SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Hot off the truck - Fresh Eggs

Get'em while they're HOT and fresh!
vctkau.jpg

:confused: The question is:
If they don't sell all of them,
.... do they put the new ones on top of the unsold ones or do they rotate the stock?

OR

Is it Fresh Eggs in the morning,
... Cooked Eggs in the afternoon?

t9d26v.gif

SantiagoDR

Last edited:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I imagine you have better things to do but could you get a photo from behind these beasts?

From lesbian hens to goats' posteriors in less than 10 pages...next time someone asks what expats do in the DR, point them to this thread :cheeky:.

The other difference is number of chromosomes: sheep have 54, goats have 60. There's a cute animation here which explains:
Reproduction in the goat

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I examined the animals bottoms....didnt take photos as you can be arrested for that sort of thing.
The animals have fairly long tails pointing down, so I am guessing more sheep than goat.....I think in the uk they dock sheeps tails

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
there are now 10 eggs is there a limit to how many it will lay in one nest....the silly bugger is still sitting on them trying to hatch them.

If a hen lays eggs which are not fertile at what point does it give up on them and is it the only bird that lays an egg without requiring the "hows your father"

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
there are now 10 eggs is there a limit to how many it will lay in one nest....the silly bugger is still sitting on them trying to hatch them.

If a hen lays eggs which are not fertile at what point does it give up on them and is it the only bird that lays an egg without requiring the "hows your father"

Interesting question.

I googled around and so far found this:

[URL="http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_long_do_hens_set_on_their_eggs_before_hatching" said:
WikiAnswer[/URL]]

Time the Hens Set

It only takes 21 days for fertile eggs, properly incubated by a hen or in an incubator, to hatch.
Note that this number begins not when the first egg in the clutch is laid, but when the hen stops laying and begins the setting process.

So if you wait a few days after three weeks of setting and still no hatching has occurred, it would be best to either break her up from nesting by pulling the eggs or, reset her by carefully and slowly pulling out old eggs and replacing with fresh fertile eggs. *Or, if she has infertile eggs get her some chicks from your local farm store. Replace the eggs with the chicks after dark in the evening.

Note: Be sure to candle the eggs she is sitting on to be sure they are infertile or dead first, as incubation may have begun later than you realize. Some hens may push the eggs out the nest if they are bad or infertile.

The hen will continue to stay on the nest for weeks after the hatch. She will slowly take the chicks for "exploration" walks but always return to the safety of the nest with the chicks hiding under her.

[URL="http://www.blurtit.com/q1203693.html" said:
blurtit[/URL]]

Will A Chicken Sit On Infertile Eggs?

<script type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8"> if(!numads) var numads = 0; if(typeof adsense_ads_bf == 'undefined') adsense_ads_bf = []; adsense_ads_bf['ad01'] = new adsenseObject(1,false,false); &nbs</script>Yes a hen will sit on infertile eggs. If she decides to go "broody", she doesn't care if the eggs are fertile or infertile! I had one go broody and I already had several hens that had hatched out a bunch of chicks and I didn't want anymore chicks. It took me over a week of taking her off the nest, banning her from the chicken coop during the day, before she finally stopped trying to sit on an empty nest.

The articles would seem to suggest, that a hen would lay a number of eggs in a nest (called a "clutch") and then stop laying and breed them. Apparently there maybe some which would be infertile... maybe all.

I however can't seem to find anything which would tell us, how long the dern bird will sit on slowly rotting infertile eggs.

... J-D.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Maybe she will hatch indefenetely...poor hen :(
JR, please put her out of her misery and buy here a nice rooster compagnion so she might hatch you some little chicks if as you say you do not want to eat the eggs anyway.
I'd love to have some chickens of my own some day and having some fresh eggs every day...

I personally never put my bought eggs in the fridge, buy them unrefrigerated and they stay on the kitchen counter in a corner where no sunlight can reach them and there is a nice airflow around them from the nearby kitchen window so they do not get suffocated, never have problems with them and I alway's do (did that in Europe also even with refrigerated eggs) the water check before using them.
I do not buy more then 12 at a time so no way an egg will last here more then max 2 weeks.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
If they hatch you can have pick of the litter, shes a scraggy old bird but the chicks might be prettier

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
sell the eggs to the local chinese restaurant as a delicacy (but give us the name of the restaurant... so we can avoid it... lol)

make the hen into a delicious scrag-au-vin.....

as far as the other animals go... sheepo picante????

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
this thread has been quiet for awhile now. that is a good thing!
the les bian said, the better