Why is the capital so ghetto ?? Is the rest of the country like that ????

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
This is also the DR

so is this:

352onyr.jpg

and this stands out a lot more than a postcard view in your picture.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Not ghetto as in slummy ( although it also has that) but the zona colonial ... side streets with people just sitting there. homeless .

UMMM... have you been to any big city in America??? or anywhere else???? first time off the campo?????

Aug 6, 2006
Latin countries do not generally have zoning laws as do cities in the US. Often some rich person buys property for investment or perhaps to build on it for himself or his family someday. But he cannot leave it vacant, so he finds a poor relative or some other poor person to build a shack and live there until he is ready to sell the property or build something on it.
So you see a shack (often behind a very high wall) next door to a mansion. Not something you would see in Shaker Heights or Coral Gables.

The Dominican Republic is a much poorer country than the US, in addition to this. If you want to see cities that are not "ghetto", perhaps Switzerland or some of the ancient cities of Germany or the Netherlands will be more to your liking.
But they will perhaps be less friendly and more boring to the tastes of some people.

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
My godness, you call SD an ghetto???? you're frickin joke aren't you? I went to SD all the times and its not empty. If you go to Agora Mall, they are always full. Try Galeria 360, Blue Mall, many resturants all over....

Bottom Line: Santo Domingo is NOT an ghetto, bun maybe you don't have a life.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I agree that this could also be fun.

I have never played any cards or dominoes long enough to be very good at it, and I find losing my money more annoying than I find winning gratifying. But that is just me.
The odds of a Chinese Jamaican offering me a deal as you mention is unlikely in my case, but I can see how it could be fun.

you state that , in your mind?s eye, the idea of losing is more annoying than the joy of winning. that is a classical example of the concept known as Prospect Theory. when two guys try to decide whether to buy a lotto ticket with a 10% chance of winning, one is scared that he has a 90% choice of losing, while the other is happy with a 10% chance of winning.

that is the theory which dispels the time honored idea in economics which suggests that consumers act rationally.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
My godness, you call SD an ghetto???? you're frickin joke aren't you? I went to SD all the times and its not empty. If you go to Agora Mall, they are always full. Try Galeria 360, Blue Mall, many resturants all over....

Bottom Line: Santo Domingo is NOT an ghetto, bun maybe you don't have a life.

I find SD super chaotic and stifling, I am experienced with chaos in developing capitals, but most vacationers including myself don't care for that.

Newsflash: Vacationers don't care about malls unless they live there, they have the same back home.

Aug 6, 2006
Since Florida started selling lottery a long time ago, I have had three tickets. One was a gift, and it allowed me to cash in on another ticket, which lost. I had a girlfriend that had an obsessive belief in numerology who added up all the letters of my name, and the time of day and the address of the store selling tickets and determined that if I bought a lottery ticket at that specific place on that specific time, I would not fail to win. So I invested a whole two dollars just to shut her up.
Of course I lost, but then she told me that it was because she included my middle name, so I made her recalculate her prognosis based on the numbers that she got without my middle name, and made her compare it to the winning number.
It also would have been a loser. So she blamed me on having the "wrong attitude", and I asked her what numbers one used for attitudes.

After that she annoyed others with her "destino de millonario" predictions.

I did become a millonario, however, so she was not entirely wrong. When I exchanged US$300 into Guaran?es in Encarnaci?n Paraguay, I had well over a million G's.
I spent Gs29,000 on lunch, though. Una sopa paraguaya, which turned out to be deliciosa, although definitely not anything I would call soup.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I find SD super chaotic and stifling, I am experienced with chaos in developing capitals, but most vacationers including myself don't care for that.

Newsflash: Vacationers don't care about malls unless they live there, they have the same back home.

it is like selling the Teleferrico as some great attraction to people from Switzerland, and Austria, and Germany, when they have bigger and better cable cars in their backyards. or, better yet, the guys who believe that an amusement park would be a great idea for a tourist attraction.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I think Santo Domingo is more and more becoming a modern city (the central polygon that is).

Neighborhoods like villa Mella , los alcarrizos, villa Juana, etc. are maybe 'ghetto' but you don't need to go there if you don't want to. There's not much there except cheap car repair shops that will charge you little and change your car's good parts for used ones.

Unfortunately, the "Thugs" who live there, come out!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Funny that the OP is from NYC, complains about how *ghetto* SD is, then wonders if the rest of the country is like that. I have to explain to ppl all of the time that being from Upstate NY and being from NYC is not the same thing.

This is also the DR:

319833_10200198139653699_1278856411_n.jpg

Down loaded with permission from "Pichardo.com"!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Everything in the World is RELATIVE...presently planning a trip from London to Paris via the Eurostar Train. Looking at videos of the trip from one place to the other, it's apparent that you travel through some pretty "shady", "sh!tty" and otherwise "Ghetto areas...especially when entering Paris...supposedly one of the most developed "1st World Capitals" in the World.

Make sure you go to the Dining car on the Eurostar. Food is good and you will see a lot and not spill a drop of your drinks.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Everything in the World is RELATIVE...presently planning a trip from London to Paris via the Eurostar Train. Looking at videos of the trip from one place to the other, it's apparent that you travel through some pretty "shady", "sh!tty" and otherwise "Ghetto areas...especially when entering Paris...supposedly one of the most developed "1st World Capitals" in the World.

You watch videos of your upcoming train trip ? :laugh:

Many ghetto areas in Paris, but the slight difference is that no one would offer their primas/girlfriend for a meal, they have water and electricity 24/7.
Second there are enough non-shaddy areas so that any tourists still think it is the most beautiful city in the world.

Aug 6, 2006
oking at videos of the trip from one place to the other, it's apparent that you travel through some pretty "shady", "sh!tty" and otherwise "Ghetto areas...especially when entering Paris...supposedly one of the most developed "1st World Capitals" in the World.

Being as even the poshest of trains make a lot of noise, the neighborhoods on sees from a train anywhere in the world are likely to be either industrial or pretty rundown compared to the rest of the city.
Poor people live near the tracks because the rent and/or housing is low.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
oking at videos of the trip from one place to the other, it's apparent that you travel through some pretty "shady", "sh!tty" and otherwise "Ghetto areas...especially when entering Paris...supposedly one of the most developed "1st World Capitals" in the World.

Being as even the poshest of trains make a lot of noise, the neighborhoods on sees from a train anywhere in the world are likely to be either industrial or pretty rundown compared to the rest of the city.
Poor people live near the tracks because the rent and/or housing is low.

Since the opening of borders through EU, France has had a flood of Roms (gypsies) from Eastern Europe (Romania), they live in deplorable conditions, beg and children are organised in pickpocket gangs. So, now in the outskirt of Paris, you have their camps, which are dismantled then rebuilt. It s a big problem in many European countries.

We were used to gypsies, but not that poor. They lived in trailer not make shift camps.

2529057.jpg

@Dad's: Be very very careful/watchful, with your belongings in Paris (especially in the subway). I have seen them in action, you wont feel a thing.

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Until one lives in the city 24/7 one shouldn't judge it.

DR has a whole lot more to offer than just SDO, Sosua and Boca Chica.........wake up.

I don't live in Santo Domingo and I will judge it as I see fit. I do live in the DR. I have to visit Santo Domingo to accomplish some asinine and/or ridiculous things the DR government forces me to do and also on occasion visit members of the family that are there.

Every time I enter Santo Domingo, I cannot wait until I return home to the north coast.