The Gringo Report Nov. 15 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
There is another case as well. Marrying into a poor family with good values and learn the language and customs and working in the local market. They rarely get taken or are treated like the gringos who live in their own "little world". They are what is considered to be the "good" gringos that love the DR and have become aplatanado so that they have many acquaintances because Dominicans are always curious about foreign things. They can discuss anything local Dominicans do, including the favorite pastime, poltics and bashing politicians.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
It is very difficult to adjust to wanting to like and therefor trust someone, yet know you need to adapt the mentality of like everyone yet trust absolutely no one. It is unnatural.
But like said above in time you adjust and life becomes easier, but yes, social circles shallower. In not being obliged to trust anyone, and everyone feeling the same then it is easier to like everyone, as there is little, if nothing at risk.
In normal social circles you can end up hurt by friends, but under DR social circles you never get hurt, as you don't have anything on the line. The only thing that can hurt you under your new social rules is your own stupidity. And believe me, everyone has blamed stupidity, eventually stupidity gets frozen out, along with your emotions and expectations.:cool:

It will become natural to like and not trust people, not a good thing, but it is about damage limitation and self preservation.

Wow... you've really summed up how I feel about this place. Empty. The need to be able to trust in other people is strong...at least in me. Not being able to trust anyone down here leaves me longing.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Depending on the people, yes you can trust. Just don't take big risks, make it with stuff you can afford to lose just in case.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
let me break a little news to you, cobraboy. if you are an exemplar of the echelon to which you claim to have affixed yourself in this country, then the barrio has got to be a far more rewarding and enjoyable place to be. at least in human terms. you seem to think that you score points by constantly reminding members of the DR1 family of how much more elevated your acquaintances and friends are than the ones they have. you know all the movers and shakers , and the muckity mucks, while they know only the whores and lowlife. you desperately need to get a grip on reality, and to take some measurement of how special you really are in comparison to others here. you once made the remark that you are the most hated person on DR1. you will find very little argument from most people here. it is a status that you struggled might and main to attain, and you can wear the crown with pride, as a testament to your dedication.
Let me "break the news: to you, Mikey: I don't "affix" myself to any group or man beyond close friends & family.

I am perfectly self-contained within them, my home, pets and my various work. Events, not intention, have conspired to put me in close contact with these people, and it is they, not me, who made referrals to their peers.

My point is those like you who live in the barrio with lower class Dominicans like yourself don't understand the "other side" of the culture. A BMW is a thing purchased, not an embedded part of one's character and mores, so I'm not impressed by these alleged people who pull up at your favorite colmado in one; a ghetto drug dealer or pimp can drive a BMW, and it's no reflection of them as a man. But I do understand how some are easily impressed by one.

In fact, you'd be surprised at how modestly many of the upper-middles and uppers live...by intent. But you wouldn't know.

And never will.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Let me "break the news: to you, Mikey: I don't "affix" myself to any group or man beyond close friends & family.

I am perfectly self-contained within them, my home, pets and my various work. Events, not intention, have conspired to put me in close contact with these people, and it is they, not me, who made referrals to their peers.

My point is those like you who live in the barrio with lower class Dominicans like yourself don't understand the "other side" of the culture. A BMW is a thing purchased, not an embedded part of one's character and mores, so I'm not impressed by these alleged people who pull up at your favorite colmado in one; a ghetto drug dealer or pimp can drive a BMW, and it's no reflection of them as a man. But I do understand how some are easily impressed by one.

In fact, you'd be surprised at how modestly many of the upper-middles and uppers live...by intent. But you wouldn't know.

And never will.

first of all, let us just get a few things clear here. i do not live in a barrio, and your opinion and understanding of what class is does not coincide with mine. if you had taken a little time when you were in your formative years to get out from underneath your mother's dress, and take an unimpeded view of the world, then you might have learnt what true class was, or is. what you have turned out to be is a guy who is suffering from such a debilitating case of narcissistic personality disorder, you cannot protect yourself from your fantasies of self importance except by running other people down.

here is the deal; i guarantee you that i come off as exalted a table as you do. my father was a surgeon, and a two time minister of government in his country. his cousin (and by extension mine) was a two time Prime Minister. that Prime Minister's son was also a two time Prime Minister. if class is considered by you to be lineage, i would believe that being the son of a Harvard educated doctor trumps that of a car dealer.

you might have parlayed your beginnings into more financial resources than i have, but life is short, but the art of living is long. you got through all these years without ever learning how to be a human being. you come to a third world country with the sole purpose of making yourself into a big fish in a small pond, since you would have died a nonentity in your own land. you come to a website trying to convince doubters that you are a highly educated man who will debate me, anytime, anywhere, for big money, yet when you are cornered, you put your tail between your legs, and run away. it never fails. then you wait until the heat is off to issue some low brow blindside, like the eternal man child you are.

you expressed to the board that you had passed through a recent bout of medical events, and i wished you a speedy recovery. instead of seeing that as an opening to diffuse hostilities, you could not pass up the opportunity to keep the feud going, because you are a child at heart, and you are petulant, vengeful, vindictive, spiteful, and, in general, mean spirited and insufferable. it is a pity that you never bothered to make the journey to maturity. you would have really discovered that joining the fraternity of manhood was not as painful as you thought it might be.

there is a silver lining behind the cloud that you cast over humanity. you will leave this earth without any offspring to remind posterity of what a foul, disingenuous, miserable excuse for the absence of a human being you are.

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I live in a Barrio and LOVE it!!! Mwahahahahaa

I'll take the average class of people any day, way more down to earth and much more fun!!

to cobraboy, if you do not live in a house with a swimming pool, you live in a barrio. the man is so shallow and trite, it boggles the mind.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
to cobraboy, if you do not live in a house with a swimming pool, you live in a barrio. the man is so shallow and trite, it boggles the mind.
No.

If you live in a barrio, you live in a barrio.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I live in a barrio even though my wife says it's outside of the barrio and is in the city center. CB doesn't live in a barrio.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Class warfare

I thought Paris Hilton was as American as the guy who ask me 25 cents this morning.
Isn't the same for Dominican ?

Status
Not open for further replies.