What is it with North Americans (and a few others)

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Now Now Rocky ...... close down the heat vent & allow a bit of cool to draw into the fire. Like Lambada I gave a quick retake of that sentence, realised that it was just a poorly composed one that COULD be taken the wrong way & then moved on.

I must admit I would have prefered NOT to have been brought in to the same circle as Ladybird as she is one of those Lambada mentions who did not want to listen when we met (5 years or so ago) - just tell me what a wonderful, knowledgable person she was. She & I have never got on since that day & YES, you are correct, she has taken a couple of shots at Lambada & I over the years - water off a ducks back & all that. I DID like her husband though & am sorry he returned to England. ~ Grahame.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Now Now Rocky ...... close down the heat vent & allow a bit of cool to draw into the fire. Like Lambada I gave a quick retake of that sentence, realised that it was just a poorly composed one that COULD be taken the wrong way & then moved on.

I must admit I would have prefered NOT to have been brought in to the same circle as Ladybird as she is one of those Lambada mentions who did not want to listen when we met (5 years or so ago) - just tell me what a wonderful, knowledgable person she was. She & I have never got on since that day & YES, you are correct, she has taken a couple of shots at Lambada & I over the years - water off a ducks back & all that. I DID like her husband though & am sorry he returned to England. ~ Grahame.
Fair enough.
Your wish is my command.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
We were meant to be out today for lunch with friends but unfortunately it didn't happen as there were a couple of upset tummies about (not me I hasten to add) but it meant that I ended up spending much more time on the computer and tried to participate in DR1. Sadly, that was obviously a mistake.... I have been attacked by MariaChan (whoever that is), eaten alive by a couple of other posters and even reminded of my son's death (who's birthday would be on Sunday). I love participating in DR1 discusssions, helping people where I can but am sorely tempted to stay away - can anyone persuade me differently? Sorry to go off topic folks but I feel personally offended today.

chiquittabanana

Feb 11, 2004
Please don't change Matilda

It happens in every culture,,,yes is true,, here in Canada we have a thing for Americans being rude, but the same is said about French people and we had a chance last X-mas season to meet wonderful, helpful and polite people from the US and France.

I have been told that English people are snobs,,,, and now I have so many Brits as friends (who are still not admitting to watch Cory or East enders jijijiji) but are not snobs.

Take it with a FULL SPOON of salt, screen the people you talk and make these appointments and make them come over and meet Tyson,,, it can only enhance his "social experiences"!!!!

You are great,,, always willing to help,,,please don't change

CB

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
We were meant to be out today for lunch with friends but unfortunately it didn't happen as there were a couple of upset tummies about (not me I hasten to add) but it meant that I ended up spending much more time on the computer and tried to participate in DR1. Sadly, that was obviously a mistake.... I have been attacked by MariaChan (whoever that is), eaten alive by a couple of other posters and even reminded of my son's death (who's birthday would be on Sunday). I love participating in DR1 discusssions, helping people where I can but am sorely tempted to stay away - can anyone persuade me differently? Sorry to go off topic folks but I feel personally offended today.

I have days too when people upset me here - tell people I have been robbed when I haven't, talk about me as if I don't exist. Listen you make great posts and I for one would be sad if you left and stopped reading. So don't take any notice of them. You are worth more than that - and I have never met you!!! Don't know if that will persuade you - I hope so, and I'll be thinking of you on Sunday as I am sure will many other folk.

Mattie

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
It happens in every culture,,,yes is true,, here in Canada we have a thing for Americans being rude, but the same is said about French people and we had a chance last X-mas season to meet wonderful, helpful and polite people from the US and France.

I have been told that English people are snobs,,,, and now I have so many Brits as friends (who are still not admitting to watch Cory or East enders jijijiji) but are not snobs.

Take it with a FULL SPOON of salt, screen the people you talk and make these appointments and make them come over and meet Tyson,,, it can only enhance his "social experiences"!!!!

You are great,,, always willing to help,,,please don't change

CB

CB, I couldn't agree more...England has it's "jewels" - Manchester's council flats scare me more than Sosua Abajo...Matilda, I admire you, and as mentioned by an earlier poster, being yourself is what sets you apart from the herd....oh yes, and when it comes to germans - have you been in Munich the time after Bayern lost a game ? Have you been to Rome when Lazio plays Roma ? I know that it is not related your post, yet one could not help it...

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I have been attacked by MariaChan (whoever that is),

A sockpuppet ... don't feel singled out because of this .. you should see what I get on a fairly regular basis :laugh:

This thread feels exactly like a family fight. You know, those ones that no-one can win .. but somehow they clear the air.

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
A sockpuppet ... don't feel singled out because of this .. you should see what I get on a fairly regular basis :laugh:

This thread feels exactly like a family fight. You know, those ones that no-one can win .. but somehow they clear the air.

Chris, but you surely can tell who that is from the IP ...I mean, one that has a legitimate IP, if they don't use offending language why judge ? In a sense, she elects to exprime herself in a manner that reminds me of the muched missed AZB

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Chris, but you surely can tell who that is from the IP

Not really. Very few people have fixed IPs. There are some tricks but then one has to really spend the time. Most DR1 sockpuppets are not worth the time. This one is not an AZB sockpuppet lol. AZB knows better.

So, where is AZB?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I have been attacked by MariaChan (whoever that is),

whirley, I emailed you the identity. I don't need to check an IP - I have a nose for this character. Now you know, the most appropriate word is not 'whoever that is' but 'whatever that is'. That's the gratitude you get for your husband repairing his TV & inviting him to your house!! Highly relevant to the theme of this thread, wouldn't you say?

I can't add to what Matilda wrote - I'm posting it again because it's so good & I'd like you to read it again. :)

I have days too when people upset me here - tell people I have been robbed when I haven't, talk about me as if I don't exist. Listen you make great posts and I for one would be sad if you left and stopped reading. So don't take any notice of them. You are worth more than that - and I have never met you!!! Don't know if that will persuade you - I hope so, and I'll be thinking of you on Sunday as I am sure will many other folk. Mattie

Very nicely said Matilda.

Purely out of interest, did anyone who said you'd been robbed when you hadn't apologise? Or admit they'd made a mistake? And to keep this on topic, was it a North American you'd tried to help? Just to keep it relevant to the thread you understand.....:)

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
And to keep this on topic, was it a North American you'd tried to help? :)

Lambada, not to speak out of disrespect, yet a Long Islander or an Marthta Vineyard islander could always be right up there with a Kent or Surrey residend....need do I move on to ? :)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Not really. Very few people have fixed IPs. There are some tricks but then one has to really spend the time. Most DR1 sockpuppets are not worth the time. This one is not an AZB sockpuppet lol. AZB knows better.

So, where is AZB?

I saw AZB at the Ahi Bar last weekend when I went to celebrate my good friends new found single status. Everything was ok according to him, he has just decided to cool it a while so as not to be so controversial and I understand he had some travelling to do as well. Of course we discussed politics etc. and vehemently disagreed, but in the end found something to agree about as always.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Lambada, not to speak out of disrespect, yet a Long Islander or an Marthta Vineyard islander could always be right up there with a Kent or Surrey residend....need do I move on to ? :)

No disrespect taken, korejdk. I'm not knocking North Americans - I simply brought in the title & subject of Matilda's thread as I said in small print
Just to keep it relevant to the thread you understand.....:)

Trust me, you do not want to know some of the things I (& others) could tell you about some of the Brits., Canadians, Germans...............etc living here. There are bad apples in every nationality resident here. And there are shining stars in every nationality too, thank goodness. My lips are sealed (& it'd get deleted anyway :laugh: ).

But...............it's all good material for a novel. Probably to be published posthumously...............:cheeky:

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I apologise for getting on my 'high horse' earlier and would like to thank those that have responded kindly, both on this thread, by PM and email, with their support for my inexcusable hi-jacking of the original topic of this thread to some extent. Guess sometimes I am a little more than gullible still, despite my years, no matter which country I reside in and still have much to learn about how unkind people can be when they are trying to get their "fun". I appreciated your words very much Matilda and have to admit that I enjoy the good people on this forum far too much to "cut myself off".

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
I have to throw my 2 cents in here on this topic as it irks me to no end.

Over the past 2 years I have found here in Canada (Alberta) whenever I set up interviews 95% never show up. I have people who send me their resume, call to see if they can get an interview, I make one for them and then they don't show. I have started phoning them back to see why they didn't show and I have had responses like: I was sleeping, I fogot, I changed my mind, I took another job, oh, can I come later? Tomorrow?
I always tell them that no, they cannot, but can I give them some advice? They always say yes, and I tell them that when looking for a job they need to show up early and if they change their mind for any reason it is always good manners to call. That they need to know these things to get further in life and I wish them luck in the future. Manners have totally gone out the window.

Another pet peeve...don't show up to an interview in jeans or sweatpants.

Is there a reason these things are not taught to them either at home or at school nowadays? My parents would never have let me go to an interview like that.

Don't even get me started on holding the door for someone behind you.....