Why retire in the DR full time?

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Retiring here was the best decision I have ever made. I could have moved to the Southern part of the United States, but I spent my early years in Mississippi and had no desire to return there, didn't want to live in Florida, Texas, Arizona or New Mexico, and I couldn't really afford a metropolitan area and certainly wouldn't have had a 3 bed/3 bath condo with an ocean view and a housekeeper two mornings a week. I can actually save $500 a month of my $1,611 in social security and I'm pleased with the healthcare options and affordability. I don't have any family here, but I've made some good friends and I will probably end up with a full-time live-in caregiver eventually due to Parkinson's and a bone marrow cancer. I go out to eat in nice places (not all the time) and I am able to help less fortunate people fairly often with either effort or money! All in all, I'm happy! That's the best thing of all! I don't worry too much about crime. It can happen anywhere. And I never went out much at night. I have stopped driving. What's to worry about? No, it's not perfect but I'm so glad I only have to read about US politics, not live it like I did for 40 years in the Washington DC Metro Area. Corruption and pollution are not DR exclusive! I say again, why live here if you don't want to...?

Last edited:

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Literally cant afford to live in their home country or dont want to face outstanding warrants.

I am sure you know of them.

Then there are those who don't want to live in their own country for one reason or another that has nothing to do with warrants or money and prefer the slow and sometimes backwards culture of the DR. Maybe some of these folks didn't grow up with "The Green Thing", and don't like it..

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Yup

voluntary and involuntary....

guess which is more unhappy
The happiness comes through the post.

You can just tell one from the other.
53923cdb9fdabdb4c69ba0cc87eaedb4.jpg

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
we are here because we choose to be. Good or bad we don't want to return to our birth nation -not even in a box. we take care not to expose ourselves to the bad parts and wholly enjoy all the good parts. Life's a beach.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I can....
I'm capable of a life of my choosing... anywhere in the world (almost)

I choose here.....
Future upside (read Investment), easy NoAmerican access, affordability (stretch my $$)

Many have said it here before...
they never had household help until here.

And therein lies my trump card....
I can get very, very good care here in an old age.....

Back to my saying - Good connections/network.

I have friends whose parents are costing them $15-20,000/month in Canada
and the actual care ain't so good
...so true..,

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
Given a good retirement income i cant see a reason to retire to the DR full time unless you have very strong family ties or are somehow partaking in the lawlessness.

No matter how well you try to insulate yourself from physical harm, its near impossible to offset the dangers of crime and transportation.

Even if you have only have limited retirement funds its still a tricky risk vs reward question.

I always thought i would retire in DR or Cuba...where i have family/friends connections and feel most at ease..with like minded culture/language..and know how to stay out of trouble...i miss the smell of the soil when it rains..and the magic all around..hard to explain.I fully retired in 2004..and still live in california...expensive and crowded... high taxes and millions of illegals milking the local tax base.
But,,w/ enough resources at hand you make your own world...and live a privileged life.
Home care is definitely an advantage...in DR, and its a deal breaker in many cases in the states due to exorbitant cost...not so in DR..and would say that the care you get is really good..medical care is excellent..rent super cheap..many many advantages.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Given a good retirement income i cant see a reason to retire to the DR full time unless you have very strong family ties or are somehow partaking in the lawlessness.

No matter how well you try to insulate yourself from physical harm, its near impossible to offset the dangers of crime and transportation.

Even if you have only have limited retirement funds its still a tricky risk vs reward question.

I qualify for both : strong family ties and partaking in the lawlessness ;) ;)

For the life of me I cant see ANY reason to retire in the dr, $-€-£ apart.....and even then I can think of other affordable places.
Ok, maybe 1 reason or 2.....like the possibility of isolation and.......well, ok, I need to think of a 2nd reason.

And, yes, I do love the dr, and I am very happy, thank you very much...... and I dont have any (active) warrents out on me...... well at least on the identity I am using atm ;) -----------only kidding.

Hell guys, the dr is right up there with syria and CAR on the list of countries you-dont-want-to-be-here-if-you-need-any-kind-of-non-family-assistance...........
And yes, I know, there are some OK medical facilities....... but 1) you need to actually get to them ( which rules out my sole plausible reson for being in the dr in the first place),
and 2 ) if you happen to pass out- or break a leg -, you will notwake up in a nice clean hospital room.... even money on waking-up-minus-a-couple-of-organs-and-minus-all-your-earthly-possessions....... that is if you wake up at all......lol

To conclude, the dominican republic is a really nice place to live, when you are young-ish, when you have no kids and when your moral standards are below average........

P.S. I still love living in the dr.

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
I forgot to add(SEE CAPS)... "Given a good retirement income i cant see a reason to retire to the DR full time unless you have very strong family ties or are somehow partaking in the lawlessness OR LIKE DATING BEAUTIFUL/HANDSOME PERSONS THAT YOU COULD NEVER HAVE IN YOUR HOME COUNTRY."

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I forgot to add(SEE CAPS)... "Given a good retirement income i cant see a reason to retire to the DR full time unless you have very strong family ties or are somehow partaking in the lawlessness OR LIKE DATING BEAUTIFUL/HANDSOME PERSONS THAT YOU COULD NEVER HAVE IN YOUR HOME COUNTRY."

Nope, you are better off bringing your spouse from your home country ( and if she is dominicana, the better ), it will avoid you all sorts of headaches.....imo.and then you can date beautiful/ handsome persons that you could never have in your home country.

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
Nope, you are better off bringing your spouse from your home country ( and if she is dominicana, the better ), it will avoid you all sorts of headaches.....imo.and then you can date beautiful/ handsome persons that you could never have in your home country.
The best of both worlds! ;)

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Literally cant afford to live in their home country or dont want to face outstanding warrants.

I am sure you know of them.

Yeah my neighbor - deported from NY for gang activity and drug busts - during Obama's 1st term - a Dominican forced back to DR who now can't leave.

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
Yeah my neighbor - deported from NY for gang activity and drug busts - during Obama's 1st term - a Dominican forced back to DR who now can't leave.
Most of those you dont know about. A few members on dr1 have said they would leave if they could afford to. At least 1 mod... Lol

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Most of those you dont know about. A few members on dr1 have said they would leave if they could afford to. At least 1 mod... Lol
Maybe we can chip in for the Mod's airfare?

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk