Worst of the Worst

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Ditto on this... a lock ultimately won't stop a thief, but might make him choose another target..

Same principle that applies to home-alarms
Egg Zactly.

Thieves take the path of least resistance, except with Miradors car.;)

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
My criminology experience has convinced me that the successful professional thief is highly intelligent, actually, very much more than the average Joe. They tend to do their homework thoroughly, pick out their potential victims with extreme care, and most importantly, go to great lengths in order to reduce the risk of getting caught. Knowing these principles, it becomes necessary to implement camouflage and mimicry tecniques, to throw off potential thieves away from your belongings. Use your imagination!

For example, I never close my car doors, the bolts are visibly open through the windows. And my car is the only one that hasn't been broken into in the parking lot. My neighbors are stumped. Why? Maybe because on inspecting my unlocked car, an intelligent thief would probably surmise I have set a trap for him. By the way, there's absolutely no protection against the dumb thieves, the ones that keep landing in jail, and even less against those high on drugs....

I actually agree with you. A lock will not deter a professional thief.

However, I believe the circumstances in an airport luggage handling area are a bit different. There you have rows of luggage passing through your hands coming from and goin to destinations. Here you have a crime of opportunity, there is no room to study, check etc as each bag is in your possesion only a short time.. so thieves would depend on opening as many bags as possible in a short time to maximise their chances of finding something valuable.. under those circumstances a lock would make them loose time that could be used for opening and searching three or four other bags and possibly yielding more loot..

Futhermore, a brocken lock would be signal that something was up and means a possibility of being found out..

So I believe that one must take those measures that fit the circumstances, up till now I've had no troubles with thievery from my luggage yet..

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
I still say one of the big problems is having to get to the airport 2-3 hours ahead of time. This gives people a large window of oppurtinuty to do what they want. Like I stated before just as easy as something can be taken out something can be put in. The problems lies in that there is no checks and balance system and accounting for responsibilty. Neither the airlines,tsa,airport authority no one.

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
Another point

We as passangers have to go through security checks, and have our bags searched I am sure that airport workers have to do the same. So lets see here worker "A" comes to work clears security with no breathing maching.
( Let me also point out that this maching weighs about 6 pounds about about the size of a microwave so he just didn't put it in his pocket and walk away. ) Now punches out and when he clears security to go home hey guess what I found in the garbage can a 3,000 dollar breathing maching I guess the gringo didn't want it any more can I keep it.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I still say one of the big problems is having to get to the airport 2-3 hours ahead of time. This gives people a large window of oppurtinuty to do what they want. Like I stated before just as easy as something can be taken out something can be put in. The problems lies in that there is no checks and balance system and accounting for responsibilty. Neither the airlines,tsa,airport authority no one.
Rob-you have to get to the airport early, but it doesn't mean you have to check in early. Get there early, check the lay of the land, the schedule, see if your flight is on time, etc. Check you bag right before heading to the gate. Don't cut it close, but don't allow your bag to just lay around in the baggage area for a couple of hours.

Use TSA locks. They just tilt the odds in your favor.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Do you think TSA locks are pick proof or others don't have the keys or combos to them?
No. But they are a deterrant. You're making a thief move on to an easier target. That's all.

No system is, has been, or will be perfect. The ONLY 100% foolproof way to prevent your baggage from being stolen is to have no checked baggage. That is impracticle, so the best you can do, as mentioned above, is deter them.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Ever heard of the game 'Why don't you?' to which response is 'Yes, but..........'

You can offer all the sane & logical advice, cobraboy, but if people are determined not to hear you, then they won't hear you.

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
Understand

I understand everything that is posted and all is appreciated but, many of thoughts go unanswered. For example: they come to work with nothing how can they leave with valuable items that do not belong do them ? Forget about the D.R. I am talking about world wide airport security. It is just as easy to take something out of a bag as it is to put something in probably easier LIKE A BOMB THAT WOULD BLOW UP A PLANE.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I understand everything that is posted and all is appreciated but, many of thoughts go unanswered. For example: they come to work with nothing how can they leave with valuable items that do not belong do them ? Forget about the D.R. I am talking about world wide airport security. It is just as easy to take something out of a bag as it is to put something in probably easier LIKE A BOMB THAT WOULD BLOW UP A PLANE.
This reminds me of an interesting sight @ SDQ last trip. I was watching the bag guys begin to load my plane from the gate window. A guy with a uniform and gun (aviation security, I think) came over and all the ramp waokres came over, lined up, turned around, and all got frisked. Then prior to depature, as I observed from my window seat, the same thing happened again.

I got the impression that was routine.

Perhaps tflea, who is very much involved in airport operations in the DR, can shed some light(to the extent he can) about the behind-the-scene security components.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Nahh

CESA is in charge of security at all the airports, along with the TSA assisting them, airport administrators and US carriers. Mix in the local enforcement agencies of all designations and the recipe is what you see cooking.
Other than that I don't recall.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
why not just not have valuable items in your checked luggage? The only items of any value I ever bring with me are in my carry on bag or on me (camera, phone,laptop,money, etc) all on my person and in view by me.

The best they will get from me is some shampoo, deodorant, or a pair of flip flops.

vegasdiva

Dec 2, 2006
Good travelling advice - for anywhere

I agree with suggestions made here: use locks, don't put valuables in checked luggage, better - don't check luggage - travel light, if you have to pack it, then camoflage it by wrapping items in other clothes.

I didn't know about the ability to bring perfume on board. I thought anything flammable was off-limits, checked or carried on.

Also, I agree that theft happens everywhere. I often wonder about "lost" luggage. I had a bag between California and Colorado and Texas get "lost" once and it was never found. The most valuable items (to me) were a "journal" of my travels that month and a hand-made sweatshirt. Granted, there was jewelry, nice clothes/shoes, items purchased on the trips as gifts and mementos, too. The lesson I learned: Don't ck. it if you can't afford to lose it. (He he he . . . almost sounds like gambling advice, sorry). Now, I carry all important paperwork / writing with me - along with meds, passport, phone, $, etc. And I haven't had anything taken since, knock on wood.

Thanks for the good packing/travelling advice on this thread!

vegasdiva

Dec 2, 2006
a shout out to Delta Air at PUJ

I wanted to share a positive "DR airport experience." In Feb. this year, I made a very quick trip from Las Vegas to PUJ, spent as much time in planes and airports as I did on the ground there. I used my debit card to pay some bills while I was waiting for a plane change in Atlanta. when I reached my destination and started unpacking, I realized I no longer had my wallet (contained Driver's License, ATM/debit card, 2 credit cards, about $40US cash, and lots of business cards - my own and others given to me, and a picture of me and my novio.) I carried traveller's checks and more cash in a separate bag, so I was able to pay the taxi, and hadn't noticed yet the missing wallet.

The phone lines were not functioning that afternoon, so I had to wait until the following morning to call the airlines. I was transferred to the PUJ airport and ended up leaving a message. Later that afternoon, a man from the Delta Office at PUJ returned my call. Explaining my situation, he asked me to describe the wallet and identify unique contents. They had it! It must've fallen out of my carry-on on the plane, and I didn't notice (I've learned another valuable lesson). When I went back through the airport the following day to return to LAS, the desk agents brought my wallet to me, had me inspect the contents, and sign a form saying everything was fine.

The biggest surprise!! The cash was still there. This I didn't expect.

I simply wanted to give the workers at Delta PUJ a shout out! & let everyone know not everyone in DR airports is a thief, and theft can happen anywhere. I am grateful for these workers. They saved me alot of hassel replacing things, and they didn't have to.

globalmike295

On Vacation
Jul 11, 2006
Do you think TSA locks are pick proof or others don't have the keys or combos to them?

Two scredrivers, in an X configuration, will pop most locks open.

I am a former sailor Capt. and this thread will live for as long as needs be.

You have my full support

Mike

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
Everyone keeps missing my point. If something can be taken out something can be put in.
Plus how do just walk off with a breathing maching the size of a small microwave and weighs 6 pounds?
Who would like to carry this on the plane and walk from gate to gate ?