Why retire in the DR full time?

JDFriend

the Translator
May 15, 2007
Retiring here was the best decision I have ever made. I could have moved to the Southern part of the United States, but I spent my early years in Mississippi and had no desire to return there, didn't want to live in Florida, Texas, Arizona or New Mexico, and I couldn't really afford a metropolitan area and certainly wouldn't have had a 3 bed/3 bath condo with an ocean view and a housekeeper two mornings a week. I can actually save $500 a month of my $1,611 in social security and I'm pleased with the healthcare options and affordability. I don't have any family here, but I've made some good friends and I will probably end up with a full-time live-in caregiver eventually due to Parkinson's and a bone marrow cancer. I go out to eat in nice places (not all the time) and I am able to help less fortunate people fairly often with either effort or money! All in all, I'm happy! That's the best thing of all! I don't worry too much about crime. It can happen anywhere. And I never went out much at night. I have stopped driving. What's to worry about? No, it's not perfect but I'm so glad I only have to read about US politics, not live it like I did for 40 years in the Washington DC Metro Area. Corruption and pollution are not DR exclusive! I say again, why live here if you don't want to...?
Exactly. Life is based on people relationship. If you like the people and can relate, and learn the language, that's all you need to think about. It should NOT be based on $$. Two words: health care and friends. Either you dig it, or you don't. Not complicated. To retire (hate that expression) or to plan the second phase of your life should be based on YOUR preferences. If you know what you like and what you want, that's all you need to know. I am retired here and very happy, but this may not be for everyone. Conclusion: I don't worry about things.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
....... i cant see a reason to retire to the DR full time unless you have very strong family ties or are somehow partaking in the lawlessness.....

Family ties or lawlessness?
Damn.. and I thought I had
a negative attitude some
mornings.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Retiring 'Full Time' might be a misnomer....

Usually, leaving your home country involves an absence of more than 6 months... 1/2 a year

Yes, some do spend a full year here --- not me -- I move a couple of times a year.

Why here ?
ease of access to Can/USA
good enough health care
Climate
cost of living
and a few others - in no particular order

The order changes according to the circumstances.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Paradise found & funded. Good show Windy. Now please focus on reforming DGM. :)

I just spotted this one.

I have had a campaign for reforming DGM since they messed up the residency that I held since before moving here in 2003.
Turns out is was me and many others apparently because of a hard drive that went bad and had no backup. At least that is what the lawyers I have spoken to along the way think. After remotely requesting and finally receiving Apostilled birth certificates from back home (most people have to fly home to get them) , I can proceed with the process, myself, not using lawyers except when needed to officially translate or locally legalize documents.

DGM is indeed a royally messed up place. The form I need to fill out to complete my own special regularization has been requested, but not yet available in the local office. It is not available on line and must be filled out in the office by me. Manana? Or do I have to go directly to Santo Domingo to do it? I suspect I will be in Santo Domingo soon.

Last edited: