Why are you in DR? Are you obsolete(d)?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
In the DR they will take the cabinets, window frames , doors, pipes, toilets(you name it)
When I said empty house I really meant empty house.

there is a guy from POP who went to the US for a while, and they just about stole his entire house. when he drove up to it, all he saw was the walls.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I did not post it to scare anyone. The OP was asking how it is and I said the truth.
Just so the person can be aware of the dangers. That's why when the OP stated
that he doesn't think it's so dangerous, I told him, then you'll do just fine and
wished him good luck. I'm not going to argue, he'll find out on his own.

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Leave me out of your list of hell bent. I say both the good and the bad about
the DR. Being Dominican and having Dominican family members living in the DR
gives me every right to say what I personally witness, experience and know.

Where you living? I understand certain areas are definitely more dangerous than others but many people here in Jarabacoa leave for several months and just lock their place up, and come back several months later with everything intact. Now if they had a place outside down I'm sure they would have to have family looking after it. Of course sometimes family are worse than paid help.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Where you living? I understand certain areas are definitely more dangerous than others but many people here in Jarabacoa leave for several months and just lock their place up, and come back several months later with everything intact. Now if they had a place outside down I'm sure they would have to have family looking after it. Of course sometimes family are worse than paid help.

not everybody wants to move to Jarabacoa. the beach sucks.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012

Saunders, good to hear to Jarabacoa is such a wonderful place. Sorry that can't be said for the
majority of places in the DR.(so secure)

About where I'm living? read my past posts, tired of repeating myself.(since your interested)

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
Bronze; i didn't mean to make light of your warning. Actually, I appreciate it. Need to hear the good and the bad. I find that some folk in my home town (mostly newcomers) downplay the danger, which, in actuality is very, very real. Coming from suburban, middle class backgrounds, they seem to think it is some sort of adventure. The sense of adventure generally ends when one is robbed, beaten, raped or murdered...or sometimes all of the above.

The one Dominican I was once acquainted (who lives in Europe) with warned me not to go there alone, that it was very dangerous to do so. Then again, while in Caledonia, one of the less desirable areas in Panama, I didn't realize I was in the hood until i ventured a couple of blocks in the wrong direction.

I think westerners often equate poverty with danger; they generally go hand in hand in most of the western world. It is not always the case though. What I have learned is this:

Take the word of the local over that of the gringo with regard to safety. That being said, sir, I thank you for your candor.

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Saunders, good to hear to Jarabacoa is such a wonderful place. Sorry that can't be said for the
majority of places in the DR.(so secure)

About where I'm living? read my past posts, tired of repeating myself.(since your interested)

Lately you seem to have a slightly less temperate attitude than the past. Something happen?

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
So, Bronze... can you tell me what is what, from your perspective? Where to go, where not to venture? I am interested
in your perspective.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
So, Bronze... can you tell me what is what, from your perspective? Where to go, where not to venture? I am interested
in your perspective.

bronzie is one of the best people to listen to in this matter. she is Dominican, and can say it like it is without having to absorb the attacks about offending Dominicans. some people here try too hard to make the DR sound like a paradise, while i am sure their significant others would run at the opportunity to get a green card.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
in your perspective.

You mean in the DR? It all depends what you are looking for. IF you are not fluent in spanish(or no nothing at all)
I certainly recommend living in expat communities(the north coast,Punta Cana etc.) and gated communities. Lots of them in the capitol) But it all depends what you are looking for.

Many expats and others who do not live in such communities are married to Dominicans.

I strongly advise against living in barrios, which abound.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You mean in the DR? It all depends what you are looking for. IF you are not fluent in spanish(or no nothing at all)
I certainly recommend living in expat communities(the north coast,Punta Cana etc.) and gated communities. Lots of them in the capitol) But it all depends what you are looking for.

Many expats and others who do not live in such communities are married to Dominicans.

Good advice. I live close to a barrio, and thankfully not in it.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Yes, it's called experience.Plus, I can sense when someone trying to look for an argument. I like
to nip it in the bud.

Bad experience I guess. I think that it's hard to go home again because home really hasn't changed much but usually the person has. My wife's cousin and his wife just experienced that. He could make the transition back to the DR, but she could with her daughters and grandchildren living the States.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Bad experience I guess. I think that it's hard to go home again because home really hasn't changed much but usually the person has. My wife's cousin and his wife just experienced that. He could make the transition back to the DR, but she could with her daughters and grandchildren living the States.

I am just appalled at how much the DR has changed over the years, I'm talking about the attitude,
of the people, something Dominicans abroad talk about constantly. Everything is about money.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I am just appalled at how much the DR has changed over the years, I'm talking about the attitude,
of the people, something Dominicans abroad talk about constantly. Everything is about money.

get on any bus, and in all conversations, the word that comes up most often is cualto

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013

I have experienced hanging out with American expats in Latin America. It was not enjoyable. Quite frankly, I was a bit disgusted by the fact that they seemed to be there only to have sex with very young women and drink lots of cheap beer, all the while complaining about the people there not speaking any English. Now, I have no problem with dating or sex with young (ADULT) women, and cheap beer is a good thing; I despise exploitation, however, and that is the vibe I got. So... not much into hanging out with the folk I am trying to get away from. Thank you for your advice. Anything else you would like to share?
By the way... my apologies for referring to you as "sir" earlier. :D

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
I have experienced hanging out with American expats in Latin America. It was not enjoyable. Quite frankly, I was a bit disgusted by the fact that they seemed to be there only to have sex with very young women and drink lots of cheap beer, all the while complaining about the people there not speaking any English. Now, I have no problem with dating or sex with young (ADULT) women, and cheap beer is a good thing; I despise exploitation, however, and that is the vibe I got. So... not much into hanging out with the folk I am trying to get away from. Thank you for your advice. Anything else you would like to share?
By the way... my apologies for referring to you as "sir" earlier. :D

That's okay, You're not the only one who has mistaken me for a he. :D