Worst of the Worst

C

Chip00

The reason my brother does not carry on anything because like most diabetics he is over weight. He weighs 300 lbs. Does not have the stamina to walk long distances let alone with extra weight. Who cares about a camera ? The point is if you don't check your sugar regularly you can DIE. He is also asthmatic and need the respirator to breath at night.

Obviously a camera is not important - what is important is your brother's equipment he needs. I would recommend still that your brother put it in a carry on if possible and ask for assistance. If this means using a wheel chair and have someone from the airport push him around by all means then.

With such an inportant peice of luggage one can't afford to take chances.

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
My Responce

Since the U.S. govt. and the E.U. pump hundreds of millions of dollars into this country why oh why can't or won't they simply clean up their act. It was better 25 years ago. Heck 10 years ago. When something gets stolen it is the police that turn there backs a get the kick back talk about SIDICO. MAFIA, whatever, I still say we need to blog this country tell everyone worldwide. When it hits there pocket they change until then they have us by the short hairs. It is a damn shame we give and give and what to we get in return? My father used to say only your family and friends will screw you because you let those people close. You keep strangers at bay. Well in this type of situation you have no control. The airline knows this happens but, could care less. It is all about there bottom line. BLOG,BLOG,BLOG.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I have no desire to upset Capt. Rob any further than he has most likely been upset/offended already but my view is that perhaps a 300 pound, unfit (can not walk far) & diabetic person should concentrate on holidays in a country where he will be able to get quick & reliable attention for any medical problem he is likely to encounter! This level of "They ought to .........", "If they spent the USA's money pumped into them correctly ......", "They should get their act together because .........", is very reminiscent of the Dominican way of explaining shortfalls ...... it is always someone else's fault - not taking basic decisions for ensuring one's OWN health & safety!!

Come on Cart. Rob, you have got experience of the DR, you KNOW your brother's medical needs & how to prevent this sort of situation arising - suggest to him that he stay in the US & spend a few $$$'s each year going to visit HIM!! - Grahame.

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
It's not about the DR! It's not even about airlines. It's about not letting your valuables out of your sight. The only place I'd expect to be able to leave my valuables safely is a safe deposit box where one is actually paying for the security. Even my 5yr old wanted to carry her Barbie Case on the plane and not 'check it in' because she didn't trust anyone with it!

No airline in any country can guarantee 100% that none of their employees will steal. They can do background checks, they can get references, but at the end of the day an employer cannot pre-empt what an employee is capable of under certain circumstances. If they could, then there would be no murders or robberies or shootings....

Don't get me wrong, I'd be mortified if it happened to me, but I think it has to be classed as one of those 'live and learn' situations....

There is also no guarantee in this situation that the equipment was actually stolen whilst on DR soil, so I think it's a bit difficult to apportion blame....

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Like chip says.........
Capt's excuse is not valid!!! Being overweight., diabetic (losing weight is imperative for diabetic people), asthmatic (losing some weight would help that also) is no excuse for not carrying medically necessary equipment with you.
There are porters in all airports, as well as personalassistance for those who need it.
I had personal assistance one time when travelling not because I needed it personally but because I was travelling with a disabled person (as their assistant) and needed help carrying carry-ons that contained essential medical equipment and medicines. The person I was travelling with did use a wheelchair (which I pushed) however we still needed assistance with the bags. I booked the assistance at the same time I booked the tickets So......
Someone needs to get their act together or quit whining about getting their luggage pilfered! Pilfering luggage is the same as shoplifting at a candy store!

Last edited:

slrguy

Oct 17, 2006
Interesting thread. Lots of viewpoints.

From my perspective, it is true that airports everywhere suffer from thievery. Anecdotally, it is also true that the problem is worse in the DR, relatively speaking. My guess would be this is because the thieves know very well that the police could not care less - and this IS a problem that is not typical in other airports.

While I truly sympathize with his family over this - large, weak guy or no- life-essential equipment would NEVER leave my sight. It baffles me that anyone would check this equipment. There are FAR too many options available.

globalmike295

On Vacation
Jul 11, 2006
Like chip says.........
Capt's excuse is not valid!!! Being overweight., diabetic (losing weight is imperative for diabetic people), asthmatic (losing some weight would help that also) is no excuse for not carrying medically necessary equipment with you.
There are porters in all airports, as well as personalassistance for those who need it.
I had personal assistance one time when travelling not because I needed it personally but because I was travelling with a disabled person (as their assistant) and needed help carrying carry-ons that contained essential medical equipment and medicines. The person I was travelling with did use a wheelchair (which I pushed) however we still needed assistance with the bags. I booked the assistance at the same time I booked the tickets So......
Someone needs to get their act together or quit whining about getting their luggage pilfered! Pilfering luggage is the same as shoplifting at a candy store!

People get robbed every day here so are you saying that is acceptable as well, or is being robbed like going to the circus....I just do not see crime as being acceptable....sorry

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
It's not about the DR! It's not even about airlines. It's about not letting your valuables out of your sight. The only place I'd expect to be able to leave my valuables safely is a safe deposit box where one is actually paying for the security. Even my 5yr old wanted to carry her Barbie Case on the plane and not 'check it in' because she didn't trust anyone with it!

No airline in any country can guarantee 100% that none of their employees will steal. They can do background checks, they can get references, but at the end of the day an employer cannot pre-empt what an employee is capable of under certain circumstances. If they could, then there would be no murders or robberies or shootings....

Don't get me wrong, I'd be mortified if it happened to me, but I think it has to be classed as one of those 'live and learn' situations....

There is also no guarantee in this situation that the equipment was actually stolen whilst on DR soil, so I think it's a bit difficult to apportion blame....
Good post.

CindyB

May 14, 2007
So even if I place a lock on my luggage, there is a good chance things will get stolen? The airline restricts bringing bottles of perfume and other liquids on board, and I have nice expensive clothing, how do ensure these things are not stolen?

C

Chip00

So even if I place a lock on my luggage, there is a good chance things will get stolen? The airline restricts bringing bottles of perfume and other liquids on board, and I have nice expensive clothing, how do ensure these things are not stolen?

It isn't a given that anything will be stolen. I have traveled to and from the Dr at leat 20 times in the last 7 years and I have never had anything stolen.

Perfumes can be hidden inside clothes and the more expensive clothes along with electronics should be taken on in the carry on. Remember a carry on can weigh up to 40 lbs which is usually 10 lbs less than the max for checked in luggage so fill it up. Mine usually weighs 40 lbs and some change and it has wheels so it is easy to travel with.

globalmike295

On Vacation
Jul 11, 2006

You can't .

The only recommendation I could suggest is arrive by private plane or boat where you avoid the usual process.

And you could even bring some caviar

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
It's generally electronics and jewelry that get stolen.

BTW, you can bring bottles of perfume on the plane. (Each container must be 3 ounces or smaller, and all containers must fit in one quart-size zip-top plastic bag).

globalmike295

On Vacation
Jul 11, 2006
It's generally electronics and jewelry that get stolen.

BTW, you can bring bottles of perfume on the plane. (Each container must be 3 ounces or smaller, and all containers must fit in one quart-size zip-top plastic bag).

100% correct, I tend to provide alternatives.....

anneeoakland

Feb 12, 2005

Actually, in my experience, the 3 oz bottles in a ziploc works from US to DR, not SDQ to US.

Anyone have a different experience?

CindyB

May 14, 2007
Actually I have never had anything stolen from my luggage and I have travelled alot. Though that was mostly a few years back and now it seems theft is more common. I read about one person who had his shoes stolen from his suitcase!!
With the newest restrictions about what one can bring on board, I have concerns.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Actually I have never had anything stolen from my luggage and I have travelled alot. Though that was mostly a few years back and now it seems theft is more common. I read about one person who had his shoes stolen from his suitcase!!
With the newest restrictions about what one can bring on board, I have concerns.
I'm guessing you don't put electronics or jewelery in your checked luggage.

globalmike295

On Vacation
Jul 11, 2006
What alternatives?

That's what you have to figure out for your self.

It's that one thing, "Jack Palance " said while on the trail of City Slicker's,
Treasure.

At the end of the day, it's up to you what you want to find out of each and every adventure you seek. !

That's a WRAP

Mike