Spousal sponsorship to Canada.....poster Castro's process start to finish thread

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Hi

Is it true that someone travelling from the Dominican Republic for the first time can not go through the united states to Canada.

Yes this is true because a person with a Canadian PR card would need a visa for the US so a direct flight is what you need.

Even living in Canada with a PR card they would need a visa if they want to visit the US.

SJSantos

Oct 9, 2006
Congrats Castro. What an exciting time! I booked my husbands flight here in Ontario. (JUNE 07) He flew Air Canada out of Punta Cana direct flight to Toronto. I faxed him the e-ticket and all was good. He arrived, finished with immigration, had his suitcase in hand and was through the gates within 45 minutes of landing. I wish you all the best! Sandy

castro

Jul 5, 2007
It was about nine months

Actually Marto417 this coming wednesday (Dec 12/07) will be nine months from the day we started in the Mississauage office. And as we speak he left tonight and is staying in a hotel , to make sure he is at his 10:00 am appiontment in the morning. This is when he will drop off his passport to get the visa to come to Canada. Where are you from?

castro

Jul 5, 2007
Any help will do

Hi SJSantos how do you go about buying his ticket here? Was it cheaper to do it this way? How's your husband liking the snow? Where in Onatrio do you live? I live in Ontario too, outside of T.O.

SJSantos

Oct 9, 2006
Castro- I purchased the ticket through a travel agent. The flight was $1300
My husband didn't want to travel from SD to POP. So he flew out of Punta Cana..hence the price. He is loving the snow and loving the snow blower. I will pm you about the rest. Sandy

micky33

Nov 23, 2006
Hi
My husband flew from pop with sky service (air transat) The day my husband had his visa in his hands i called Air Transat in pop and saved him a seat until he got back from SD, it cost us $500 CND jst a month ago. :)
And he is hating the weather......

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
westjet

i think west jet starts flying to puerto plata soon....the one way ticket is about 310 plus 100 tax...approx.

i would suggest checking them out

they fly tuesday & fridays

castro

Jul 5, 2007
Thanks everyone

When he was looking into tickets, all he mentioned was air transat, I guess I will mention west jet to him and see if that would be cheaper. I want to go with the cheapest ticket we can buy right now. I can't wait for all this to be behind us. This was a very long and stressful nine months. And I'm sure you would all agree.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
West Jet Seat Sale POP-YYZ

Here is the price for Tuesday Dec 18 (next week) from the westjet website.
They dont allow you to book a one way departing from Westjet so you would probably have to call & ask on the phone how to book the ticket but the price is pretty great!!

Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic(POP) to Toronto, ON(YYZ)
Price $149.00 CAD - Seat Sale Fare Plus $56.30 tax
Depart 16:15 (POP)
Arrive 19:34 (YYZ)
Flight# WS 1101
Duration 4hr 19min

castro

Jul 5, 2007
thank you so much

That seems too good to be true, wow that's amazing. I hope I can get a ticket for that price. I will have to look into it. He said his gonna find out down there too. Thanks for the info.

mart0417

Oct 25, 2006
Actually Marto417 this coming wednesday (Dec 12/07) will be nine months from the day we started in the Mississauage office. And as we speak he left tonight and is staying in a hotel , to make sure he is at his 10:00 am appiontment in the morning. This is when he will drop off his passport to get the visa to come to Canada. Where are you from?

that is so good for you, the first time we applied my husband went for his interview after 5 months, so I was hoping it would be the same time frame this time around. I am from Saskatchewan Canada, and you ?

castro

Jul 5, 2007
that is so good for you, the first time we applied my husband went for his interview after 5 months, so I was hoping it would be the same time frame this time around. I am from Saskatchewan Canada, and you ?

I'm from Toronto

Last edited by a moderator:

castro

Jul 5, 2007
How long to get back the passport for visa to Canada?

Does anyone know how long it takes to get back a passport, when they send it to Haiti to insert the visa?

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Depends if they loose your passport or not.

If they loose it...which has happened...it will take a lot longer.

I'm not sure of the standard time, they should tell you when you drop your passport off in SD.

I'm sure some posters who have gone through this experience will reply soon! :)

ron-anejo

Dec 17, 2006
when i applied !!!

Hola, when I went to SD ,,We went back 2 weeks later to collect our passports and denial. In fact every person who was there 2 weeks earlier were also denied.. Lo siento.....In fact I do not understand why our embassy is in Haiti .....

Last edited by a moderator:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Hola, when I went to SD ,,We went back 2 weeks later to collect our passports and denial. In fact every person who was there 2 weeks earlier were also denied.. Lo siento.....In fact I do not understand why our embassy is in Haiti .....

Was that for a permanent residency visa? Castro's husband has gone for his interview already.

Castro others have written that when they return to Haiti it normally takes a week or two. Let's hope they put a rush on it.

COROLLA24

Apr 11, 2004
community.webshots.com
My husband dropped off his Passport on a tuesday in SD and was called two weeks later to pick it up on a thursday.
Im sure they all vary... But at the SD Consulate the lady at the desk told my husband "we will call you in 2 to 3 weeks" And they did..

mona

Aug 19, 2005
Can anyone tell me if there are certain days that you can pick up your visa? Or could you be called to pick it up any day of the week?