The Gringo Report Nov. 15 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
great advice. just last week, i met this woman while i was having a beverage at a caseta. i told her to pull up a chair, and bought her a beer. we exchanged numbers, and that was it. Sunday afternoon, while i am watching some football, the phone rings. she wants to know if i can help her with some money to go see her daughter in Santiago.

i tell her to pretend she had never met me, and see how things turn out.

its hard to say no....I only do micro loans

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
sometimes i just tell them to earn it....the old fashioned way.............rake my yard>>>>>>>>

islandhopping

Nov 11, 2014
I rented an apartment on-line for about a week in the Capitol. It was advised the interior space was open the outside, but there were an air condition bedroom, kitchen and bathroom. I thought I can handle that from the pictures on-line, the owner was from Florida. The deposit was made on-line, before I left for the DR. I arrive in the Capitol from spending a week elsewhere in the country. Finally arrive at the apartment in the western side of the Colonial Zone. It appeared similar to the French quarter in New Orleans, I thought. The property manager, a Dominican, gave me a rapid walk through and explain the details for the arrangement. It was just past dusk. While he was talking, all the advice and lessons from my guide of the previous week flooded into my mind.

First red flag, the rate of his conversation, because he had other arrangements to attending after me. This was odd, I was a paying customer and it was in advance.

Second red flag, I believe the owner was informed I can't tolerate any lingering cigarette smoke. The bedroom smelled as if a carton of cigarettes was just smoked.

Third red flag, the atrium was directly open to sky above, only separated by bars. It looked nice, whoever rain, mosquitoes, humidity would not be welcomed. Maybe staying in the bedroom would counteract the inconvenience. This was not an option, the bedroom has embedded cigarette smoke. The manger, which stays in the apartment above runs off to take of something and explains he will be back later. Dominican later.

The place was as presented on-line in the pictures. I tried to ventilate the bedroom, even the bathroom. It was a one bedroom with not much extra space, beyond the front room and atrium. After 20 minutes of trying to make it work, I gave up and connected to the wifi to locate a hotel until I can figure out my options. This places was not workable. I called a taxi I was referred during the previous week. While the taxis was en route, I attempted to call the property manager a couple times, no luck. I then called the owner back in Florida and left a messages explain the problem. Possibly he had another apartment for my duration or receive a refund. At this time I was not too optimistic give the red flags.

The taxi driver suggested a hotel a few minutes away. We arrive and I ask the front desk to allow me to inspect the room before I book it. It was a newer place, clean and had no oder. The taxi leaves, I move into the hotel room. Now this is about 90 minutes from my arrive to the apartment. I get a phone call from the owner. He was confused from my messages, because his property manager stated I was moved in and comfortable in the apartment beneath him. I can tell I was dumped with a lemon apartment. My thoughts at the time, the manager had a conversation with owner a few minutes ago. While I tried to call him before I left the apartment, Dominican timing I guess.

The owner and I worked out another place would be available in a few days. The money paid would apply to the new apartment, which rented at a higher rate. It worked out by me staying less days in his property. The hotel was cheaper per day than either apartment options. I almost wanted to stay at the hotel, however I wasn't going to get the deposit back for the apartment.

Moving round the Capitol the next day to get my bearings and exploring alone. This second leg of the trip was going well. I dodged a crappy deal. The following day, there is a couple night stay out of town I scheduled. While I wait for the other apartment to become available. I planed a trip. Trying to avoid paying for the current hotel room and this excursion hotel stay for the same days. I asked the apartment manager can I leave my bags at your place to save me some money. Sure thing he says just give me a call. The afternoon before I leave, I called, I called, I called and I called. Leaving messages during every call, lucky I got a local cell phone to keep the price down.

Evening comes, I resign to just pay double for the hotel rooms while I am away. Going to the front desk,. It is explain I will be gone a few days, I don't need the room clean. To prevent a thief of items, I hope. Nothing was taken, the hotel was clean and quite courteous at all times. The rooms was paid in advance for the days I would be away. I did not get a receipt at the time, the printer wasn't cooperating. Now, the first day and every day, I insisted on a receipt. Well, just pick it up when you return from the trip, Right?

Coming back after my trip, the employee knows me from the initial check in is working. The employee I paid in advance is not working that shift. The current night stay is being paid, the employee looks at me, explains you owe for the days you were away. That is not right, those days were paid the night before I left. Sir, I do not have anything showing your payment. Red flag goes up. You should check the log book, which is recored by pen and the computer I suggest. He says, I do not see anything. My previous week training kicks in, I ask him to call the other employee. The primary thing going around in my head, you knew you should have gotten a receipt or something written and signed before you left. At that time my Spanish was at level 0. Now, maybe it is level 0.5. I could tell reading his motions, he was directed to look up the computer again. He explain she did take my payment and he would provide me a receipt for those days. Problem averted and do not repeat, keep your guard up even if they appear professional I am thinking.

The following day, I finally reached the manager for the apartment. I did not express the feeling of being slighted by his unreliable offer, which could have save me $120 USD. This makes me wonder how will the next apartment fiasco occur. It is a vacation and food though toward the next eventual short coming. Because the amount involved was small, it did not detract from the over experience of the country.

The echo of the previous week comes back. A couple women start sending me texts, which I translated on my computer. My mother is very sick can you help? What, is there an epidemic I did not notice in the new? One claim she would accompany me to the Capitol, no sign of her because her mother was sick. The other did not return my call on her day off. I called my guided from last week, he says she was probably with her real man or her main gringo that day. I do not even feed the kittens roaming my neighborhood at home. I bought them lunch and gave a few pesos for showing me around. I am not brave enough to take services any further in this foreign country. I did plenty of research on the social habits and STD rate. Just ignore it and there is no problem, there is no spoon (the matrix).

The next apartment turned out to be acceptable, except for the evening street traffic on the weekend. It was not too bad at all. Security, gated, other tenants in the complex, convenient and not on the ground floor. The apartment arrangement ended up great. By this time, I can rely on myself to get around exploring using the gua gua, the subway and taxis.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Maybe if some of you gringos learned the language and customs and moved out of the tourist areas where Dominicans with similar lack of values like yourselves gravitate you wouldn't have such a poor perception and experiences of the DR. Just sayin'. :)

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
Lived in DR for a year,only reason we came back was my hip replacement.Maybe I was fortunate.I lived in a building in Bella vista.ALL the neighbors in the building,were well off and educated(rare combo down there)There was no showing off, everyone would say hello,very family oriented.If you want American style customer service, you will pay American prices.I found a good Electrician and Plumber,They charged American prices,but show up on time,are responsible and their work is superb.Also an AC technician.If you have that in DR,that's half the battle.It's trial and error pretty much.Don't ship your personals if you gonna needed in a timely matter.I would buy my vehicle down there instead,I shipped mine and it took two months.If you can buy new
down there,even better.Stayed in the good circles.There are lots of educated Dominicans that know how to navigate the system,but you best best are middle to middle upper,because the educated,well off,don't speak about small issues.When you try to get
bargains,the level of service will be the same.My opinion,not a fact.

islandhopping

Nov 11, 2014
gorgon: just the preference at the time of writing the story.

Chip: I slept in the tourist areas, I did not spend my days only in that area. Which is why I took local transportation, and not always a taxi to explore. I spent a few evenings hanging out in the hood, no tourist police around. Siting on the sidewalk watching and talking to real people. I even stop in a hole in the wall outside of town, there was anybody around, we left for the next places.

The best view I saw in SDQ was the last few stops on the subway elevated track, going north. I am open to suggestions of places to visit.

I understand your point. Some friends were planning a trip to POP this year. I tried to offer another option for beside the resort, staying in an apartment off the resort. I presume the culture barrier and apprehension prevent that from being a consideration.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Maybe if some of you gringos learned the language and customs and moved out of the tourist areas where Dominicans with similar lack of values like yourselves gravitate you wouldn't have such a poor perception and experiences of the DR. Just sayin'. :)

I much prefer the attitudes and personalities of the Dominicans in the Campo over Sosua. I'm the Campo people were polite, friendly, and helpful. If I survive Sosua and decide to stay long term in the DR, I will be in the country once again with the locals.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
i agree in your case; however, the socioeconomic stratum from which your spouse hails is nothing like the one that most of the women alluded to in these passages call home. when you are independently self sufficient, the dynamics change exponentially.
I deal all the time with hundreds of top-shelf, highly educated women with high moral values and strong family structures who are in the professional class. I interface with them daily.

The perception "thing" is the problem of gringos who come to the DR and hang with whores & tigueres in the low-rent tourist area barrios. They are clueless when it comes to dealing with other social and economic strata of the country.

I don't understand why people who didn't hang with lowlife ghetto scum in their old country hang with that element here.

All relationships are an exchange of some sort. If all you offer is a tad more cheese than the lowlifes, that will be the nature of the relationship. To enter the upper strata of Dominican social or economic strata---where the vast majority of the quality educated, high-moral & family oriented women (and men) exist---one has to offer them something beyond a pensioners marginal disposable income, because the petty cash in their wallet exceeds that; most can buy and sell 90+% the average gringos coming to the DR.

In the DR, your reputation is largely based on who your family is, who you know, the neighborhood where you live and who you hang out with. ROUTINELY, the first 10-15 minutes of a first business meeting is a social chat to find common friends and relatives on the extended family tree. If you pass that the meeting takes a positive tone; fail that and it will be short and doomed.

And, yes, shallow as it currently exists in the uber-PC US & Europe, appearance does, indeed, matter. In a HUGE way.

It is what it is.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
you are a smart cookie. these folks are not hard to figure out. i was strolling on the malecon one early afternoon, and two girls came up to me and said that they were hungry, and asked me if i could spot them some money to buy some food. we were not too far from La Sirena, so i told them that i would pay for something to eat in La Sirena. one of them said that that would not work, because they both had the "gripe", and did not have much of an appetite at that moment.

hey, i did not say they were on the short list for the Nobel Prize...

He's smart because he didn't give a guy who has been good to him USD6??? I think the correct word is cheap.

As far as these Dominicans not being on the "short list" that is saying little given that they hand them out like candy nowadays.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I deal all the time with hundreds of top-shelf, highly educated women with high moral values and strong family structures who are in the professional class. I interface with them daily.

The perception "thing" is the problem of gringos who come to the DR and hang with whores & tigueres in the low-rent tourist area barrios. They are clueless when it comes to dealing with other social and economic strata of the country.

I don't understand why people who didn't hang with lowlife ghetto scum in their old country hang with that element here.

All relationships are an exchange of some sort. If all you offer is a tad more cheese than the lowlifes, that will be the nature of the relationship. To enter the upper strata of Dominican social or economic strata---where the vast majority of the quality educated, high-moral & family oriented women (and men) exist---one has to offer them something beyond a pensioners marginal disposable income, because the petty cash in their wallet exceeds that; most can buy and sell 90+% the average gringos coming to the DR.

In the DR, your reputation is largely based on who your family is, who you know, the neighborhood where you live and who you hang out with. ROUTINELY, the first 10-15 minutes of a first business meeting is a social chat to find common friends and relatives on the extended family tree. If you pass that the meeting takes a positive tone; fail that and it will be short and doomed.

And, yes, shallow as it currently exists in the uber-PC US & Europe, appearance does, indeed, matter. In a HUGE way.

It is what it is.

one of the main problems is the language barrier. when your interests require communication, then you need to learn spanish, if you live here. i am a guy of two main pleasures; jazz, and high end stereo equipment. i have found a small fraternity of people in the country who share my interests, but they do not speak english, so, in my case, spanish is a necessity. when you are operating at the level where poon is the central issue, you do not need to be able to say anything more esoteric than "mas cerveza, por favor". you can bluff the rest. you cannot use hand signals to discuss Duke Ellington.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
He's smart because he didn't give a guy who has been good to him USD6??? I think the correct word is cheap.

As far as these Dominicans not being on the "short list" that is saying little given that they hand them out like candy nowadays.

He wants US$250. And, I have already given him US$50 for his broken house 'cause I agreed to pay him for a weeks vacation in stead of him taking a weeks vacation.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
If I were a new person to the forum and stumbled across this thread I would come away with the conclusion that all Dominicans are crooks because some guy decided to give a non professional laborer 100% of the contract up front. Try that in the States and see how many times you get burnt.

I have been doing construction in the States and the DR and there is little difference, ie you deal with non professionals and don't take the necessary precautions and you will get burnt. Even then sometimes dealing with professionals in the States you can get burnt, such is the life of a contractor - it is called the cost of doing business.

The only real difference between the US and the DR is the professional organizations and local municipal authorities aren't as rigorous here and as such references are used to in their place.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
He wants US$250. And, I have already given him US$50 for his broken house 'cause I agreed to pay him for a weeks vacation in stead of him taking a weeks vacation.

Thanks for the clarification. It's Christmas time so if this guy has been good to you give him as much as you think is fair because of good will and you will be repaid.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Thanks for the clarification. It's Christmas time so if this guy has been good to you give him as much as you think is fair because of good will and you will be repaid.

yeah; you will be repaid, all right. let's hope it's not with a stake up your butt!!

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
A man truly after my heart. When we were barracks rats (I know, off topic), in Germany in the '70s, The bulk of our paychecks went to purchase the finest stereo equipment money could buy. We'd spend hours studying freq response, S/N ratio, and distortion specs. Everyone sported the best reel-to-reel, tape deck, turntable, or JBLs we could afford.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
one of the main problems is the language barrier. when your interests require communication, then you need to learn spanish, if you live here.
Definitely preferable, but the % of the higher strata's that don't speak solid English is miniscule.

Fact is those who hang with the whore class only know the whore class. They expose their pure ignorance of Dominican society and culture when opining beyond the whore class.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
A man truly after my heart. When we were barracks rats (I know, off topic), in Germany in the '70s, The bulk of our paychecks went to purchase the finest stereo equipment money could buy. We'd spend hours studying freq response, S/N ratio, and distortion specs. Everyone sported the best reel-to-reel, tape deck, turntable, or JBLs we could afford.

we might be kindred spirits, but if you tell me that you listen to transistor amplifiers the kinship is over.

i know, off topic.

if you ever get to the DR, i invite you to hear my headphone setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.