The Gringo Report Nov. 15 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Definitely preferable, but the % of the higher strata's that don't speak solid English is miniscule.

Fact is those who hang with the whore class only know the whore class. They expose their pure ignorance of Dominican society and culture when opining beyond the whore class.

i posted this before, but i hang out at a spot where the women arrive in their Bimmers, and sport real Gucci bags. they do not need gringo to spot them 500 pesos for the salon. they would not give me the time of day, either, but they respect me because the men they associate with pick my brains, while i pick theirs. i can't be all bad if they will associate with me. strictly business, with no delusions that they would want me for anything. Belkis would associate with me, because every chica you will ever meet has one thing in common; THEY ARE IN DEBT. they all owe the colmado, the salon, the Haitian woman who peddles clothes, and a few miscellaneous relatives. you are only debt relief, since Joaquin never worked a day in his life, and cannot liquidate their obligations to the loanshark.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
we might be kindred spirits, but if you tell me that you listen to transistor amplifiers the kinship is over.

i know, off topic.

if you ever get to the DR, i invite you to hear my headphone setup.

I know next tonothing about stereo equipment but have been sold systems beyond my skills

I used to watch the little needles flicker as the song played

I had heard wehat a perfectionist Streisand is....

If you watch those little needles on one of her albums, it barely quivers off the center mark....
perfectly recorded.....

if I understand the needles right !!!??

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I know next tonothing about stereo equipment but have been sold systems beyond my skills

I used to watch the little needles flicker as the song played

I had heard wehat a perfectionist Streisand is....

If you watch those little needles on one of her albums, it barely quivers off the center mark....
perfectly recorded.....

if I understand the needles right !!!??

it all depends on what the needles are describing. amplifiers have to put out varying amounts of current depending on what segment of the frequency spectrum they are trying to reproduce. if the amperes needle does not move, then maybe your amp does not have enough juice to swing more current, so the needle stays still.

islandhopping

Nov 11, 2014
I deal all the time with hundreds of top-shelf, highly educated women with high moral values and strong family structures who are in the professional class. I interface with them daily.

The perception "thing" is the problem of gringos who come to the DR and hang with whores & tigueres in the low-rent tourist area barrios. They are clueless when it comes to dealing with other social and economic strata of the country.

I don't understand why people who didn't hang with lowlife ghetto scum in their old country hang with that element here.

All relationships are an exchange of some sort. If all you offer is a tad more cheese than the lowlifes, that will be the nature of the relationship. To enter the upper strata of Dominican social or economic strata---where the vast majority of the quality educated, high-moral & family oriented women (and men) exist---one has to offer them something beyond a pensioners marginal disposable income, because the petty cash in their wallet exceeds that; most can buy and sell 90+% the average gringos coming to the DR.

In the DR, your reputation is largely based on who your family is, who you know, the neighborhood where you live and who you hang out with. ROUTINELY, the first 10-15 minutes of a first business meeting is a social chat to find common friends and relatives on the extended family tree. If you pass that the meeting takes a positive tone; fail that and it will be short and doomed.

And, yes, shallow as it currently exists in the uber-PC US & Europe, appearance does, indeed, matter. In a HUGE way.

It is what it is.

That is solid reasoning. On my first visit to DR, I did not notice any listings showing trade conventions, community activities, business networking, etc. True i could not read the local paper in Spanish. Maybe I should have push my guide a little harder for suggestions. At that time, everything I accessed online was tourist related.

For my next visit, I am already able to translate 40% of the Spanish I read. Me gusta. :)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
That is solid reasoning. On my first visit to DR, I did not notice any listings showing trade conventions, community activities, business networking, etc. True i could not read the local paper in Spanish. Maybe I should have push my guide a little harder for suggestions. At that time, everything I accessed online was tourist related.

For my next visit, I am already able to translate 40% of the Spanish I read. Me gusta. :)

now watch your flexibility increase!

islandhopping

Nov 11, 2014
Definitely preferable, but the % of the higher strata's that don't speak solid English is miniscule.

Fact is those who hang with the whore class only know the whore class. They expose their pure ignorance of Dominican society and culture when opining beyond the whore class.

Hum, that would be same as visiting Las Vegas and Salt Lake city to learn culture in the states. Hookers are legal, advertise with their flyers and cards on news stand, you can pay with credit cards. Or you can marry more than once and restrict a child's education to 100 years in the past. I see the similarities.

I guess the difference is Vegas and Salt Lake is a tiny fraction, less than 2% of the USA. Excuse my ignorance, The DR consistently moral and well off population is?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
i posted this before, but i hang out at a spot where the women arrive in their Bimmers, and sport real Gucci bags. they do not need gringo to spot them 500 pesos for the salon. they would not give me the time of day, either, but they respect me because the men they associate with pick my brains, while i pick theirs. i can't be all bad if they will associate with me. strictly business, with no delusions that they would want me for anything. Belkis would associate with me, because every chica you will ever meet has one thing in common; THEY ARE IN DEBT. they all owe the colmado, the salon, the Haitian woman who peddles clothes, and a few miscellaneous relatives. you are only debt relief, since Joaquin never worked a day in his life, and cannot liquidate their obligations to the loanshark.
Some of don't have to "hang out" to make lasting permanent acquaintances of the non-whore class.

Some of us develop relationships without the "picking of brains."

Besides, I don't understand the "debt" rant.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Hum, that would be same as visiting Las Vegas and Salt Lake city to learn culture in the states. Hookers are legal, advertise with their flyers and cards on news stand, you can pay with credit cards. Or you can marry more than once and restrict a child's education to 100 years in the past. I see the similarities.

I guess the difference is Vegas and Salt Lake is a tiny fraction, less than 2% of the USA. Excuse my ignorance, The DR consistently moral and well off population is?
My posts are not location specific.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
After living & working here for the last 20 years, VERY LITTLE actually bothers me, ANYMORE!!!!!
If you expect nothing, you won't be disappointed!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
that's a healthy outlook

every time I see that you have posted, I embrace that attitude.....

and have never been disappointed yet..........

hahahaha

I still love you Stinky Cologne........... besos...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Some of don't have to "hang out" to make lasting permanent acquaintances of the non-whore class.

Some of us develop relationships without the "picking of brains."

Besides, I don't understand the "debt" rant.

maybe some of us are not as lofty and exalted as you are, so we have to find our inferior ways to associate with people. i use the term hanging out in its colloquial dimension, which means i meet up with them at agreed upon times, and we bring our latest music and sit in a group, and listen to music. the conversation is neutral, because as a foreigner i think it would be inappropriate to discuss matters such as politics.

as far as picking of brains is concerned, some of us know things that others are not well versed in, so we exchange information. you would not understand it, since you already know everything.

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
I deal all the time with hundreds of top-shelf, highly educated women with high moral values and strong family structures who are in the professional class. I interface with them daily.

Congratulations on your acceptance into the upper echelon of Dominican society.....Conversely, most gringos head to the DR to escape that shallow self absorbed type of stuff, but to each his own.......

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Let's be honest and face facts here. We have several types here on DR1.

1. The gringos/gringas of DR1 who are single .
2. The gringos/gringas married to another gringo/gringa.
3. The gringos/gringas married to Dominicans.

In general terms, these three groups of gringos are going to experience very different Dominicans, in most cases.

#1 will find it difficult - in most cases - to meet, interface and date middle/upper-middle Dominicans.
#2 have each other, and -in most cases- their interface with Dominicans will be tradespeople, workers, maids, etc.
#3 has to be broken into two groups.
a. the foreigner married into a poorer Dominican family.
b. the foreigner married into a middle/upper middle class Dominican family.

a & b will have very different experiences living in DR. Almost light years apart.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Congratulations on your acceptance into the upper echelon of Dominican society.....Conversely, most gringos head to the DR to escape that shallow self absorbed type of stuff, but to each his own.......
Shallow?

Self absorbed?

Seriously?

In that case, enjoy the barrio.

There has been neither concerted effort or intent. I have businesses and projects that put me in that group of people as many on DR1 can attest.

My point is that, to amplify what AE stated, MOST---the vast 90% majority on DR1 are clueless when it comes to the top 20% of Dominican society or culture. Fact is most here didn't run in those circles where they came from and most likely didn't understand them there; there is no reason why they should understand them in the DR.

Last edited:

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
If I may, AE. I would break up #3 into 3 groups.
A. Married into poorer dr families.
B. Married into upper/middle class.
C. Married into poor family, but with spouse ( dominicano/a ) who left decades ago for abroad. ie left poor then came back into middle/upper class. The experience is sort of a mix of both above.

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
Shallow?

Self absorbed?

Seriously?

There has been neither concerted effort or intent. I have businesses and projects that put me in that group of people as many on DR1 can attest.

My point is that, to amplify what AE stated, MOST---the vast 90% majority on DR1 are clueless when it comes to the top 20% of Dominican society or culture. Fact is most here didn't run in those circles where they came from and most likely didn't understand them there; there is no reason why they should understand them in the DR.

The sad part is you really think this matters in life....pity

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Shallow?

Self absorbed?

Seriously?

let me break a little news to you, cobraboy. if you are an exemplar of the echelon to which you claim to have affixed yourself in this country, then the barrio has got to be a far more rewarding and enjoyable place to be. at least in human terms. you seem to think that you score points by constantly reminding members of the DR1 family of how much more elevated your acquaintances and friends are than the ones they have. you know all the movers and shakers , and the muckity mucks, while they know only the whores and lowlife. you desperately need to get a grip on reality, and to take some measurement of how special you really are in comparison to others here. you once made the remark that you are the most hated person on DR1. you will find very little argument from most people here. it is a status that you struggled might and main to attain, and you can wear the crown with pride, as a testament to your dedication.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Let's be honest and face facts here. We have several types here on DR1.

1. The gringos/gringas of DR1 who are single .
2. The gringos/gringas married to another gringo/gringa.
3. The gringos/gringas married to Dominicans.

In general terms, these three groups of gringos are going to experience very different Dominicans, in most cases.

#1 will find it difficult - in most cases - to meet, interface and date middle/upper-middle Dominicans.
#2 have each other, and -in most cases- their interface with Dominicans will be tradespeople, workers, maids, etc.
#3 has to be broken into two groups.
a. the foreigner married into a poorer Dominican family.
b. the foreigner married into a middle/upper middle class Dominican family.

a & b will have very different experiences living in DR. Almost light years apart.

AE, there is another group to add to the list:

4. Dominican Americans. Born in the states to Dominican parents, first, maybe second generation American. I wont use gringo in that description because we sure as heck don't look like one. In actuality most people cant figure out where I'm from. I usually get asked if I'm Puerto Rican because I'm 6ft tall, light skinned and green eyes with perfect spanish...go figure.

We have a MUCH easier time interfacing with locals. I know people from all different socio-economic levels, but then again I'm a very friendly person. Being a native spanish speaker makes an enormous difference, but since they know I'm not native and live in the states the same gringo rules apply to me(us) also.

But don't get it twisted...a lot of the same things you guys complain about drive me crazy also. I guess that stems from being more adapted to American culture.

This thread is a trip. The reality is if you are that nice/nieve, it doesn't matter where you live, you will eventually lose the shirt off your back if you don't learn to change and toughen up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.