Why are you in DR? Are you obsolete(d)?

Diametric

Mar 20, 2012
I've only visited twice but am moving down there on 10/1 of this year. I'm 36 tomorrow and at this age I'm ready for a huge change. I cannot handle American culture any longer. I hate having to chase my 401K. I want out. I am under zero illusions that DR won't be difficult, a shock to my system and that I am risking quite a bit of money ot give a go there. It may not work out...I may f* up and come back to the US and have to start over...but I'm going to try.

"Choose leisure wear and matching luggage. Choose a three piece suite on hire purchase in a range of ****ing fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing sprit-crushing ga me shows, stuffing ****ing junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing you last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, ****ed-up brats you have spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future. Choose life."

^^^^F* that!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Explorer.. are you asking what is a good chunk of change for ever or for a year?

For a Dominican a salary of $1500 US is consider a good wage..

That is about adequate for one expat.. no frills. per month. for a single doing a life, comfortable for a family in the campo with no kids in private schools...

$4000 is the high life. and you are rich.

high end budget
if you want to rent a car by the month it will cost you 800

ditto high end aprartmet

if you have 50k for the year, you will be fine.

you can do it fine on 35k prob without so much

I know folks who have lived here on 700 a month but they have scraped by. and picked up odd jobs. but you can do it.

anything less you are a bit at risk at your age... best left fro the 35 year olds.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Diametric", it sounds more like you are running "FROM" something, that TOO something!!!!!!
The DR would not be my first choice of where to run TOO!
You will just exchange one group of perceived problems, for some REAL Problems!
Move to Idaho!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Diametric

Mar 20, 2012
"Diametric", it sounds more like you are running "FROM" something, that TOO something!!!!!!
The DR would not be my first choice of where to run TOO!
You will just exchange one group of perceived problems, for some REAL Problems!
Move to Idaho!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

That's fair. In some ways I am running from something - American consumer culture. But more to the point and more accuratly, I'm running TO my dream of a life less ordinary down in the carribean. I've managed it so that I can live down there a full year without working and if it doesn't work out, I have plenty of money to come back and start over. With no kids, mortgage and debt...now is the time to see if I can pull this crazy dream of mine off.

I dig your sentiment though, thanks.

-Dylan

PS: F* Idaho!

Last edited:

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
On a side note... how do you people support yourselves there, being expats and all? You can't ALL be retirees, can you?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
That's fair. In some ways I am running from something - American consumer culture. But more to the point and more accuratly, I'm running TO my dream of a life less ordinary down in the carribean. I've managed it so that I can live down there a full year without working and if it doesn't work out, I have plenty of money to come back and start over. With no kids, mortgage and debt...now is the time to see if I can pull this crazy dream of mine off.

I dig your sentiment though, thanks.

-Dylan

PS: F* Idaho!
Nice post, but Idaho is an exceptional place...for the USA. If I had to go back and Mom CB wasn't in Tampa, I'd seriously consider the Boise or Coeur d'Alene areas...

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I continue to live here because I am married to a Dominican and at the time it just made sense. My son is in school here and it gives him the opportunity to know his "Dominican roots". Not retired still have a hand in the family business back in the US and have rental property back in the US that helps. I will not lie I do have those moments of "I can't take another day of this sh*t" and mentally make my escape plans but I get over it. Living in Santo Domingo will do that to you from time to time. I had a friend who thought they too were running to their "dream" life here only for that so called dream to turn into a horrible nightmare. While it is a different lifestyle here, some say more relaxed it is definitely expensive. As a family we could probably live on less but that is not how I want to live. We are not living the highlife but we are comfortable. I don't think I would want to struggle financially in a country that is not my own. Not a lot of options (legal) for foreigners who struggle financially here. Amazingly many expats have done well here and continue to do well here. Many are here on DR1.

On a side note... how do you people support yourselves there, being expats and all? You can't ALL be retirees, can you?

Who knows.... We dont even use of real names in here.

Some posters dont even live here, they are still in the RatRace, "enjoying themselfs" slaving away in front of a computer looking at a blurred RD poster on the wall, waiting for the day when it is possible to leave the Job and the horros of Snow&Ice.

Only 25 years to go, only 25 years......

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Annie: Don't see what age has to do with life style. I have pretty good genes...

not about the genes so much as the life style comforts and common sense. I think that at 51 you will most likely HAVE health insurance wheras you might skip it at 36.. stuff like that... and what one considers comfortable as in toilet seats optional sorta thing. You are, for instance, more likely to actually know how to cook, know what a well balanced meal is, want to stay in a hotel which has a window in the bedroom .. stuff like that.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
I decided to live here because it's much less expensive than living in Qu?bec. Plus, I love the weather here. Finished with the winter coat, boots, tires for the car, etc...

Here, any month of the year I can take my trash out by only putting my flip flop on and going outside. Yes Sir !!!

Finally I realized that I can't afford to live in Qu?bec anymore. I pay 130$ a month for my appartment in POP with a guy friend who pays the other half, and I am pretty happy.

Not requesting much, I am happy with what I have now and don't need more. That's why I love living here. Yes I know about security and I take care of myself*. No boyfriend and no lover is the best way to avoid trouble.