Why retire in the DR full time?

JDFriend

the Translator
May 15, 2007
we are here because we choose to be. Good or bad we don't want to return to our birth nation -not even in a box. we take care not to expose ourselves to the bad parts and wholly enjoy all the good parts. Life's a beach.
True. It all depends on what you plannned for your retirement - activities, travel, etc. and of course financial situation. It's a question of preferences and choices. No country is perfect. It's all up to you to build your life and surroundings, as you wish. Then, one needs to clearly adjust to the local culture, language, habits, laws and stop looking for "what they had back home". I've been coming here for more than 30 years and always knew I was going to retire here. I'm easy going, I live with very good Dominicans, and have been well accepted in the family. At the same time, I am careful and rarely go out at night. Agreed with WW, I will live here for the rest of my life because I know it's the best place for me, and at the end, whatever will be necessary, will be.....

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Given a good retirement income i cant see a reason to retire to the DR full time unless you have very strong family ties or are somehow partaking in the lawlessness.

No matter how well you try to insulate yourself from physical harm, its near impossible to offset the dangers of crime and transportation.

Even if you have only have limited retirement funds its still a tricky risk vs reward question.

I agree. If I had to do it all over again I never would have bought property in Las Terrenas. My wife and I lived there for half the year from November through April. If you can afford it why would you want to be there during Summer and the hurricane season? We were able to have the best of both worlds. I would recommend renting for the period that you are there. Then you simply walk away and don't have to worry about security, maintenance and other problems that arise while you are not there. Many don't have that luxury and live in the DR full time. That is also fine. My main concern with retiring and buying a home in the DR that you only use part of the year but you are paying for it the whole year. Many problems can arise when you are not there. Yes you can rent it out but again you need to have someone with boots on the ground who can take care of the property. I was never overly concerned about driving in the DR. I owned a vehicle which sat there for half the year but it was inside a garage. I also lived in a condo complex, gated property, so never really worried much about crime inside the grounds. I would be concerned if I moved to the DR and owned a free standing home. Here you are always a target. Most of the friends I had in Las Terrenas fit into this category and were broken into to at one time or another. If you are going to live in the DR for part of the year and still want to buy property than stick with an apartment where there are other people around and some security features. Good luck and good travels

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Rent is the way to go. You can rent $300,000 Condos for $800 a month. Some people rent large houses just to cover expense. The key is you can walk at any time. Noise can develop into an insufferable problem after you buy. Some joker moves his family near you with a new stereo, etc.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Renting may suit some

I think we need to define ‘retire’
Steve’s 5-6 months a year is not retiring to me

Retire involves leaving your Home county in many cases or at best spending the bulk of your time in Your place of retirement.

To me, that puts a different focus on things.

I spend 8-9 months here....
My one key to survival is changing the scenery when I want to..... that’s where a rent comes in....
At the other end... my visiting end

I have my furniture here, my belongings, have a bought vehicles.
Yes, I have some of the same in NoAmerica... cars and some furniture

Depending on we define retirement, we may be talking about 2 different sets of circumstances here

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Renting may suit some

I think we need to define ‘retire’
Steve’s 5-6 months a year is not retiring to me

Retire involves leaving your Home county in many cases or at best spending the bulk of your time in Your place of retirement.

To me, that puts a different focus on things.

I spend 8-9 months here....
My one key to survival is changing the scenery when I want to..... that’s where a rent comes in....
At the other end... my visiting end

I have my furniture here, my belongings, have a bought vehicles.
Yes, I have some of the same in NoAmerica... cars and some furniture

Depending on we define retirement, we may be talking about 2 different sets of circumstances here

Good point. We are retired. We have a home in DR. We are not retired to DR.

We personally have a very close knit family in NJ. We would never retire to any international destination simply because we’d miss them too much.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Read pularvik’s post earlier..... her move from Canada.... sin seguro de salud

That’s retiring to the DR

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
We need to be careful here

We’ll end up talking about the benefits of apartment living vs a house
Whether pets are involved

This won’t be a true retirement discussion

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We would never have purchased a house in Las Terrenas, nor in Sosua. Santo Domingo would be out of the question. From Jarabacoa, my wife would never want to live there, nor would I. Our house is in Cabarete.

With the rentals we have had out of our property over 15 years, the house owes us little. Fully paid upon purchase. No taxes. Currently with 24/7 power (the one thing that earlier was very frustrating and was a chore to endure, but that is finally over), fiber optic cable service and good water supplied by the water company.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Agreed Windy
LT is very nice - for a visit - I go for lunch, rarely overnight.

There are places that offer more - hard to some to believe, especially those of the 'tourist mentality'

Again -- two very different things - a vacation home and a retirement home

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Own a house in Canada, own another in Jarabacoa. Owe a little on the one in Canada but my son is paying the mortgage and nothing owing in Jarabacoa. Just bought a 1000 sq meters to build another house. I still am not retired as the school will have around 700 students this year. Actually I don't think we will ever do " full-time" retirement. We go on two vacations out of the DR every year- one in the summer and one in the winter.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
.......my wife - who doesn't really like it here .......

WW if this is too personal of a question please say so, and I hope it is on topic, but I am curious how to compromise with a partner who is less enthusiastic than I about relocating to a country where there are no family ties and several other (for them) unfavourable living aspects. How have you done it?

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
...always thought Brazil would be the place for me...the beach in Rio...spent a lot of time there in the 70s and 80s, thats when the military ran the country...then the politicos took over, total disaster...sooo I needed a new place and of course I meet a young lady from the DR so here I am ...I am here now almost all the time, except to visit Rio for carnival every year( would recommend that to anyone)...work part time, and have a small church, Count me in until the end of the line......Rev. Doc.....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
WW if this is too personal of a question please say so, and I hope it is on topic, but I am curious how to compromise with a partner who is less enthusiastic than I about relocating to a country where there are no family ties and several other (for them) unfavourable living aspects. How have you done it?

hahaha

initially , easily but as the Playa Grande golf dried up and some friends sold - it has gotten touchy.

She likes it- but not for extended periods... 2-3 weeks max .... so she flies
add in the factor that our 2 daughters are very fond of it here

Our case is different somewhat in that we need a country having left both Canada and the USA
We have the normal 'ex-pat' advantages as to tax residencies so that weighs heavily on the decision

'just in case'... we have taken her off everything so she is free to re-assume residency where she wishes
my daughters & I will carry the pail from here
Good estate planning too... remembering that I was sick recently...
I started to plan more ( that's getting too personal !!)

anyway - I am good at this stuff... financial planning so am happy where we are

as a practical matter- after 35+ yrs and a 13 yr age gap...
we might need more time ourselves as paths diverge a bit for a while

I often consider a business advising/consulting people on how to 'relocate' for more advantageous financial purposes.
not sure if it would fly.

there you are - in a nutshell

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
With 2 pensions, social sec, and VA disability, I could live like a king in the DR.......If I so desired. That ain't gonna happen. I was somewhat on the fence until my visit to JD two weeks ago cemented my decision.
The level of incompetence and ignorance I've experienced the past ten years, has convinced me that it's not worth the frustration.
We were at a "nice" condo in JD. Upon arrival, the gate guards would not let us enter because they could not find my name on the guest list. Took a full half hour for them to figure it out.
Upon entry to our unit, one toilet didn't flush, the LR TV was not functioning, the WIFI didn't connect, and the AC wasn't working. Found and reset the tripped breaker, but only managed to get lukewarm air. The 2nd string maintenance guy was dispatched to our unit, and tried to convince us that since the air was blowing, it was obviously functioning properly. said the toilet required a part thw needed replacement, and that we were responsilbe for the costs. Gave up on him, and spent the night with the fans on full tilt.
Next morning, 1st string arrives, fixed toilet, and replaces capacitor on roof unit. Air was somewhat cooler, but did not cool unit sufficiently. Property mgr assures us that in time it will blow very cold.
We go out to eat and shop, and return several hours later to find the temp is again unbearable.
I downloaded an ambient temp app, and measured 89 deg. I sent the results to the mgr, who apologizes profusely, and promises to have someone on site first thing in the AM.
Next morning, being a sunday, 2nd stringer arrives, claims there is obviously a blockage in the ductwork; a task which will involve an extensive undertaking.
It was at this point that I threw in the towel.
If this were the first instance of this nature, I would obviously dismiss it. But I have seen the same thing or similar on various parts of the island.
IMO, it is a lack of education, shortsightedness, and no concept of customer service, which is the root of the problem.
Colombia, here I come;"con much gusto".

Last edited:

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
hahaha

initially , easily but as the Playa Grande golf dried up and some friends sold - it has gotten touchy.

Give us an update on Playa Grande - will it reopen before I have my final 'stroke'?

Had a drinking buddy die on the back nine of a Carmel golf course at age 45. He was playing with a couple of my friends - we always joked (you had to know him) that he took one stroke too many on the 11th hole.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The 11th at Pebble is a tough 3....
enough to give you a stroke.

Playa Grande does not appear to re-opening to the public.... quite private at this point.

the situation may change, but for now....

sad news to deliver.... sorry
a few changes made -- new grass AGAIN!!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
mobrouser

thinking in my shower (not singing)

I should have given you my flippant answer....

The Three Keys to Happiness - in no particular order - and you only need two of the three to nail it !!

Charm, Good Looks and the Right Equipment

Those of us with all three..... just imagine !!!!

I suppose we could stretch it to four.... a nice monthly allowance would be an asset

HAHAHAHA !!!