Warning PCR test will be required to enter Canada with in 3 days of arrival

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Like I said from the beginning. Some people got lucky with an AG-PCR test.

Still not the way I read the requirements. They specifically state a PCR or RT-LAMP test is acceptable. The RT-LAMP test is the newest version of the RT-PCR test, much easier to administer and quicker results. No where does it say the AG-PCR test is unacceptable. The only requirement is that it be done within 72 hours before you board your flight.

The confusion exists because this new requirement has been rapidly downloaded on the airlines and they are arbitrarily deciding what’s acceptable to board their flights. Hopefully this confusion is clarified by the time I head down late February or early March.

Reactions: thompstr

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Can anyone who has factual
Information on this forum clear up the confusion?
This is the problem, getting factual information on what is happening at airport checkin and at immigration back in Canada. If you go to the clinics listed as approved and if you get the right test supposedly everything will go smoothly. However, there is no guarantee that these labs can get you the results in time or provide them in an acceptable format (paper copy of results). It's not even clear if just anyone can walk in off the street at these labs in Puerto Plata and get a test on demand. Expecting travelers who may not speak Spanish well to contact these labs and get instructions is expecting a bit much. I don't know how we are going to be able to clear up the confusion. CMC in Sosua is not one of the listed labs and the AG-PCR test is not one of the approved tests so anything you do that involves CMC at this point in time would seem to set you up for a problem getting on your flight here in the DR or possibly at immigration once you arrive in Canada. Anyone carted off to quarantine for having an improper test is not going to be logging onto DR1 to tell their story anytime soon.

Reactions: Ecoman1949

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
This is the problem, getting factual information on what is happening at airport checkin and at immigration back in Canada. If you go to the clinics listed as approved and if you get the right test supposedly everything will go smoothly. However, there is no guarantee that these labs can get you the results in time or provide them in an acceptable format (paper copy of results). It's not even clear if just anyone can walk in off the street at these labs in Puerto Plata and get a test on demand. Expecting travelers who may not speak Spanish well to contact these labs and get instructions is expecting a bit much. I don't know how we are going to be able to clear up the confusion. CMC in Sosua is not one of the listed labs and the AG-PCR test is not one of the approved tests so anything you do that involves CMC at this point in time would seem to set you up for a problem getting on your flight here in the DR or possibly at immigration once you arrive in Canada. Anyone carted off to quarantine for having an improper test is not going to be logging onto DR1 to tell their story anytime soon.
you have to quarantine regardless of test or no test.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Documentation of a negative laboratory test result must be presented to the airline prior to boarding a flight to Canada. The test must be performed using a COVID-19 molecular polymerase chain reaction (or PCR) test and must be taken within 96 hours prior to the traveler’s scheduled departure to Canada.
Copied off the letter sent to me by the Canadian Embassy today.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Documentation of a negative laboratory test result must be presented to the airline prior to boarding a flight to Canada. The test must be performed using a COVID-19 molecular polymerase chain reaction (or PCR) test and must be taken within 96 hours prior to the traveler’s scheduled departure to Canada.
Copied off the letter sent to me by the Canadian Embassy today.
Correct Bob but the testing time frame is changing to 72 hours shortly.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Still not the way I read the requirements. They specifically state a PCR or RT-LAMP test is acceptable. The RT-LAMP test is the newest version of the RT-PCR test, much easier to administer and quicker results. No where does it say the AG-PCR test is unacceptable. The only requirement is that it be done within 72 hours before you board your flight.

The confusion exists because this new requirement has been rapidly downloaded on the airlines and they are arbitrarily deciding what’s acceptable to board their flights. Hopefully this confusion is clarified by the time I head down late February or early March.
If you get an RT-PCR test within the allotted amount of time you will be fine.

Lou2100

Sep 21, 2020
Toronto
I found these two labs listed on airtranst and the Canadian government website .

Puerto Plata:
  • Name: Laboratorio Referencia
    Reservation: To be confirmed
    Results: Approximatively 72 hours after performing the test.
    Cost : To be confirmed
  • Name: Grupo Rescue
    Adress: Centro Médico Bournigal, calle Antera Mota esq. Dr. Zafra
    Reservation: By email
    Results: By email, 72 hours after performing the test
    Cost : $79 USD

Lou2100

Sep 21, 2020
Toronto
I found these two labs listed on airtranst and the Canadian government website .

Puerto Plata:
  • Name: Laboratorio Referencia
    Reservation: To be confirmed
    Results: Approximatively 72 hours after performing the test.
    Cost : To be confirmed
  • Name: Grupo Rescue
    Adress: Centro Médico Bournigal, calle Antera Mota esq. Dr. Zafra
    Reservation: By email
    Results: By email, 72 hours after performing the test
    Cost : $79 USD
Sorry that is from the Scam ( westjet website) ... https://www.westjet.com/assets/wj-web/documents/en/travel-info/testing-facility-information.pdf

This is air transat website: https://www.airtransat.com/en-CA/travel-information/traveller-care-practical-guide#depistage

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
With the US requiring tests there will be even fewer available than there are now for travelers. But at least thus far the US isn't requiring difficult to obtain tests that take a long time to get the results like Canada is doing. Canada needs to change its stance and allow travelers to get tests other than the RT-PCR.

thompstr

Mar 21, 2018
With the US requiring tests there will be even fewer available than there are now for travelers. But at least thus far the US isn't requiring difficult to obtain tests that take a long time to get the results like Canada is doing. Canada needs to change its stance and allow travelers to get tests other than the RT-PCR.
Wonder if we can leave Ontario now
With this new stay at home law Ford introduced
Have trip booked for Jan 25th,might not be able to go

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Wonder if we can leave Ontario now
With this new stay at home law Ford introduced
Have trip booked for Jan 25th,might not be able to go
You should be good to go, barring any more draconian government initiatives like shutting down airports. Free testing is available at Pearson. If it’s available for outgoing international passengers, you should take advantage of it. With that in hand, you should have no problem entering the DR. By the time your ready to head back home, all the confusion about Canadian testing requirements and where to get them in the DR should be straightened out. Have a safe trip amigo.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
You should be good to go, barring any more draconian government initiatives like shutting down airports. Free testing is available at Pearson. If it’s available for outgoing international passengers, you should take advantage of it. With that in hand, you should have no problem entering the DR. By the time your ready to head back home, all the confusion about Canadian testing requirements and where to get them in the DR should be straightened out. Have a safe trip amigo.
It’s useless incoming only totally stupid of Ford..you need pcr test to come in who wants another at airport purely voluntary, concept was planned ahead of federal announcement so not total stupidity..

Air Transat would have taken both my Bournigal RT-PCR which goes through SD Referencia and my CMC AG PCR TEST. The 2 air transat people said yes to the cmc but at check in did say well the bournigal one is better...(AIR TRANSAT) I didn't ask when got to Canada if they would have accepted the CMC test I wish I did but was just so happy to be in Canada.....

Status
Not open for further replies.