The town of Sosua is killing itself.....

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Snack Bars

I just noticed a second one on the main strip. They are charging about $7 for a sandwich, fries and drink, just like the restaurants were doing before. I guess in 6 months there will be alot of snack bars and very few restaurants. Too Bad!

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Why??

Jimmydr said:
I just noticed a second one on the main strip. They are charging about $7 for a sandwich, fries and drink, just like the restaurants were doing before. I guess in 6 months there will be alot of snack bars and very few restaurants. Too Bad!
Why "too bad" jimmydr?.

Don't you think that someone have to send a message to all those businesses that thought that Sosua was Beverly Hills?.

To me, since nothing makes me "raise my eyebrows", Sosua is nothing special except that it's a tourist destination. EVERYTHING is overpriced.

There are many that just want to "put something" in their stomachs, whether they have money or not, and those Snack Bars would be more than welcome.

Let me quote that famous and billionaire person, Mr Forbes:

"I love to eat when I am very, very hungry for the simple reason that when I am very, very hungry, a potato with butter tastes, to me, the same as a filet mignon. The stomach doesn't know the difference but the wallet does".

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
miguel said:
Why "too bad" jimmydr?.

Don't you think that someone have to send a message to all those businesses that thought that Sosua was Beverly Hills?.

To me, since nothing makes me "raise my eyebrows", Sosua is nothing special except that it's a tourist destination. EVERYTHING is overpriced.

There are many that just want to "put something" in their stomachs, whether they have money or not, and those Snack Bars would be more than welcome.

Let me quote that famous and billionaire person, Mr Forbes:

"I love to eat when I am very, very hungry for the simple reason that when I am very, very hungry, a potato with butter tastes, to me, the same as a filet mignon. The stomach doesn't know the difference but the wallet does".

I like restaurants and 2 years ago it was $10. Now its $25 or more. They are losing more than they think.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Si!

Jimmydr said:
I like restaurants and 2 years ago it was $10. Now its $25 or more. They are losing more than they think.
Again, as i said, someone needs to tell them that what they are doing is wrong.

See, now the have a choice, they either go back to the way they were or lose their businesses to Snack Bars. If they are good businesspeople, trust me, you will see the differnce soon. Either that or eating at a Snack Bar will be the "in thing" from now on.

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
HIRAM, Why Can't I Be "Normal"

Can a guy make a trip down there to get away from another brutal Chicago winter?

Can he try to get some relief from the damp cold that makes the four screws and two rods in his back cause serious pain?

Can he go there to see friends?

Can he sit outside at a cafe or bar just for the pleasure of doing it because he can't do that anywhere around Chicago from November until June?

Can he enjoy some Barcelo or an ice cold Presidente sitting there without being called a drunk?

Can he enjoy his home there, just grooving on the beautiful grounds from his patio?

Can he look at a gorgeous woman that isn't a puta?

Your Sosua isn't the same town as mine. Its all about who you hang with and where you go.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
KenoshaChris said:
Can a guy make a trip down there to get away from another brutal Chicago winter?

Can he try to get some relief from the damp cold that makes the four screws and two rods in his back cause serious pain?

Can he sit outside at a cafe or bar just for the pleasure of doing it because he can't do that anywhere around Chicago from November until June?

Can he enjoy some Barcelo or an ice cold Presidente sitting there without being called a drunk?

Can he enjoy his home there, just grooving on the beautiful grounds from his patio?

Your Sosua isn't the same town as mine. Its all about who you hang with and where you go.

The answer is "YES"

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
KenoshaChris said:

Making sense and stating facts are just Bullshlt abstractions to some of the people that post here. I don't spend money on hookers, live in Sosua and I am not a drunk. Does this mean anything to anyone here? Doubt it.

These people would rather listen to the Rantings of people that do NOT live in Sosua, make judgements about Sosua and the people that live there and base it on NOTHING other than the fact that they are stuck in a hot polluted city in order to make a living.

Escott

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Truth Is Escott ........

I really don't think I've ever seen you have anything other than a water. But again .............. I don't live there. If I'm lucky in the next 18 months there'll be another one of those miscreants living there. Might bring the neighborhood up notch. Now that I think of it, I don't think I've been to the beach in at least a year. Maybe its too far away from my home. I'll just hang by the pool where my place is.

The troubling factor for me is that I haven't been there enough in the last 9 months, but we all have to sacrifice a bit to do what we want to do. Hopefully see you guys over the 4th.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Escott, I am sure that what you say is true of yourself. I'm sure there are many fine people in Sosua. I live in Santiago and I can live anywhere on the island I choose to live. It is just a matter of preference and circumstance that I live here and I am sure it is the same for you. I honestly have not been to Sosua in a long time. What is it like now with the hooker situation? Because when I was there the hookers were everywhere in the evening and some would be out during the day making eyes at you as you walked by. Maybe they were just girls interested in getting to know me, but I doubt it.

But yea sure, people care about Escott...because........drum roll............he is The Master....The King.......Of The Blog. Das What I'm Talkin About.

Escott said:
Making sense and stating facts are just Bullshlt abstractions to some of the people that post here. I don't spend money on hookers, live in Sosua and I am not a drunk. Does this mean anything to anyone here? Doubt it.

These people would rather listen to the Rantings of people that do NOT live in Sosua, make judgements about Sosua and the people that live there and base it on NOTHING other than the fact that they are stuck in a hot polluted city in order to make a living.

Escott

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
Jd...

JDJones said:
Belgium chocolate? Man, did that bring back memories. There used to be a Belgium chocolate shop on the second floor of Plaza Central. Boy, would I like to see that place open again. Great chocolate, and pretty decent prices.
Maybe someone should open a chocolate shop in Sosua. There ain't one now!!

I'm beginning to think there's gold in dem dere chocolates. Nix the chocolate shop... someone can make a killing selling contraband. Has anyone invented refrigerated suitcases yet?

Only problem is: the someone has to be like a professional drug dealer-- a user would eat all the profits.

Does Ingrid like chocolate? Say 'hi' btw! :)

mislarimar

Nov 19, 2004
www.adventuretour.net
JDJones said:
Belgium chocolate? Man, did that bring back memories. There used to be a Belgium chocolate shop on the second floor of Plaza Central. Boy, would I like to see that place open again. Great chocolate, and pretty decent prices.
Maybe someone should open a chocolate shop in Sosua. There ain't one now!!

i am arriving in sosua in about 4 weeks ( to live yoehoeeeeeeeee) and am from belgium!
planner from this board will be getting a box of real belgium chocolate! :lick:

jstnorv05

Jun 13, 2005
miguel said:
Again, as i said, someone needs to tell them that what they are doing is wrong.

See, now the have a choice, they either go back to the way they were or lose their businesses to Snack Bars. If they are good businesspeople, trust me, you will see the differnce soon. Either that or eating at a Snack Bar will be the "in thing" from now on.

I don't think anyone should tell them what they are doing is wrong. They should learn the hard way by going out of business. There are a few places in Sosua where you can get good food at reasonable prices. The first one I will mention is Rocky's because I am sitting here eating my breakfast of ham and eggs with toast and unlimited coffee and not getting charged anything extra for being on the internet and this comes at a price of only 85 pesos. At Brittania bar during the day you can get a good lunch for a little over a 100 pesos. At night the guy who is running the kitchen has pizza for less than 100 pesos and a chicken sandwich with a nice sized chicken breast with fries for 95 pesos. Next door to Brittania is a pasta place with some pretty good past with most menu items for less than 150 pesos. There are still some good deals in Sosua you just have to look a little bit harder now.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Yessssssssssssss

mislarimar said:
i am arriving in sosua in about 4 weeks ( to live yoehoeeeeeeeee) and am from belgium!
planner from this board will be getting a box of real belgium chocolate! :lick:

Oh honey, I can hardly wait..... and for everyone who knows me and loves me - NO I AM NOT SHARING my chocolates....

Well maybe I will, if the price is right.....

ahahahahahahahahaahah

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I have been here in Sosua for 2 days now and the prices are not as outragous as I expected. There are plenty of place to get reasonable meals. I had budgeted $30 dollars/day for my meals and I think $20 would have been enough. If you want to spend money on the other hand, there are plenty of places that are severly overcharging. La Roca had a lobster dinner 'special' the other night for RD 750. IMO, that is outragous when it costs them so little for them to provide it. Anyway, I choose not to eat in those places.

Rockys is still a great deal. 5 of us had dinner here last night and it was under 1000 pesos.

Larry

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Larry,

Go to La Roca and ask for the local?Members Menu?. The prices are between 125 RD and 170 RD approximately. Also, no tax or tip added.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Don't you have to prove you are a local?

Well maybe not in Larry's case :nervous:

swake

Oct 27, 2002
HIRAM said:
Hi all,
I think the time is right to think the about evolution of Sosua.
I am very sad.
Sosua 2005 = Brugal, Presidente, drunken people, prostitutes, low social level tourists.

I have read the following comment about Sosua:

".....The town of Sosua is unappealing. There are too many cars and motorbikes spewing smoke so the air is polluted. My eyes and throat were burning within minutes of arriving there. The streets were teeming with prostitutes and groups of men sitting at outdoor tables, apparently there for the girls. The shopkeepers were agressive and contemptuous in their solicitations, with nary a sign of the sweetness that Dominicanos are famous for. Walking along Sosua beach, lined with endless shops and restaurants the merchandise was overpriced and tacky.
Naaah... was there 3 weeks ago. Same old show. Good ole Sosewer

Extortionate prices were a nag, yes, especially in restaurants.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Yes, Sosua has become a lot more expensive the last year, but I'll guess Cabarete is still much more expensive than Sosua ?

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Larry said:
I have been here in Sosua for 2 days now and the prices are not as outragous as I expected. There are plenty of place to get reasonable meals. I had budgeted $30 dollars/day for my meals and I think $20 would have been enough. If you want to spend money on the other hand, there are plenty of places that are severly overcharging. La Roca had a lobster dinner 'special' the other night for RD 750. IMO, that is outragous when it costs them so little for them to provide it. Anyway, I choose not to eat in those places.

Rockys is still a great deal. 5 of us had dinner here last night and it was under 1000 pesos.

Larry

If they only had a real staff in the kitchen at Rockies. I watched and wonder who trained them to cook, WHO!!!!

Rockies has the best priced breakfast in the entire town of SOSUA!!!