Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Rec'd from British Embassy:

UK In Dominican Republic <uk.indominicanrepublic@fcdo.gov.uk>
To:Meems XXX

Fri, Feb 18 at 3:28 PM

Dear Ms XXX,

Thank you for your email. In error, I issued the standard response. Please accept my apology.

British Embassy Santo Domingo cannot comment on criminal investigations. This is now a matter for the Dominican Republic's courts. The FCDO are providing support to Lindsay's family.

Kind regards,

Jacqueline

British Embassy Santo Domingo.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Rec'd from British Embassy:

UK In Dominican Republic <uk.indominicanrepublic@fcdo.gov.uk>
To:Meems XXX

Fri, Feb 18 at 3:28 PM

Dear Ms XXX,

Thank you for your email. In error, I issued the standard response. Please accept my apology.

British Embassy Santo Domingo cannot comment on criminal investigations. This is now a matter for the Dominican Republic's courts. The FCDO are providing support to Lindsay's family.

Kind regards,

Jacqueline

British Embassy Santo Domingo.

Yes, I guess this is a thing, foreign governments will never get involved in the legal process of another country. Have you emailed the Dominican ambassador in London?

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
Did you make it to the trial last week? I was told there was a well dressed couple from Cabarete, I wondered if it was you.
I ended up in ER that morning - not related to the trial. I had all the intentions of going though.

Howeller63

Jun 17, 2017
That is the legal system in DR. All trials are decided by a Judge, there are no juries. A lot of the time they consider the evidence in writing before the trial takes place and the trial is pretty much decided as they walk in the door. And there are a lot of accusations of unfairness.

Nicole Reyes (now there's a blast from the past for some of the older DR1'ers) is a British woman who was found guilty of murdering her husband Jorge in a trial in Puerto Plata in 2014. The murder trial lasted just 2.5 hours, she wasn't allowed to give evidence (at her own trial!) and then was convicted. But subsequently they gave her bail (after finding her guilty of murder remember), and "accidently" forgot to stamp her passport to stop her leaving the country, so she went to the airport and went back to the UK. That's how Dominican justice works.

That's for sure I've personally seen the system workings and Lindsay was a blessing helping what she could. Sad as no one thinks it will happen to them. Scary situations can arise if you close your eyes.

Howeller63

Jun 17, 2017
That is the legal system in DR. All trials are decided by a Judge, there are no juries. A lot of the time they consider the evidence in writing before the trial takes place and the trial is pretty much decided as they walk in the door. And there are a lot of accusations of unfairness.

Nicole Reyes (now there's a blast from the past for some of the older DR1'ers) is a British woman who was found guilty of murdering her husband Jorge in a trial in Puerto Plata in 2014. The murder trial lasted just 2.5 hours, she wasn't allowed to give evidence (at her own trial!) and then was convicted. But subsequently they gave her bail (after finding her guilty of murder remember), and "accidently" forgot to stamp her passport to stop her leaving the country, so she went to the airport and went back to the UK. That's how Dominican justice works.

Maria have you heard anything on if Bail was accepted/released?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yes, I guess this is a thing, foreign governments will never get involved in the legal process of another country. Have you emailed the Dominican ambassador in London?
Why would that make any difference? The UK government has already stated its position. Sadly, they will not take part in this at all.
I know my native country would also not take part in such proceedings, this is up to the DR courts and their methods. Other governments
will not get involved.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Why would that make any difference? The UK government has already stated its position. Sadly, they will not take part in this at all.
I know my native country would also not take part in such proceedings, this is up to the DR courts and their methods. Other governments
will not get involved.
As an American (not UK) I can tell you our Embassies abroad are a complete joke. I wouldn't bother with it. Results always come when good local people get involved with boots on the ground.

Reactions: banzai

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
will not get involved.
Another poster suggested that people email the Dominican ambassador in London to request that the trial be livestreamed to permit her friends and family to see proceedings. I personally think this is a good idea. Ambassadors do have links to important people and all we want to do is to make the powers that be understand that this needs to be a fair trial where justice is correctly served.

Status
Not open for further replies.