Why retire in the DR full time?

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
...ROLLOUT......thats the price you pay when you deal with people with a average of a 3rd grade education....and as for customer service, someone could get rich if they introduced it here........Doc..........

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
I understand completely what you are saying, and, for me, I'm not willing to pay that price. I intend to remain in my peaceful paradise in the FL panhandle, where everyone calls me "sir", am 4 minutes from the ocean, and I can go fishing for a day and not have to worry about locking my doors.
Only problem, ain't no chicas. I make up for that by travelling to various parts when I desire.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Very interesting thread ... Kind of shows how & why some people who perhaps because they are stable, and well grounded in Reality , and not expecting to change their HOST Country into the one they LEFT, and forcing their 1st words values on them , would therefore fit in anywhere they chose to retire, be it the DR, other Islands , or the Far East.. they would fit in anywhere...
... and some others, not so much..

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Colombia is better in every aspect except one,no quality beaches in easily accessible areas. It is the only reason I am here in the DR.
Beaches are overrated. Sticky. Sandy. Skin cancer.

Uck

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I like being near the beach, or at least being able to see the water but I have not real desire to go stand on the beach. If I didn't have a pool I'd be more inclined to go once or twice then like going to the gym, never again.

Different strokes for different folks.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Great to look at and the breeze, while sitting in the shade.
I like being near the beach, or at least being able to see the water but I have not real desire to go stand on the beach. If I didn't have a pool I'd be more inclined to go once or twice then like going to the gym, never again.

Different strokes for different folks.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Great to look at and the breeze, while sitting in the shade.

Agreed. Our house is just a short walk to the beach, but the difference in the air when sitting under the trees on the sand is totally different. Watching the water totally relaxes me.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I never go to the beach to 'sit'....

I go in the mornings at low tide for my walking exercise - to day was excellent...
9:31 low tide (north coast)....
Firm sand, lapping water and a dip afterwards.

My Cdn house is 30-40 yds from the beach - I rarely go to it
but enjoy the view of it...

same here in RD... if I can look over the oldest lighthouse in the New World - I see the ocean

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Very interesting thread ... Kind of shows how & why some people who perhaps because they are stable, and well grounded in Reality , and not expecting to change their HOST Country into the one they LEFT, and forcing their 1st words values on them , would therefore fit in anywhere they chose to retire, be it the DR, other Islands , or the Far East.. they would fit in anywhere...
... and some others, not so much..

One of my personal cliche over used comments is that we expats are not the tail that is going to wag this dog.

I could be in Florida or New York, but I don't care much for Florida and I hate the weather in the northeast.

I was on my way to retiring in Sri Lanka, but people died and that was not to be.

I ended up here on a vacation and it became the option that I took instead. It will be 15 years in September.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
The People I met in South East Asia, seem to be the most Settled in and adapted to their Environments ,. especially those who were Stationed there before they Retired, so they pretty much knew what to expect, and they all had Great Stories to tell ... cant wait to see some of them again
... They are Living like Kings .. every need attended to ..some , those still able, are in Motorcycle Clubs . Just happy happy campers..from what i could tell ..
One Old timer even said " My own family would not care for me like this " .. kind of stuck with me ...
When people who LIVE in Hawaii which is already a Paradise , are thinking of retiring in a spot, you know it must be good .

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
for me - Hawaii is too remote.... middle of nowhere

Is the Far East really that different than here ??
If so - please explain

my own family....they said
It's a different life if you marry in or really buy into it.....

Otherwise - not that different...
Don't take on a woman 50 yrs younger.... etc

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I dunno.

The place doesn't matter as much as the attitude about your life.

I do enjoy the benign chaos of the DR. Never a dull moment.

Having a Dominican spouse from a good family also helps.

Like others, I could live anywhere I wanted. The DR is just "foreign" enough, yet just "familiar" enough to balance both.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
To me number one problem with DR is crime, also violent crime. Unless you live in your little bubble and never get out you are exposed to this. All the other stuff can be dealt with but this one is hard to avoid. And no, you don't need to live in BC and hang out with drug dealers and hookers to be exposed to this....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Crime is ubiquitous... all countries

When I hear Columbia... drugs jump into my head... rightly or wrongly

For the most part ours is petty crime unless you are unaware and out of line

Read the posts above about adapting

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
Like others, I could live anywhere I wanted. The DR is just "foreign" enough, yet just "familiar" enough to balance both.
The other factor, for us North Americans, is living in the DR allows for a fairly quick flight to the north if necessary. It remains much easier to take an emergency trip from Santo Domingo to NYC than from Southeast Asia to NYC, that is four hours versus sixteen or more. Additionally, the time zone difference represents a very good factor for me. Once, while visiting Asia, I had to do business with my local U.S. municipality. It was a challenge being 12 hours ahead of them, even when I explained that I would call at a particular time to account for the time zone difference.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
I love to fly out in the morning and be able to fly back and be in the DR the same day.