Why No Drunk Driving Law Enforcement? Unreal!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The most dangerous thing on these roads at night by far are the Motos driving with NO lights. Hit one and see how you do afterwards.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
The most dangerous thing on these roads at night by far are the Motos driving with NO lights. Hit one and see how you do afterwards.

You do what any Dominican would do.....put the pedal to the metal and let her roar.....get outta dodge man and in a hurry..........or just plain HAMMERDOWN!!!! That's what I would do.......

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You do what any Dominican would do.....put the pedal to the metal and let her roar.....get outta dodge man and in a hurry..........or just plain HAMMERDOWN!!!! That's what I would do.......

Never said I would do anything different.............

eastcoastmike

Jul 18, 2004
Developing insinuates forward motion......I'll leave it at that. BUT Cobraboy your response was a realistic one. "Show by example" may just be the best that one can do/hope for!

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
i
Serious problem for who? Expats or Dominicans? How many Dominicans are complaining about this serious social problem?

Why do north Americans move to a country that they dont like? Then they feel the need to save these poor people from themselves.
I believe you think in the same way about red light running, or driving without license. Ok, but according to my knowledge it is forbidden according to Dominican law. Whats wrong to expect citizen following the law.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
i
I believe you think in the same way about red light running, or driving without license. Ok, but according to my knowledge it is forbidden according to Dominican law. Whats wrong to expect citizen following the law.
Agreed.

BUT

There are, in fact, situations when following the law endangers yourself and those around you.

For instance, if you're the first car stopped at a red light and a car or two behind you are just itching to run that light and exhibit strong signals that, by damn, they're going to push traffic aside to do it while endangering all, I just look both ways and GO and give the guy some room...he's going to do it anyway....to resolve the situation.

This is especially true when I'm leading a group on motorcycles because some locals have a genetic predisposition to pass a motorcycle no matter how foolish.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Although not perfect, I have the distinct impression that particpation in traffic after the consumption of alcohol is less and less accepted in 'normal' Dominican families.

But just like in our own counties, these things take time.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Although not perfect, I have the distinct impression that particpation in traffic after the consumption of alcohol is less and less accepted in 'normal' Dominican families.

But just like in our own counties, these things take time.
It's evolving.

I even hear the concept of "designated driver" being employed, especially in the younger professional classes and university students.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
You don't like my attitude, that is your right. Stupid response? Based on what I am reading from other posters it doesn't seem so. It is a serious problem but one that the DR Gov won't be tackling any time soon. Consider this, liquor is sold just about anywhere and everywhere. You don't need a liquor license to sell these products . People sit out in front of stores drinking. It is a national pastime. You are being very naive if you think things will change anytime soon. We come from other countries and bring our first world thinking with us. It is difficult for we "gringos" to not think how things would be done in our country of origin. You are not there. So you either have to accept what goes on or leave and go somewhere else. Sorry to say, it is the sad truth.
That's solid advice. Well spoken LtSteve.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Most of you are missing the point. Stop the North America VS The DR debate. Innocent people are being killed and maimed everyday. I understand "that's just how it is" BUT if one of your family members were killed or maimed would you have the same response? BE HONEST! In a CIVILIZED society does one not deserve some basic protection on the roads? So either agree with me OR agree that The DR is an uncivilized country!
Ok , in many situations the D.R. is uncivilized compared to N.A. standards. But I set up shop in the D.R. to get away from the hyper civilized North America. Eastcostmike, you are swimming upstream, it's only a matter of time before you get worn down, or learn to go with the flow; safely.

eastcoastmike

Jul 18, 2004
I've been hanging around this place since'84. I know all about going with the flow. I guess as you get older one worries more about keeping ones head attached to the rest of ones body!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
do not underestimate these people.... not stupid... they get it

big cities differ from back country.....

when 'out & about' in back country.... carry a whip.
the metropolis - different story... much more civilized

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
i

Firstly, what exactly is forbidden according to Dominican law? Second of all, everything is wrong with expecting the average Dominican to follow the law, are you mad. If the law do not know the law, and so are unable to enforce it, what expectation can you have for the average Jose?

I have noticed over the years that they are buying new vehicles, I like the new Amet motor cycles around the city, but they live by an 'on the spot fine' basis rather than law enforcement. 100pesos goes a long way. Had they put the money for the lovely new motorcylces and pickups into education of officers and designing some sort of selection process then we might be going somewhere. But I like it, I wouldn't change it. Even then this attempt would not go anywhere, it is useless.

If you put the power of the average law enforcement officer of the Dominican Republic, no matter what department he belonged to, just to be able to arrest people, or even accuse people for breaking the law then there would be no change, they don't have the balls. Whenever they have ran any kind of crackdown in the capital it lasts 3 days, some enforcers get killed or shot and so they chill and things return to calm (smooth mayhem).

75% of cars in DR are not road worthy (that's a guess) by civilized standards. 75% of drivers can not drive as the civilized world would have them, which is really ignorant of expats (which in my opinion does not make them bad drivers). 75% of the people driving have no education so to speak of, and so understanding the need for development in driving is not important, they are dumb or don't care. 75% of people driving live in barrios where life is not getting better, any kind of a car is a great car, and any night you can drive your car with a bottle of Brugal to the beach is excellent. And 75% of ex pats complain about driving in DR. The odds are against you, so take a taxi, stay home or deal with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.