Stay away from Haina/San Cristobal today

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Doesn't matter who points the finger at who. Nothing will change when it comes to the way Dominican truckers drive. If you've ever met one/ sat down and had a converstion with one....
you would understand why.
One of the things that depresses me the most about living here.
Having dealt one-on-one with them all my adult life, I can count how many I have met who can have an educated conversation on one hand.
Driving trucks (or cars, or motorcycles for that matter) always seems to be the occupation they pursue.

Nov 9, 2023
SC
I know this route quite well as it is the second option from SDE to SC, via the malecon, when 27feb is packed which it is most of the time.

The issue is it has sections with 4 lanes, 2 lanes, busy and quieter sections. The jams are almost always in the same areas regardless how many lanes. When there is any space (or not) they take it. Then at the longer quiet sections they give it all. Especially camions. You really have to be aware of them and upcoming jams. So it is not a big surprise that this happened.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
FWIW, this made the news because a lot of lives were lost. Both Carretera Sanchez and the Nov. 6 highway are meatgrinders; both have accidents daily.

Reactions: CristoRey and Big

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Doesn't matter who points the finger at who. Nothing will change when it comes to the way Dominican truckers drive. If you've ever met one/ sat down and had a converstion with one....
you would understand why.
interesting. I would like to hear more. I notice some trucks (tractors) are shined up like the hope diamond, custom paint jobs and decals. Most however are put back together and clearly missing parts. I don't think tractor trailers should be allowed on George Washington as it is such a scenic road. I have a touch of truck knowledge as it relates to shipping via a low boy trailer.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Driving trucks (or cars, or motorcycles for that matter) always seems to be the occupation they pursue.

Thinking of scales, with car or motorcycle, the damage/harm you can cause to others is much more limited than a truck like this...

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Has the driver made any statements? Has the Civil Defense hypothesized about what he did?
Haven't seen anything else in the news other than he's detained at the Centro del Automovilista

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
the driver and the owner of the company should be hanging from a tree .... barbaric animals
We don't know about the roadworthiness of the truck in this case. It may have been perfect. I used to own a transport company back in the UK. My trucks had to be of the highest standard. If one of my drivers lost control and ploughed into the back of a line of traffic, I don't see why I should have been "hanging from a tree".

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
We don't know about the roadworthiness of the truck in this case. It may have been perfect. I used to own a transport company back in the UK. My trucks had to be of the highest standard. If one of my drivers lost control and ploughed into the back of a line of traffic, I don't see why I should have been "hanging from a tree".
I don't know what your back in the UK story has to do with DR, but you do realize the law here is go after anyone that can pay.

• Love
Reactions: Big

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I don't know what your back in the UK story has to do with DR, but you do realize the law here is go after anyone that can pay.
The reason I mention my past is that I feel that it would have been wrong to suggest that I should be executed if one of my drivers killed somebody due to bad driving. I apply that same principal to whoever owns the truck that crashed in the DR. Get it?

However, I agree with what you say about DR law.

It really isn't necessary to argue with everything I post or respond with a reply that you consider witty.