*** World Cup - Football - Venues - Chit Chat ***

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Algeria is two spots higher in the FIFA rankings than Slovenia.

They played an excellent game against England.

For the USA, they have to win to get to the final 16...it will be a very hard fought match.

I root for the USA in this one, but may the better team win.

This World Cup has produced some great goals, great games, and only one really bad job of reffing.

However, that is past, and the game with Algeria is super important.

HB

dalila05

Bronze
Aug 9, 2008
republicadominicana.bbactif.com
Algeria is two spots higher in the FIFA rankings than Slovenia.

They played an excellent game against England.

For the USA, they have to win to get to the final 16...it will be a very hard fought match.

I root for the USA in this one, but may the better team win.

This World Cup has produced some great goals, great games, and only one really bad job of reffing.

However, that is past, and the game with Algeria is super important.

HB

cant wait to see it!! :)
and as you say may the better team win.
as algeria is already a winner in my heart!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The USA does not have to win this game to get to the next round. There are a lot of possibilities with two games each remaining and two out of the four teams getting to the next round.

Reactions: MikeFisher

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I remember being censored on this thread because I posted some t.i.c remarks , lets keep the thread about venues wrote the mod ? consistent ?
that's something the Mod decides and he does not need to ask for an opinion.
after the original subject Robert changed the subject which allows us to chit chat realted to the Cup, here.
and i name that the right sensibility of a Mod/Boss.

hey,
that Cameroon played a very nice to watch game this afternoon,
i watched it at Steve's Coner Bar inBavaro with some nice 'eye candies' around, too.
they sorrily could not manage to adjust their offender's GPS for the exact coordinates of the opponents goal.

my always fav is the Brazilians,
of course unless they play my german hometeam, lol.

the Netherlands have 6 points and 3:0 goals, but in my opinion they playe very weak in both games and advanced just lucky, while some others did with all their heart and still have to fight to make the next round.

South Corea is in my opinion a not awaited very strong and constant playing game,
yes, they play with all their heart and like their life depends on a win.
great to watch.
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
The USA does not have to win this game to get to the next round. There are a lot of possibilities with two games each remaining and two out of the four teams getting to the next round.
noap,
they have just one game left.
4 teams per group, so each plays one game against each group buddy,
3 games total per team in the group round.

akso my Germans should better win against Ghana in the last game to make sure they advance,
i don't expect to see anything easy,
it's the last chance and both opponents know that.

Mexico Uruguay hopefully will not get the expected lame ball kicking and don't hurt me, the situation is that in case of a draw both will advance for sure and the other 2 are packing their luggage to fly home to Mom.

Africaida,
i was cheering Cameroon this afternoon,
and i've not been the only one at the Bar.
there been canadians, germans Slowaks, Kroatians, Haitians and of course dominicans(would've been nothing without the Candie, lol),
they played well up towards the front but near the box they sorrily just been @$^#$^.
but a great game to watch.
some european teams can not even come close to that entertainment level sportswise til now.
Mike

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
Quite right. If USA and England both draw then the USA would progress unless the England game is a higher-scoring draw. Even then USA could go through after drawing lots.

Also if Slovenia beat England and the US draw then the US would progress.

So a draw gives the US three chances of getting through. A win would make it certain, which is perhaps what Mike meant.

Obviously a defeat for either the US or England would put them out.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Africaida,
i was cheering Cameroon this afternoon,
and i've not been the only one at the Bar.
there been canadians, germans Slowaks, Kroatians, Haitians and of course dominicans(would've been nothing without the Candie, lol),
they played well up towards the front but near the box they sorrily just been @$^#$^.
but a great game to watch.

Agree with you, nice game, but frustrating.

Your beloved team, Brazil, playing against Ivory coast.
2-0 for Brazil as of now :(

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Brazil wins 3-1. Looking very strong. So far Argentina and Brazil look the best.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Today's play featured some horrible acting. One scene got Italy a penalty they did not deserve. Another got Kak? a red card....It could be appealed. He did not hit the guy...

Windy and rainy in Santiago right now...4:45 pm...

HB

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Those Brazilians still have it!!!

Hey I watch the games on Univision and the excitement of the sportscasters cannot be compared to any others. Goooooooooooooooooolaso

They make the game very exciting.:bunny:

Reactions: Bronxboy

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
the refereeing has been horrible in this World Cup, especially:

giving yellow and red card when people didn't deserve it

calling hand balls when they weren't, and vice versa

not calling pushing, pullling, and tugging during set plays in the penalty box, and actually calling it on the wrong side (e.g. US game), or calling the penalty when it didn't happen (e.g. italy game).

not seeing obvious dives and acted falls

Reactions: MikeFisher
Mar 2, 2008
I agree with everything Conchman stated.

Furthermore, it has to be addressed directly and quickly, or the integrity of the World Cup games will be always in question.

Some of the calls were so outrageous that one might think the officials were accepting propinas.

This issue will cost the games much credibility if not corrected soon.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Bad refereeing comes up at every world cup, this is nothing new.

Remember the English ref last time that gave two yellow cards to the same player :)
This was a premier league ref that had a massive amount of experience.

Until they fourth official has a say or replies, then it will never change.

It's never been the same since Pierluigi Collina retired. :)

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
the refereeing has been horrible in this World Cup, especially:

giving yellow and red card when people didn't deserve it

calling hand balls when they weren't, and vice versa

not calling pushing, pullling, and tugging during set plays in the penalty box, and actually calling it on the wrong side (e.g. US game), or calling the penalty when it didn't happen (e.g. italy game).

not seeing obvious dives and acted falls
I have not seen ONE kick of the ball in this World Cup so can not speak with any personal knowledge about the decisions of the referees. My comments come from reading Live newscasts during the matches (by supposedly knowledgeable commentators) on BBC on-line, the analyses, quotes & comments from soccer 'pundits' & involved players/officials etc. & they ALL speak of the problems refereeing seems to have caused in THIS World Cup!

Can anyone tell me if the referees in question relating to the above mentioned 'bad calls', actually consulted with their linesmen before making the final decision re yellow/red cards, hand balls/penalties etc? Did any of the linesmen actually signal an infringement to the referee that he might not himself have spotted/noticed?

Soccer (like Rugby Union) is supposed to be a 'flowing' game & so I am not in favour of 'trial by television/video replay' as used in American Football. There are more starts & stops in that game so the use of video replays is more acceptable, but CONSULTATION WITH THE LINESMEN is an accepted means of getting an alternative (& sometimes clearer) picture of what really led up to &/or happened at the infringement as seen by the referee. This system generally works well in Rugby Union & allows for the video replay ONLY to be used when looking at 'dead ball' situations like a try which is disputable.

One thing that appears to be common with the successful teams though is that 'pride', 'commitment' & 'TEAM' play seem to be produce better games & more support from the fans. I hope round two sees much more of this form of play rather than the clinical, unemotional play we have seem do far from some of the more 'established/recognised' teams!! ~ Grahame.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
yes,
Brazil is as strong as awaited, like usual on a Cup they do just whats needed, and that they do very well. the red card against Kaka been a joke.
the same for the penalty for Italy, a completely joke.
Italy and France are 2 top teams who play both very disapppointing.
I do not see Argentine as strong as some others do,
they have a great attacking force, but their defense line looks often very disorganized, i say a strong attacking line like Brazil or Portugal would kick 'em hard.
South Corea is an unexpected underdog which will show a great last game against Nigeria, they will make it.
watching what the Swiss Team show's now against Chile.
Mike