.
2. The families and couples will not be spending the kind of money that the other VISITORS do.
3. It is this transition that (even it occurs) and I don't believe it will, may simply morph in format while Sosúa remains known for the reputation it is currently known for.

Is there a huge AI project in the works that I don't know about?

Seems to me like someone has decided to swim upstream if they are hitching their wagon to the tourism. I've been all over this island and I don't care if they cleaned the place up to where I could eat of the sidewalk, in my opinion there are too many other excellent places to visit with the Dominican Republic. And one being talked about in another thread where a new international airport is being built that is on the come up.

Now unless someone want to argue with me about my opinions...a cleaned up Sosúa with it's numerous businesses already in place to serve a population would be ripe for massive residential development. A bigger and better Cabarete. The new Caberete: Sosúa

I have not seen a government in the world that is good at picking winners when it comes to the free market. They can do it. But people have a strange way of choosing to spend their money to benefit themselves. And not really paying attention to what the government want. Now put incentives in place that encourage development and enterprising individuals will invest to benefit themselves and if the incentives have been well thought out they will also benefit the government.
Sosua other business has been in a decline…mongers themselves are saying it..time will tell..went to Bailee’s first time in long time happy to report Sunday evening was families and couples inside , be it was a Sunday but still it was nice change no spandex in sight..

Reactions: cavok
Feb 16, 2016
-
Sosua other business has been in a decline…mongers themselves are saying it..time will tell..went to Bailee’s first time in long time happy to report Sunday evening was families and couples inside , be it was a Sunday but still it was nice change no spandex in sight..
Please give us a report on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
Is not Sunday a traditional family day everywhere in the Dominican Republic?

I know many visitors to Sosua that like the place because it is:
1. Short Flight
2. Walkable
3. Many excellent restaurants of different types
4. The Beach

Interesting...my friends are saying: "There is no place like Sosua".
Do I know a few who have ditched the place and headed to Colombia? I sure do.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Blue Collar Town in New Jersey

I was actually surprised ( from the Videos on U tube from the usual suspects) that Bailees was considered like one of THE SPOTS for Meeting and Mingling with the Spandex queens, and they had VIDEO evidence of it .. I never associated that place with a Restaurant like for example,
SEE This Link to a Previous Thread from 2009
Many of the Restaurants on that List are LONG gone now, for various reasons perhaps , but many were quite famous for "Hang out" spots and not really restaurants ..
Bailees has always been a Real Family Restaurant I thought . At breakfast perhaps there were groups of dudes Bragging about their Conquests , a little too loudly, but other than that it was a Family spot .

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
In general, the beach has never been a good place for prostitution. Assuming a scantily clad woman at a public beach is a prostitute might lead to an awkward conversation.
You wouldn't know it from going to YouTube and typing "Sosua" in the search bar.
Here are just a few screen shots of video captions that appear.
None of them are older than a week or two.
It is this exact imagine Mr. Collado has stated publicly on more than one occasion he plans on changing... permanently.

1679882752889.png
1679882696255.png

1679882803566.png

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
People watch YouTube to learn about what is going on right down the road in a country they live in?
Fascinating!
I agree. I do the same thing somedays. Tons of great information about this country and the beautiful
scenery it offers are now being promoted by home grown Dominican YouTubers. Unfortunately to much
of anything is always a bad thing. In this case too many Muppets.
Mr. Collado is all about creating a clean sterile imagine.
Seriously, they don't call him Mr. Selfie for nothing...

Reactions: bachata

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Blue Collar Town in New Jersey
You wouldn't know it from going to YouTube and typing "Sosua" in the search bar.
Here are just a few screen shots of video captions that appear.
None of them are older than a week or two.
It is this exact imagine Mr. Collado has stated publicly on more than one occasion he plans on changing... permanently.

View attachment 7429View attachment 7428
View attachment 7430

Like we have said and agreed on many many times before , these Dudes are orchestrating their own EXTINCTION ..
Its Mind blowing that they think they can KEEP Embarassing the Powers that be , with these Garbage Videos which serve NO useful Purpose otherwise

There are literally HUNDREDS , Possibly THOUSANDS of Videos like this now , all almost exactly the same ..
Identical Content ..
Real Brainiacs .