White couple sue over black (half-Domincan) baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
I think its horrible what the clinic did and they should be liable for it. But I feel bad for the little girl as many of you said how is she gonna feel when she's older and realizes how all this court mess went down?

Its a terrible situation I think they didn't expect this media crazyness and I'm sure they'll regret it, at least I hope they do.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I think they should have sued, they "bought" a service, expected a certain result and in the end they got something they never intended to "pay" for:

Another man's sperms!

With the way things are today, I'm surprised they didn't try to make this into some sort of rape case or something along those lines, claiming that since she was impregnated with another man's sperms without her knowledge or consent, that would be the equivalent of any man raping her and she becoming pregnant. Well, we all know how many twist one story can be given, especially in a case where you don't really have an option of exchanging the "product".

On another note, it's interesting how some DR1ers immediately pick on the Dominican woman. Have anyone noticed that her white gringo husband supports her in this? That means he agrees with her and thus, it's not just a Dominican woman "trying to be white", but rather a gringo husband and his Dominican woman trying to pass for a "white couple".

Then again, the gringo husband probably grew up in the US and has been indoctrinated with the US one drop rule mentality, so it's a little confusing why he would look at his wife as "white" if she is not

Hmm, confusing.

Then again, there is another color that could be motivating all of this and that color is called green.... American dollars green.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

This reminds me of another story (although its not about lawsuits or mixed up sperms or anything of the sort) earlier this year where a couple had twins, one was black and the other white.

Interestingly, even in the US media they called the darker twin black and the lighter twin white, despite the ingrained US notion that if a person has one drop of black blood, that person is black regardless of appearance! Maybe things are changing afterall.

Here is that story, of course in the DR such occurence won't raise and eyebrow, but then again, the rest of the world is NOT the DR so.... :

The world's least alike twins
Dutch twin boys born of the same womb ? one black, one white ? face growing up in a not-so-colorblind world

-NALs

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Omg!!!!

Just another example of the extreme lengths some Dominicans go to trying to convince themselves and others that they are "white". I think both girls look alike and while the elder daugther does 'favour' her fathers' skin colour , the youngest isn't much off the mark of her mothers.
I know a South African couple , living in Canada who were classified as white altho' one of them had skin colour very similar to my Italian Stallion's and a very definite negroid nose. Their first two children were almost as white as I am however the third was definitely a mulatto! She is one of the prettiest girls I know and looks like my rudy Italian when he's spent too many days in the sun on the golf course!!

:surprised MommC...you are sooo right!!! I thought I was the only one that had noticed this fact...but it's true!!! I've had discussions with some Dominicans that have, by the way, beautiful 'cafe con leche' skin...that claim they are white...ashamed of what people would think...It think it would be hilarious if it wasn't sad!!! (Yes, even my own husband!!!:cheeky: who says he's indiecito )

In this particular case, I can't believe this woman...the mother...(mind you, yes...she has a right to be upset, and even to sue the clinic, about having been impregnated with another man's sperm, instead of her husband's)...but to say that the child could be made ridiculed of later on...What the hell is she herself doing right now to the poor kid???? Her own mother!!!!

I don't think they deserve anything...what they deserve is...well, let me not say anymore...I'm getting angrier by the minute with this whole thing...:eek::

MQ

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
I agree that a malpractice claim against the clinic is proper. Of course it will be no slam dunk. The clinic lawyers will contend that there is the possibility the mother was impregnated subsequent to the in vitro by some unknown party. It will be the plaintiff that will have to fight for years to get the DNA evidence of all possible donors from the clinic, if they already haven't gone down the drain. Many of which were probably donated with the guarantee of anonymity along with confidentiality agreements. Hope the mother doesn't have any skeletons in her closet.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
And for the last time....

Let me quote a few things from this article about the OP's story.

I want everyone to ask yourself why are the articles writting what they are writting IF the mother is not..... white? I'm confused at the reaction of some DR1ers vs the way the story is portrayed by all media sources and yet, people pick on the Dominican mother and not the gringo father or the media who obviously support the lawsuit on the basis that they don't question the race of the mother?

"A married couple is suing a fertility clinic after they gave birth to a black baby ? even though neither of them is black."

"It was instantly obvious that she did not look anything like her mother, Nancy, a light-skinned native of the Dominican Republic, or dad, Thomas."

"The tests showed that Nancy Andrews is the mother ? her egg was used, but with the wrong sperm."

"The Andrews fear the natural father may try to come forward and claim rights to the girl, the suit says."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting reaction by the media vs. DR1ers and interesting who's receiving the victimization around here.

-NALs

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Yes they should sue the clinic for the mix-up, however even if the woman had been impregnated with her husbands' sperm she still could have had a baby the same colour as this one.
Anyone who is as old as I and who followed the apartheid events in South Africa knows how "white" one had to be to be classified as such. The couple I mentioned left South Africa because they both knew that there was enough 'coloured' blood in their veins to produce a darker skinned baby and they didn't want that child to suffer growing up because of having a dark complexion.
Here you have a case of parents whose actions will definitely impact the future of their child (who is still the mothers' offspring) and whose child will never believe her parents truly love her no matter what they may say or do in the future. In fact it sounds as if they'd willing give away this 'black' baby in exchange for a little 'green'!

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Yes they should sue the clinic for the mix-up, however even if the woman had been impregnated with her husbands' sperm she still could have had a baby the same colour as this one.
Anyone who is as old as I and who folled the apartheid events in South Africa knows how "white" one had to be to be classified as such. The couple I mentioned left South Africa because they both knew that there was enough 'coloured' blood in their veins to produce a darker skinned baby and they didn't want that child to suffer growing up because of having a dark complexion.
Here you have a case of parents whose actions will definitely impact the future of their child (who is still the mothers' offspring) and whose child will never believe her parents truly love her no matter what they may say or do in the future. In fact it sounds as if they'd willing give away this 'black' baby in exchange for a little 'green'!
They probably could, but they didn't expected such and given that DNA testing has proven that her husband is NOT the biological father of the girl, then its obvious that whatever way that girl was "made" is half dominican and half something else, possibly Afro-American according to the media.

And the lawsuit is based on the mix up of the clinic, NOT on the fact that the baby is darker than the other or looks different, despite the fact that such difference is what caused the couple to question whatever it was that the clinic did with their sperm/eggs and it just so happens that the clinic messed up!

If the reason was purely because the baby looks different and not because the clinic made a mistake, then they probably would be putting the baby up for adoption and that doesn't appear to be the case.

They want reparations for a life-long mistake a clinic made (how could they forget to use the husbands sperm is beyond comprehension) and they should receive compensation for that mistake.

I still hold my stand in asking why are people here blaming the mother and not even thinking of putting some fault on her husband who supports her or on the news who are writting that they are a "white couple"?

I see this as another example of how some foreigners are quick to discredit a Dominican when it comes to racial issues and conveniently ignore the input of a non-Dominican, in this case a white gringo and media from predominantly white countries who are portraying the mother as "white" as well.

Why have no one else raised this issue of the supporting white gringo and media? Why were some DR1ers quick to discredit the mother?

This is the same discrediting of Dominicans mantra that has been perpetrated by mostly non-Dominicans on many levels regarding all things race/color related whenever a Dominican is involve.

I think they love their baby as much as any couple who has a baby who they know is half something else they didn't want, similarly to a baby being born from a rape incident or a baby being born from an incest incident. In this case it was less dramatic, but just as troubling as the fact that you go to a clinic to have your husbands sperm fertilize your eggs to create a baby with genetic peaces of both of you and it turns out that your baby's father is someone other than your husband!

You can love that baby as much as you can, but the mix up is something that will continue to live in the minds.

:tired:

-NALs

Last edited:

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
I want to know why the parents haven't been interviewed personally-- all of the quotes have been taken from the LEGAL PAPERS! Why? Everything is in legal speak.

It's like when you are in a car accident and you suddenly "can't have relations with your wife/husband anymore" that's all legal speak. They always put that in the lawsuit. You know it's nonsense but they always include it. It's standard.

It how our system is set up. This couple doesn't want to go to trial. They want to settle out of court and the papers have to be worded a certain way.. hence all the drama

I can't stand lawyers. They will do ANYTHING to make more money. They are piranhas.

So, I bet that what it is. I want to hear from the parents not from the legal papers.

Is there a story in today's Post? I only have the News.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Have you been to the beach lately???

I believe you but I honestly haven't seen that a whole lot other than they always seem to pick a shade "lighter" when they describe their own color. I don't really think all of this can be attributed to a dislike for dark color - a lot is due to the "dynamic" that causes people to want the opposite of what they have - women w/straight hair want curly etc. Remember too there is a saying here - "El negro pega con to'!"

Just spend a few weekends here in JD. One shade lighter than midnight and those from other than dirt poor families will wear long sleeves and cover up under an umbrella or towel....when asked why, they don't hesitate to tell you they don't want to get 'tanned'!!!!
My response has always been one of surprise ' cause even if they can get tanned it wouldn't make them darker than they already are - however to them if they're not coal black, they're not 'black' but rather a darker shade of 'white'!

Reminds of visitors we had one time. The youngest daughter was at least three shades darker than their maid but the maid was 'la negra'! I don't think she had a name as la negra was what they all called her.......

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I want to know why the parents haven't been interviewed personally-- all of the quotes have been taken from the LEGAL PAPERS! Why? Everything is in legal speak.

It's like when you are in a car accident and you suddenly "can't have relations with your wife/husband anymore" that's all legal speak. They always put that in the lawsuit. You know it's nonsense but they always include it. It's standard.

It how our system is set up. This couple doesn't want to go to trial. They want to settle out of court and the papers have to be worded a certain way.. hence all the drama

I can't stand lawyers. They will do ANYTHING to make more money. They are piranhas.

So, I bet that what it is. I want to hear from the parents not from the legal papers.

Is there a story in today's Post? I only have the News.
I would like to hear from the parents as well.

It's obvious that the media has been quoting from the legal papers, despite many having access to pictures of the family.

Why has the media not picked up on the supporting gringo in all of this?

Why have they not questioned the race of the mother?

Why is the story more about a clinic mix up and not racism?

Why are non-Dominicans quick to discredit a Dominican, whenever they get the chance to do so?

Is it a conscious or unconscious reaction from the part of non-Dominicans to discredit Dominicans on racial issues, while not even questioning a supporting white gringo or the media's portrayal of such?

I think this story brings something else to the table and it has nothing to do with the little girl and everything to do with the way some non-Dominicans react to Dominicans in racial issues.

-NALs:tired:

vickat20

Aug 2, 2005
What are the parents supposed to do? Who wouldn't sue a fertility clinic for inseminating them with the wrong sperm? Are they supposed to just sit back and do nothing?

It seems as though they are being villified for filing suit. The media, not the parents, are calling them a "white couple". I have not read one article in which the mother calls herself white, or speaks to the media directly at all.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
What are the parents supposed to do? Who wouldn't sue a fertility clinic for inseminating them with the wrong sperm? Are they supposed to just sit back and do nothing?

It seems as though they are being villified for filing suit. The media, not the parents, are calling them a "white couple". I have not read one article in which the mother calls herself white, or speaks to the media directly at all.
Personally,

"They" are not being villified, au contrare the Dominican mother is the one being villified, at least on this board. The white gringo and the media has been left untouched in the DR1 discussions, it's the mothers fault because they want to insinuate that she is denying blackness or something along those lines.

It's further proof that most non-Dominicans think Dominicans are racist and they go through anything to prove to themselves of this, even as far as blaming a Dominican woman when plenty of white non-Dominicans are supporting the lawsuit which was claimed by both, the gringo husband and Dominican wife.

I wonder how this anti-Dominican sentiment when it comes to racial issues that many non-Dominicans have affects other issues the DR has been having or even the credibility of Dominicans in general.

I wonder if the woman would had been non-Dominican if people would be as quick to blame her, despite her husband supporting his wife and jointly filing the lawsuit. I have yet to read anywhere that says that the mother is the one suing, apparently its the couple and that includes the white gringo.

But oh no, on this forum its the Dominican whose at fault, the gringo is excempt from all of this. What a sense of bolony!

There is something here that is beyond the scope of the story and this is something troubling for Dominicans to see themselves constantly challenged by non-Dominicans, even when there are non-Dominicans in the issue and they are left without a criticism of any kind!

I would go as far as saying that this is an example of anti-dominicanism, and perhaps the fact that the Dominican is a woman is not helping since women are often unjustifiably blamed, including by other women. What a sad case, a person who is a woman and a Dominican, the perfect combination for anti-dominicanism to really take hold and then people claim that the racist are the Dominicans.

The white gringo is not attacked, the white dominated media is not attacked, but the Dominican woman is attacked on this board, she is discredit to the fullest degree all because people have this inherent belief that all Dominicans are racists.

Well, what about the reaction of non-Dominicans towards this Dominican woman when it's clear that if anyone is at fault of this, it's the clinic and at a different level, if the couple is at fault that includes the white gringo and white dominated media, not just the Dominican mother.

But, oh no, no one think of that because the racists are the Dominicans.... what a load of crap!

-NALs

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Why are non-Dominicans quick to discredit a Dominican, whenever they get the chance to do so?

Is it a conscious or unconscious reaction from the part of non-Dominicans to discredit Dominicans on racial issues, while not even questioning a supporting white gringo or the media's portrayal of such?

I think this story brings something else to the table and it has nothing to do with the little girl and everything to do with the way some non-Dominicans react to Dominicans in racial issues.

-NALs:tired:

It has all to do with the child. I don't believe the reaction is to 'Dominican Racial' issue. I think most everyone is reacting to a mother that seems to be rejecting a child. The reaction is about parenting, not race - and this includes mother and father who are creating a burden for a young child. Who cares about race? - only neanderthals.

I hope they get a wack of money and they use that responsibly to benefit the children.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
This is a real aside-- in the very beginnings of fertility clinics fertility clinics we'ren't that discerning with who the sperm donors were. Now, it's very different. It's a business. You should get what you paid for. Your husband has his sperm on file and you should get your husband's sperm.

Anyway-- years ago a friend of mine worked at a GYN office. They would impregnate women with sperm from donors. The women would fill out questionaires on what they wanted the father to look like. Of course--tall dark/light and handsome-- and naturally brilliant. My friend would promptly march down to the corner newstand and take a sample from one of the workers.

They disregarded anything the women/couple wanted. Is is right??? Was he screened? Who knew anything about him! He could be dumb as a rock.

The couple paid good money for his sperm and they trusted the doctor. They thought that they were getting a match.

The doctor didn't care she made her money. God only knows how many children the newstand owner fathered!! He didn't care he made a couple of bucks. I don't know if the parents cared ultimately. I think it's wrong.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
It has all to do with the child. I don't believe the reaction is to 'Dominican Racial' issue. I think most everyone is reacting to a mother that seems to be rejecting a child. The reaction is about parenting, not race - and this includes mother and father who are creating a burden for a young child. Who cares about race? - only neanderthals.

I hope they get a wack of money and they use that responsibly to benefit the children.
YOUR reaction towards this may not be due to 'Dominican racial issues', but I think that other DR1ers certainly are being influenced by such issues.

And for who cares about race - well the people going around presenting examples of instances when Dominicans may reject exposure to the sun or calling him/herself indio which is the equivalent of mulatto in the DR, etc.

Those are all attempts to justify their racially charged attack against the Dominican mother.

It's obvious.

And people started with worrying about the child, but they only attack the mother saying that she is putting her baby in harms way by presenting this story to the media.

Did her husband had anything to do with that? Maybe her husband is the one rejecting the daughter, afterall the daughter has half of her mother in her DNA and non of the white gringo?

Of course many DR1ers have not thought of those questions, why?

Well, let's just call it anti-dominicanism for the sake of simplicity.

-NALs

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
If you are not from NYC you don't know The Post-- these are the stories that they write. They are very sensational. They want to sell newspapers. They will write ANYTHING. They don't CARE!!!!!

You have to keep them in context. They are the MEDIA!

The parents may have nothing to do with this. Remember they haven't been INTERVIEWED!!!! The whole article is from legal documents.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
NY Post is not known for high standards of journalism

Why did the New YOrk Post titled the story "Black Baby is Born to White Pair?

Are they colorblind, color conscious, or going with the flow?:confused:

-NALs

NALS, it's not that complicated. The Post is notorious for never letting standards of journalism interfere with sensationalism driven circulation. Remember, this is the newspaper that re-defined poor taste and unfit-for-print journalism with the headline "HEADLESS BODY FOUND IN TOPLESS BAR!"

The Post and publications of the same owner around the world actively avoid nuanced reporting. For example, regardless of the circumstances, the Post routinely refers to law enforcement and suspects respectively as "hero cops" and "cowardly thugs."

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
calm down NALs, you are missing the point

Personally,

"They" are not being villified, au contrare the Dominican mother is the one being villified, at least on this board. The white gringo and the media has been left untouched in the DR1 discussions, it's the mothers fault because they want to insinuate that she is denying blackness or something along those lines.

It's further proof that most non-Dominicans think Dominicans are racist and they go through anything to prove to themselves of this, even as far as blaming a Dominican woman when plenty of white non-Dominicans are supporting the lawsuit which was claimed by both, the gringo husband and Dominican wife.

I wonder how this anti-Dominican sentiment when it comes to racial issues that many non-Dominicans have affects other issues the DR has been having or even the credibility of Dominicans in general.

I wonder if the woman would had been non-Dominican if people would be as quick to blame her, despite her husband supporting his wife and jointly filing the lawsuit. I have yet to read anywhere that says that the mother is the one suing, apparently its the couple and that includes the white gringo.

But oh no, on this forum its the Dominican whose at fault, the gringo is excempt from all of this. What a sense of bolony!

There is something here that is beyond the scope of the story and this is something troubling for Dominicans to see themselves constantly challenged by non-Dominicans, even when there are non-Dominicans in the issue and they are left without a criticism of any kind!

I would go as far as saying that this is an example of anti-dominicanism, and perhaps the fact that the Dominican is a woman is not helping since women are often unjustifiably blamed, including by other women. What a sad case, a person who is a woman and a Dominican, the perfect combination for anti-dominicanism to really take hold and then people claim that the racist are the Dominicans.

The white gringo is not attacked, the white dominated media is not attacked, but the Dominican woman is attacked on this board, she is discredit to the fullest degree all because people have this inherent belief that all Dominicans are racists.

Well, what about the reaction of non-Dominicans towards this Dominican woman when it's clear that if anyone is at fault of this, it's the clinic and at a different level, if the couple is at fault that includes the white gringo and white dominated media, not just the Dominican mother.

But, oh no, no one think of that because the racists are the Dominicans.... what a load of crap!

-NALs

The Dominican mother has been criticized here for claiming to be white. I don't probably need to explain why the father has not received similar criticism, or do I?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
NALS, it's not that complicated. The Post is notorious for never letting standards of journalism interfere with sensationalism driven circulation. Remember, this is the newspaper that re-defined poor taste and unfit-for-print journalism with the headline "HEADLESS BODY FOUND IN TOPLESS BAR!"

The Post and publications of the same owner around the world actively avoid nuanced reporting. For example, regardless of the circumstances, the Post routinely refers to law enforcement and suspects respectively as "hero cops" and "cowardly thugs."
What excuse is there for MSN?

-NALs

Status
Not open for further replies.