Why is the capital so ghetto ?? Is the rest of the country like that ????

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
and everyone offering tattoos and chicharon. Everyone just sitting down talking and drinking... music being played really loud

Sounds great!!!!!! lol

Washington Heights comes to mind.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
and dont get me wrong its my 5th time traveling to the capital... and i enjoy it.. just wondering how they expect to attract world class tourist when it seems very undeveloped for tourist IN THIS AREA

it's because DR generally attracts second grade first world tourists.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
Obv the whole capital is not like that but most of it seemed like it was

lots of litter, trash, did you see the wtf whatever partial shanties on the glide path into SDO Las Americas?
Dam surprising for some. But maybe the best place for sport phuking and leave it at that.

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
Since they have ruined the Zona Colonial thanks to Maribel. The tour guide's now take the tourist's to Blue Mall !

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Until one lives in the city 24/7 one shouldn't judge it.

There are many decent areas in District Nacional and in the outer zones of the city and it can be quite a vibrant place with lots to do despite it's traffic problems and growing pains.

Some comments suggest very limited world travel.

SDO is a growing metropolis in a developing country and no different if not a better major city than in many similar countries with very large tourist industries (Rio, Mexico City, Kingston, Port of Spain, Bangkok, Jakarta, Manila, Mumbai, Dehli, Cairo, Nairobi, Johannesburg, Cape Town to name a very few).

And even somewhere like London, Paris and Milan there are areas just outside the central areas which are almost no go zones.......Miami and other NA cities too.

Why do so many posters continually run down DR. Why live in DR? Why visit DR? Does the country need you when there are so very many and increasing numbers of holidaymakers flying in daily from all parts of the globe into Punta Cana and spending so much more hard currency here?

If your life choice was to put down roots here and it hasn't worked out, have the 'balls' to realize it and move on. If you got hooked with a chica and mistakenly put down roots and regret it, don't cloud the picture for everybody else. If you came here thinking things would be comfy without any formality required to stay and it has changed and are now bitter, don't pass on that bitterness.

DR has a whole lot more to offer than just SDO, Sosua and Boca Chica.........wake up.

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
This question is just plain stupid, as the OP obviously has his or her own definition of the word ghetto, which may or may not have a resemblance to the dictionary definition of the word, making the whole exercise essentially useless. The internet tells me ghetto means: "a part of a city, especially a slum area, occupied by a minority group or groups." Is there a minority group clustered in SD anywhere? I think the answer is no. There are rich Dominicans and poor Dominicans but no minority group. Anyways, the OP should go back to school before he or she attempts to write anything.

The OP might as well have asked "Why is the world so bad?" Huh? WTF? Thank you for that eloquent contribution to the grand conversation of the internet, OP. Thank you.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
This question is just plain stupid, as the OP obviously has his or her own definition of the word ghetto, which may or may not have a resemblance to the dictionary definition of the word, making the whole exercise essentially useless. The internet tells me ghetto means: "a part of a city, especially a slum area, occupied by a minority group or groups." Is there a minority group clustered in SD anywhere? I think the answer is no. There are rich Dominicans and poor Dominicans but no minority group. Anyways, the OP should go back to school before he or she attempts to write anything.

The OP might as well have asked "Why is the world so bad?" Huh? WTF? Thank you for that eloquent contribution to the grand conversation of the internet, OP. Thank you.

the internet might define ghetto in the classic sense, but if you are current you will know that the way in which the word ghetto is used is intended to evoke images of a certain lifestyle. it has nothing to do with race. there are some pretty ghetto white people, and i believe the term reserved for them is redneck.

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
The point is that in the slang usage, or "current" usage of the word, you can take two people viewing the same neighborhood and one person may label the neighborhood as ghetto and the other may not, thereby rendering the judgment and the question that prompted it completely subjective and an exercise in futility.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The point is that in the slang usage, or "current" usage of the word, you can take two people viewing the same neighborhood and one person may label the neighborhood as ghetto and the other may not, thereby rendering the judgment and the question that prompted it completely subjective and an exercise in futility.

i understand your point, but when i go through a neighborhood and i see garbage everywhere, and guys sitting on the sidewalk playing dominoes and leaving empty grande bottles on the ground,i call that ghetto. when guys have huge speakers on the front porch, and there is two weeks worth of laundry hanging on the front gate, i consider that to be ghetto.

your mileage may vary.

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
I hear you, Gorgon. Using the colloquial definition, or my version of the colloquial definition... when I first visited the DR I thought the whole damn country was ghetto. But my perceptions and judgments in that regard started shifting before I even arrived, on the flight down. I looked at my fellow passengers, mostly Dominicans, or Americans of Dominican descent and a good 50% of them were dressed "ghetto," yet, they could afford the plane ticket, which is a decidedly non-ghetto thing. Upon arrival, almost every single corner of SD had ghetto characteristics to my eyes, except for the 1% neighborhoods.

As I have come to know and understand Dominican society over the years though, I have realized that even respectable, educated, middle class or upper class Dominican neighborhoods can display ghetto characteristics. I can not think of one solidly middle class neighborhood in the USA that looks ghetto but I can think of several solidly middle class zones in SD that are, TO MY EYES, ghetto.

May 29, 2006
Funny that the OP is from NYC, complains about how *ghetto* SD is, then wonders if the rest of the country is like that. I have to explain to ppl all of the time that being from Upstate NY and being from NYC is not the same thing.

This is also the DR:

319833_10200198139653699_1278856411_n.jpg

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I hear you, Gorgon. Using the colloquial definition, or my version of the colloquial definition... when I first visited the DR I thought the whole damn country was ghetto. But my perceptions and judgments in that regard started shifting before I even arrived, on the flight down. I looked at my fellow passengers, mostly Dominicans, or Americans of Dominican descent and a good 50% of them were dressed "ghetto," yet, they could afford the plane ticket, which is a decidedly non-ghetto thing. Upon arrival, almost every single corner of SD had ghetto characteristics to my eyes, except for the 1% neighborhoods.

As I have come to know and understand Dominican society over the years though, I have realized that even respectable, educated, middle class or upper class Dominican neighborhoods can display ghetto characteristics. I can not think of one solidly middle class neighborhood in the USA that looks ghetto but I can think of several solidly middle class zones in SD that are, TO MY EYES, ghetto.

funny you add that the people were dressed ghetto,but could afford the plane ticket. however, to my way of thinking, the word afford is open to interpretation. i am sure you are aware of places in the inner cities of the USA where people live in Section 8 housing, do not have a bottle of water in the refrigerator, but have a huge late model car parked out front. most of the people you meet on these flights cannot afford it, in the strict sense of the word. they will be paying for it for the next 2 years.

secondly, you use the term solidly middle class. in the USA, and such places, a solidly middle class area generally has people who have common status and background. in the DR, you might have such a region at the outset, but all it takes to wreck the joint is one bad tenant, and it is over.