Sosua Beach Unions Want More Involvement

Status
Not open for further replies.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Nothing that bothers me. I have just noticed you talk about them often...like every day. I suppose I am wrong, it just looks to me that you are obsessed with the fact they are around. My bad, it appears you are fine with them.
Cabarete is for him like the first love in life.
First place he visited in DR.

JJ

Reactions: ramesses

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
What I like about the north coast beaches is how different they all are. Sosua, Cabarete, Rogelio, Caleton, Playa Grande etc - all are very different geographically with different atmospheres. At least one poster here keeps knocking Cabarete beach, but for me and many others it's a favourite. It's a matter of taste and mood and there is something for everyone. As they say, "Vive la difference!" - let's hope it's not ruined.
That’s a good point. There is more diversity as opposed to for instance the Punta Cana area.

Reactions: HDR

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
So location wise that looks like the same as the path in front of the vendors? If the vendors are no longer there, then the path kind of disappears too.

Lots of good pics in that link.
Does it matter that the path is within 60 meters from the water line?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
They won't. Why would they? They won't like the new beach rules. A "no glass bottles" rule alone will kill it for them. The buses will take them elsewhere.
Life goes on.
Oh my. There will be a no glass bottle rule?

Presidente will probably come up with a new plastic beer bottle for that. Oh wait, there are already cans.
They just need to get Johnny Walker transferred into plastic bottles while on the bus ride and that problem is solved.

Dominicans are remarkably resourceful when it comes to working around restrictions.

Reactions: cavok

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It can matter since that the 60 meter water mark is in the public domain. But witness what happened at Encuentro when money talked and private investors got the upper hand.

That said, Sosua Beach is a whole lot more visible and has much more interest from the general population than what went on at Encuentro.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006

I don't think so. I don't believe anybody places any historical significance on it. Some of the vendor shacks are inside the 60 meter setback, some are on the private property where the condos/hotel will be built.

The property owner and the developer made a deal with the gov't to build a couple of food plazas on either end to give the beach area a nice clean look. Those deals happen all the time when an area is being developed. It looks like those food plazas are going to be int the 60m's because the Presidente signed deeds - giving permission to build inside the 60m's. I doubt the path ever came up in the discussion.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
ctrob is correct that the government can make the ultimate decision on the 60 meter rule and environmental impacts.
That is what ended up finally stopping the construction at of a Ritz Carlton Reserve at La Boca after local governments had granted approval
to the project and it was already under way and then stopped. Marriott was not able to create a deal, but Sosua beach, it appears will soon have condos on the private land behind the beach and food courts with souvenir shops at either end. And of course that all important no glass bottle rule which Dominicans will never be able to work around in some people's minds :p .

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Ok, Presidente in cans. They'll need to bring their Ear Buds too, because of the "no loud music" rule.

I'm sure there will be some resistance to losing their "quaint" beach, but in the end they'll be bused to a different beach. Life goes on.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Ok, Presidente in cans. They'll need to bring their Ear Buds too, because of the "no loud music" rule.

I'm sure there will be some resistance to losing their "quaint" beach, but in the end they'll be bused to a different beach. Life goes on.
I had no idea there was a no loud music rule. A no loud music rule will certainly keep them all out. It is simply not possible for them to enjoy a day at the beach without it. I am only slightly facetious on this point. Blue tooth earbuds for all? Unlikely to feel the same.

If they gut bussed to a different beach, will Sosua dry up an disappear into nothingness?

Reactions: ctrob

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016

Maybe a rebranding to the name of Punta Sosua would be a plan.

Reactions: rover

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
ctrob is correct that the government can make the ultimate decision on the 60 meter rule and environmental impacts.
I was thinking the same thing.
This President has already signed the deeds.
No doubt there will be some losers in this battle.
I enjoy the beach, always have. Never thought
much about the bottles and loud music, comes
with the territory.

I believe Sosua will go down as a classic case of certain
things being tolerated until they are abused and I've no problem
with this administration reminding a few of these foreigners
that they are only guests in this country.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005

So, the rules are set up to keep Dominicans off the beach. I am sure the junta will make sure there are no Dominicans on the beach.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
So, the rules are set up to keep Dominicans off the beach. I am sure the junta will make sure there are no Dominicans on the beach.

Not even close.

I don't know what the exact rules will be, I'm just basing it on what I've seen at similar locations in the DR. But I would guess things like no glass and no loud parties will be two of them. Those rules are enforced on any beach in any 1st World Country. That's what we were discussing. We weren't discussing how to keep Dominicans off of a Dominican beach.

It will still be a public beach, people will just have to follow the rules - no matter where they come from.

Reactions: windeguy

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Not even close.

I don't know what the exact rules will be, I'm just basing it on what I've seen at similar locations in the DR. But I would guess things like no glass and no loud parties will be two of them. Those rules are enforced on any beach in any 1st World Country. That's what we were discussing. We weren't discussing how to keep Dominicans off of a Dominican beach.

It will still be a public beach, people will just have to follow the rules - no matter where they come from.
It's meant to keep Dominicans off the beach no matter how much lipstick you put on the pig. You know how Dominicans like to party....don't you? It's rarely quiet.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
People don't spend 300 to 600K on a beach condo with loud parties and no rules. That's a fact, they'll just go elsewhere. The whole point is to sell units.

Something else you don't realize, this is a Dominican project. Dominicans will be given preference at the pre-construction pricing, that's just how it works. So contrary to what you believe, there will be Doms on the beach. And they'll follow the rules because they realize the importance of safety and being a good neighbor.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
They may even handle it like a lot of the towers do on Ave. Anacaona here in SD.

Many have a residents board (similar to a HOA)that has to approve the sale or rental of any unit in their building. I know a few cases of persons who have been turned down (including some fairly famous ones) simply because their reputation preceded them.

Reactions: CristoRey and ctrob

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
People don't spend 300 to 600K on a beach condo with loud parties and no rules. That's a fact, they'll just go elsewhere. The whole point is to sell units.

Something else you don't realize, this is a Dominican project. Dominicans will be given preference at the pre-construction pricing, that's just how it works. So contrary to what you believe, there will be Doms on the beach. And they'll follow the rules because they realize the importance of safety and being a good neighbor.
Much like my alleged "favorite subject in Sosua" as some call it and are actually wrong about that, I agree 100% this is all local in origin. I am much more disappointed that the Cabarete bypass was not completed along the north edge of the public wetlands while it removed thousands of illegal dwellings than I could ever care about what happens on a small part of one section of Sosua or to the beach itself.

Those who suggest there is some plan to block Dominicans from Sosua beach I find laughable. The government now owns the land access to each end of the beach and not some private concern that could block access despite the 60 meter law.

That is not to say there is no international money involved. The Mormon run Marriot group and Scientologist Ahnvee/Dream City folks also have some interest in seeing things proceed at the beach and other changes in Sosua, but so does the current President of the DR who had to abandon a renovation of an AI resort near Perla Marina a few years back.

These plans, Dominican through and through, have been on the books for MANY YEARS for the beach and other parts of Sosua, and are just now being discussed and implemented with those in the respective areas. Things take time here compared to what many are used to back in their homelands.

How long before the work starts on the beach?

Reactions: ctrob

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Much like my alleged "favorite subject in Sosua" as some call it and are actually wrong about that, I agree 100% this is all local in origin. I am much more disappointed that the Cabarete bypass was not completed along the north edge of the public wetlands while it removed thousands of illegal dwellings than I could ever care about what happens on a small part of one section of Sosua or to the beach itself.

Those who suggest there is some plan to block Dominicans from Sosua beach I find laughable. The government now owns the land access to each end of the beach and not some private concern that could block access despite the 60 meter law.

That is not to say there is no international money involved. The Mormon run Marriot group and Scientologist Ahnvee/Dream City folks also have some interest in seeing things proceed at the beach and other changes in Sosua, but so does the current President of the DR who had to abandon a renovation of an AI resort near Perla Marina a few years back.

These plans, Dominican through and through, have been on the books for MANY YEARS for the beach and other parts of Sosua, and are just now being discussed and implemented with those in the respective areas. Things take time here compared to what many are used to back in their homelands.

How long before the work starts on the beach?
Been asking the same question.
Will they knock down the shacks before Christmas or have a little mercy?

Status
Not open for further replies.