Sosua Beach Unions Want More Involvement

Status
Not open for further replies.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Assuming the buildings are going to be 7 story, what is the maximum height for a building in the area?

HS10

Feb 17, 2008
Reality and Possibility:

Reality: Whatever is built on the land between the road and the beach, currently it would look out directly at the back of all the business's. While the front may have an eclectic charm , the back is completely ugly and a mess. No one would want to look out at that, out their window, as they look out at the beach/ocean.

Possibility: I had a lovely dinner on the beach at Caberete the other night. It's always so beautiful. And the thought occurred to me that 'the new system of things' could include development of nighttime dinning at Sosua Beach. Which would be nice!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Overall, I think Abinader made the best of a potentially very bad situation.
Nothing but talk and the receipt of two small pieces of land for the plazas have happened so far. Let us wait until the stuff hits the fan before we see how well this all goes.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Reality and Possibility:

Reality: Whatever is built on the land between the road and the beach, currently it would look out directly at the back of all the business's. While the front may have an eclectic charm , the back is completely ugly and a mess. No one would want to look out at that, out their window, as they look out at the beach/ocean.

Possibility: I had a lovely dinner on the beach at Caberete the other night. It's always so beautiful. And the thought occurred to me that 'the new system of things' could include development of nighttime dinning at Sosua Beach. Which would be nice!

As to use of the beach in the evening, absolutely. Condo owners & renters in a hotel expect to use a beach at night. But it'll be nothing at all like the current atmosphere. If anyone wants a to see what it will look like after the project is complete, take a stroll on the beach at Playa Dorada in front of Riviera Azul or Blue JackTar. That's what it will look like.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Reality and Possibility:

Not sure what businesses you're talking about, but you'd be looking at the hills on the other side of the road when looking out the rear of a condo built there.

Reactions: windeguy

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Nothing but talk and the receipt of two small pieces of land for the plazas have happened so far. Let us wait until the stuff hits the fan before we see how well this all goes.
It's more than just talk when you look at the meetings the union has had recently. Is it possible that they will be able to block it? Maybe, but I seriously doubt it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It's more than just talk when you look at the meetings the union has had recently. Is it possible that they will be able to block it? Maybe, but I seriously doubt it.
I do agree that it will happen and soon, but the proof is in the pudding. The vendors aka the union have virtually no chance to change the plans. They have no legal basis to do so.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
The maximum height corresponds directly to the amount of the "donation" made to the proper political party. There are no regulations that can't be broken with some kickback money.
Kinda like the 60ish meter rule. Lots of nuance.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
If need be they will probably be handled same as they are handled in similar situations in other parts of the country.

The PN will come in backed by the military followed by the bulldozers. The NGO's, Human Rights Groups, Business Association, Mom and Pop, locals, ect... will protest and complain which will fall on deaf ears as Luis, Collado and several other wealthy/ connected players consider Sosua to be a stain on the country's international tourism reputation due to the activities the town has become so well-known for, in part, thanks to a few Muppets who worked so tirelessly to promote the very worst the town has to offer on platforms like FeyBoo and YouTube.

In this administration's eyes, along with a few religious organizations on the north coast, these changes are long over due.

In my opinion (as I've said before) Sosua will go down in history as a classic case of something being tolerated until it was abused. Sad.

And then of course the whole lot sits on one of the most pristine bays in the western hemisphere so it was only a matter of time before someone sought to develop it.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Not sure what businesses you're talking about, but you'd be looking at the hills on the other side of the road when looking out the rear of a condo built there.

I had to read it twice too, but I think HS was talking about looking at the back side of the vendor shacks. Which is pretty ugly.

Reactions: Buzzard

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
where will all the chicas go? There is not enough hourly cabanas in Cabarete.

90% of them will just have to eat less. Which is a healthy thing for them.

But seriously, I really think another location will pop up to replace Sosua. My theory has always been Montellano.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Why wouldn't it go back to Charamicos where it originated in the 1940's?
A bit like leading the lambs to the slaughtering house, don't ya think?
I think their overall plan is to get rid of it's outward appearance on the
north coast. Of course it will continue to exist but they clearly want it out
of site. If that were not the case, they would not be building parking lots
where well-known bars and clubs once stood.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
90% of them will just have to eat less. Which is a healthy thing for them.

But seriously, I really think another location will pop up to replace Sosua. My theory has always been Montellano.
Maybe in the old sugar factory?

Status
Not open for further replies.