Starlink Arrived in the DR

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Guy got Starlink in Santo Domingo and gives reviews in Spanish. The main things he says is that it's obvious what is inside the box, it pays no taxes to aduana, it's heavier than thought, easy installation and speeds are similar or less than the Altice service, plus with Altice he gets more in the bundle (tv, phone, etc) for less.

RolandoMalena

Aug 9, 2022
Cotui
I had Starlink for a whole week by now, in average the speeds are 100 down and 20 up, there are spikes (specially at night), I've seen it get up to 300 down and 50 up but just count as if you have 100 down and anything else is extra.

If you have fiber as an option you don't need starlink, that's my opinion on it. The internet is super reliable except when it rains, we got many quick rains lately and it drops until the rain slows down, I do have concerns on prolonged rains but will give an update if that happens.

I love in Cotui so I don't have fiber and starlink is a great alternative in my case, but if we get fiber I will definitely try them out and potentially stop using Starlink, but I have no idea when that will get to happen.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
I just got an email from Starlink stating the monthly fee will be reduced to 2,900 pesos, has anyone else gotten this email?

EDIT: Just entered to the order page in incognito, and people can get this internet at the above price, maybe they want more people ordering from the country:
I got the same email. If this is true, that would be incredible!
Effective 8/24/2022, Starlink is reducing your monthly service fee to DOP 2,900.

The price reduction factors in your local market conditions and is meant to reflect parity in purchasing power across our customers.

No action is needed from you, the price reduction will be automatically reflected on invoices generated after 8/24/2022.

Thank you for being an early customer and for your continued support of Starlink!

drisforme

May 28, 2016
Effective 8/24/2022, Starlink is reducing your monthly service fee to DOP 2,900.

The price reduction factors in your local market conditions and is meant to reflect parity in purchasing power across our customers.

No action is needed from you, the price reduction will be automatically reflected on invoices generated after 8/24/2022.

Thank you for being an early customer and for your continued support of Starlink!
Same email here !

zeferus

Feb 22, 2022
Canada

I received the same email

RolandoMalena

Aug 9, 2022
Cotui

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
How do you reorder within your account? I can only seem to do it if I make new one

RolandoMalena

Aug 9, 2022
Cotui
How do you reorder within your account? I can only seem to do it if I make new one
I think you can do so by clicking the home page and then on the "Your Starlinks" section, click the plus sign, not sure if it looks the same for you but this is how I can order a second starlink.

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
THANK YOU ELON !!!!

I average over 200MB down.. thats 20 times the speed of claro and only 900 more pesos..

What was funny was when I took my dsl router back to claro in Bavaro.. the idiot refused to accept it and cancel my account. She said I would have to pay next months bill, and ask for a refund. I told her, I dont roll like that.. They didnt have a manager at the location, said come back tomorrow..

I just said GOODBYE and took a picture of her with my router and left.

These people are so stupid.. "pay your month in advance, and then ask for refund." :LOL::LOL::LOL:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
THANK YOU ELON !!!!

I average over 200MB down.. thats 20 times the speed of claro and only 900 more pesos..

What was funny was when I took my dsl router back to claro in Bavaro.. the idiot refused to accept it and cancel my account. She said I would have to pay next months bill, and ask for a refund. I told her, I dont roll like that.. They didnt have a manager at the location, said come back tomorrow..

These people are so stupid.. "pay your month in advance, and then ask for refund." :LOL::LOL::LOL:
To cancel an account with these morons you almost have to just stop paying. Then they cancel you real quick. Otherwise they want more money towards the contract. Screw them............

Reactions: NAGUA

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
To cancel an account with these morons you almost have to just stop paying. Then they cancel you real quick. Otherwise they want more money towards the contract. Screw them............
Altice will let you sign up in Samaná, but if you want to cancel, they cannot help you. You need to drive to Nagua. 😡😡

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
THANK YOU ELON !!!!

Don't forget Luis Abinader. He personally met with the Starlink people in California and because of him asking them to extend the service to the DR, the DR is among the first Latin American countries to get Starlink.

Last edited:

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
Elon's launching more sattelites today. News is for larger antenae to connect with cell service. So far US only next year with T mobile. I guess everyone can have a sat phone pretty soon. Kool.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Reminder, this thread is about Starlink. No political posts/comments.

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
Does Starlink change the signal depending on what address you input?

I'd like to get DR pricing for my starlink back in the states.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
THANK YOU ELON !!!!

Kind of similar to EdeNorte taking my payment but crediting an account number with one number different than mine then coming to disconnect me 1 day post due date on my account.
They said I'd be credited on next billing cycle.
But when I wasn't credited they said we can not do that - I would have to ask the owner of the other account for the 1500 pesos misdirected payment. But of course they could not release his information.
WTF !
At least Delancer is a no contract service.

Amaia Diaz

Apr 14, 2020
hi everyone, been trying for the last month to confirm an order on Stralink.com. I can put my address in and it accepts it but can't make payment - have tried UK cards, my Dominican cards but I get the same error - "something went wrong on our end, Please try again later" ... It's not being flagged as fraud with my cards, and it is sometimes taking a small amount from my cards, then immediately refunding. I'm in the UK physically so not sure if that has anything to do with why I'm not able to pay - have tried using an incognito window, a different browser and US VPN but getting same message... Obviously can't contact Starlink :-( Has anyone had these issues and found a way around??? Thanks

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
hi everyone, been trying for the last month to confirm an order on Stralink.com. I can put my address in and it accepts it but can't make payment - have tried UK cards, my Dominican cards but I get the same error - "something went wrong on our end, Please try again later" ... It's not being flagged as fraud with my cards, and it is sometimes taking a small amount from my cards, then immediately refunding. I'm in the UK physically so not sure if that has anything to do with why I'm not able to pay - have tried using an incognito window, a different browser and US VPN but getting same message... Obviously can't contact Starlink :-( Has anyone had these issues and found a way around??? Thanks
I was constantly getting the same error. And because I couldn't contact anyone Starlink, I gave up. I'm not prepared to spend that kind of money with a company I cannot communicate with.

Initially, I thought it was a problem with my UK bank card, but now you've mentioned you tried your Dominican bank card and also failed. I have no idea what the problem is. You've even tried incognito and VPN, yet others have been successful.

As much as I would love to have Starlink, until I can talk to them, I'm out.

Please re-post here if you get a result.