Traffic Deaths in the Dominican Republic Ranks #2 Worldwide

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
There are two major issues when it comes to Dominican drivers:

1. Too many people with no driver's license are behind the wheel. When it comes to motorcyclists, I would not be surprised if over 90% don't have a license.

2. Too many motorcycles on the road.

I remember when the Santo Domingo-Samana highway was inaugurated. The road was built to international safety standards and within the first months many accidents were plaguing the road. Many commentators in the media started to question whether the road was actually built to international safety standards, but it was. The problem is not the road, its the drivers.

I also remember when the then new law requiring all buses to be checked for illegal immigrants and if any bus driver was caught in human trafficking, the authorities were obligated to confiscate the bus. Well, in one of those morning television show, one of the leaders of the bus syndicates appeared there to complaint that the authorities can't blame the bus drivers for giving rides to illegal immigrants. The hostess told him that it shouldn't be too hard for the bus drivers to ask for identification in order to confirm that the foreigners are legally in the country. His response? With a serious face, he said that many of this bus drivers can't read or write. Apparently he didn't understand the implications for saying something like that.

Yes, wild wild west...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There are two major issues when it comes to Dominican drivers:

1. Too many people with no driver's license are behind the wheel. When it comes to motorcyclists, I would not be surprised if over 90% don't have a license.

2. Too many motorcycles on the road.

I remember when the Santo Domingo-Samana highway was inaugurated. The road was built to international safety standards and within the first months many accidents were plaguing the road. Many commentators in the media started to question whether the road was actually built to international safety standards, but it was. The problem is not the road, its the drivers.

I also remember when the then new law requiring all buses to be checked for illegal immigrants and if any bus driver was caught in human trafficking, the authorities were obligated to confiscate the bus. Well, in one of those morning television show, one of the leaders of the bus syndicates appeared there to complaint that the authorities can't blame the bus drivers for giving rides to illegal immigrants. The hostess told him that it shouldn't be too hard for the bus drivers to ask for identification in order to confirm that the foreigners are legally in the country. His response? With a serious face, he said that many of this bus drivers can't read or write. Apparently he didn't understand the implications for saying something like that.

Yes, wild wild west...

Will a driver's license change the mentality of the drivers and really make a difference? I think not, but it would be a small step in the right direction to understanding rule of law.

While it is true that there are too many motorcycles on the road, what is the solution? It is not as if people are suddenly going to be able to afford Jeepetas.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
those who cannot text make calls :) whenever i travel on metro buses i seat in the front, right next to the diver. they use cellphones every single time...

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I actually find it very entertaining driving here. In fact I love it its like a real life video game. I hate driving in town cos of the traffic and cos guys in their rusted old cars force through(buffalo bumpers took care of that), but in the countryside I love driving my hilux. In europe there is so much traffic, and so many rules driving is a contraint. Here empty roads, no rules, I llgo for a drive just for the thrill of it.
Just like this but in a real life?
[video=youtube;j6FLKgyTgQM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6FLKgyTgQM[/video]
I can see it now... Grand Theft Auto VIIII - Paradise Island.

NY2DR

Nov 21, 2009
Driving slow causes more accidents, what ever you are doing and where it is always better to try to keep with or run faster than the majority flow of traffic. The amount of times ill overtake only to almost run into the arse of someone dawdling along in Driving miss daisy mode is staggering, but usually because their vehicle can't reach flow speed, not because do not wish to.

For myself here in DR driving slow is about 50-55 mph as oppossed to the States I'm at 60-75mph. I could be doing 90mph out here and still find someone that could blow pass me in the opposite driving lane so I'll stick to what's kept me accident free

drbcabarete

Oct 21, 2005
There are three main issues here which contribute to the statistics which are essentially correct. First, the drivers are Dominican and for the most part they do not have respect for themselves as people or for others. So why bother with how one drives or acts toward other people. Second, they have little experience in driving. They did not learn from their parents as their parents did not drive. This is a Country of first generation drivers. So, the responsibilties coming from a parent talking to you are not inherent in their driving skills. Third; the equipment is usually not in the best of regard. So, things do not work well; lights, brakes, steering etc. The roads are not good, too many pot holes and poorly constructed streets whether they be the highways or the byways. The number of motos, of course contributes as do the number of poorly trained drivers with no licenses, no insurance, no registrations, for the most part, they do not exist so why bother thinking or caring with others on the road. It is a nightmare. I have driven all over the world, this is the worst of it all. Primarily it is the respect issue and the non considerations of the people for others. But we are here and hopefully we can impart some new feelings amongst the newer drivers in the years to come.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
those who cannot text make calls :) whenever i travel on metro buses i seat in the front, right next to the diver. they use cellphones every single time...
Talking the phone while driving is stupid and dangerous, but not as dangerous as texting.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Mandatory drivers license, insurance and vehicle inspections. What are wrong with ANY of these?

A drivers license provides some minimal proof that you have some clue as to how to operate a motor vehicle in a safe manner. A vehicle can (and does) kill more people here than anything else so why not license at least as well as they do firearms?

Insurance assures everyone on the road that someone has underwritten your skills (guarantees them) sufficient to cover financial damages should you incur them. (put your hands down, I have this) But in the DR there also needs to be some corollary changes to prevent silly lawsuits resulting from practically nothing.

Vehicle inspections should be mandatory so we are all assured the vehicle itself is largely safe. I don't mean inspections as they have in the U.S. as that would be too much. But at least can we have headlights, tail lights and the odd turn signal? Mufflers, decent suspension and uncracked windshields would be a bit much at this point.

The government could generate more income through fees and taxes, inspectors and officials could generate more income through bribes and kickbacks and we all might be...just might be...a tad bit safer.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
With all due respect the report is based not on the DR's death records but based on other factors such as population, drinking attitudes and number of motorcycles.

Also, from a much more dependable source, my sister in law who works at the public hospital, by far the majority of traffic deaths are motorcycle related, mostly due to drink and driving.

Another observation is a personal one, I lived in Orlando for 5 years and it seemed we averaged a few deaths a week in traffic accidents while here they only show up in the news a couple of times a month.

In other words, don't drink and drive a motorcycle and you statistically will have nothing to worry about.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
With all due respect the report is based not on the DR's death records but based on other factors such as population, drinking attitudes and number of motorcycles.

Also, from a much more dependable source, my sister in law who works at the public hospital, by far the majority of traffic deaths are motorcycle related, mostly due to drink and driving.

the report is based on the number of traffic related deaths per 100.000 people. no other factors involved in numbers.
and your sister in law being a more dependable source that WHO? you are truly outdoing yourself, man.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
the report is based on the number of traffic related deaths per 100.000 people. no other factors involved in numbers.
and your sister in law being a more dependable source that WHO? you are truly outdoing yourself, man.

Group 4: Countries without eligible death registration data

For 78 countries that did not fall into Groups 1, 2 or 3, a regression model was used to estimate total road traffic deaths. As in the first report, a negative binomial regression model was used ? appropriate for modelling non-negative integer count data (number of road traffic deaths) (7, 8). A likelihood ratio test was used to assess that the negative binomial model provided a better fit to the data than a Poisson model (where the variance of the data is constrained to equal the mean).

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
stop calling me deary. we ain't friends and never will be.

ok sweety, to put it in plain English the reported traffic deaths are an estimate not based on death records from the DR but from a fancy pansty binomial regression formula.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
so WHO is lying? because clearly, your sister in law would never do that, like the rest of dominicans. gee, why do i waste my breath on you?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
so WHO is lying? because clearly, your sister in law would never do that, like the rest of dominicans. gee, why do i waste my breath on you?

Who is talking about lying????

The WHO report as quoted states the the DR's traffic fatality rate's is not based on death records! What is so difficult to understand????

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Symantics or what! The facts however you interpret them has the DR as a dangerous plce to be on the roads. Young Aholes driving too fast, with out consideration for anyone else cause most of the accidents, usually on motorcycles or scooters. I swear if I had a dollars for every guy that goes by the school doing a wheely or going at an excessive speed I'd be rich. Stop signs, totally ignored.