Worst of the Worst

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Having worked for years in the international cargo transport business I have bad news for all of you. No airport is safe. If you are a thief you would rather work at an airport than flipping burgers, for example. Everybody goes to where their interests are. I can tell you many stories (and the seven gazillion times the Miami airport has been cleared by the feds) but I'll save me the typing.

Although is bad here it is not the only place it could occur. I have never had anything stolen. My husband that flies many times a year due to his work, has been flying here for the better of 11 years, and has flown to the four corners of the globe only had something stolen from his suitcase once: in the Netherlands. Talk about bad luck.

And although this in no way excuse the thieves, I agree that one should always carry the essentials in a carry-on. What if they lose your luggage (which happens much more frequently than pilferage)?

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
Food for thought

If something can be taking out of a suitcase don't you think something could also be put in. So it is not just a matter of stealing it is a matter of security. Now let us say when my brother landed in Tampa there was some type of counterband in his suitcase whom do think would be in jail right now.

cuas

May 29, 2006
After 9/11 I was travelling to DR but had to spent the night in MIA. Early in the morning personnel started checking all the luggages in transit. A man and a woman were making fun of my stuffs. Before I noticed my luggages were being checked they are broke one of locks. I carry food for my picky eater son. I was carrying extra locks so I replaced that one. Then I gave them the combination to the other locks, when it was not working he was saying counting one counting two and here it goes and clip broken and me replacing locks after they checked the suitcases . All the luggages were being checked few travellers were there. And this was Miami.
HOW CAN SOMEONE KNOW FOR SURE WHERE ITEMS WERE STOLEN. During check in worker have more time to go inside your stuff. Don't you have to check in 2 or 3 hours before boarding? and all suitcase is checked.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
While you may not be able to stop thieves, you can slow them down.

Don't carry valuables in your checked luggage. If you have to, bury them deep in the bag, wrapped in clothes. Thieves don't have much time and may not want to dig deep.

Use good TSA locks, and put them on EVERY zipper and clasp, even it it is empty. Thieves look for easy targets; don't be one.

Try not to check in too early. A bag sitting around is more likely to be broken in to than one in transit, having to get someplece soon.

I've had bags "lost" for a couple of days (actually, never made the Spirit FLL-SDQ flight because it was overloaded; they had to wait 2 days for a flight that was underweight enough to get it down). I had a bottle of ron break in a bag, and TSA took a peek inside, left a note (I use TSA locks). But I've never been broken in to.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
If something can be taking out of a suitcase don't you think something could also be put in. So it is not just a matter of stealing it is a matter of security. Now let us say when my brother landed in Tampa there was some type of counterband in his suitcase whom do think would be in jail right now.
Now THERE's an interesting change of direction for this thread - airport baggage checkers et all taking contraband stuff INTO work just to pass it off on some unsuspecting traveller!! Why on EARTH would someone GIVE contraband away???

As this thread started as the DR being 'The worst of the worst' (I presume it was another of your slights against the DR from the way it was phrased) please remember Capt. Rob that Dominicans NEVER give stuff away - they always sell it or do some form of profitable exchange. :pirate: :pirate: ;) ~ Grahame.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Now THERE's an interesting change of direction for this thread - airport baggage checkers et all taking contraband stuff INTO work just to pass it off on some unsuspecting traveller!! Why on EARTH would someone GIVE contraband away??? ....

Actually, drug trafficking criminal associations incorporate airport baggage checkers and other airport personnel in their organizations. For example, DR jails are full of "unsuspecting travellers" who claim that the drugs discovered in their luggage wasn't theres. Also, police logs are full of reports of people who have been pulled off the road on their way from the airport, and their luggage "stolen", or once arriving at their home, held up at gun point for their luggage....

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
Wow

Finally someone who understands what I have trying to say I do not disrespect the DR it is just a lot of people live behing ROSE COLORED GLASSES.

Haleyscat

May 22, 2007
Finally someone who understands what I have trying to say I do not disrespect the DR it is just a lot of people live behing ROSE COLORED GLASSES.

I was told that we could not use locks on our bagage because it is an international flight... Is this true?

Flying Boston to PR to DR

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Actually, drug trafficking criminal associations incorporate airport baggage checkers and other airport personnel in their organizations. For example, DR jails are full of "unsuspecting travellers" who claim that the drugs discovered in their luggage wasn't theres. Also, police logs are full of reports of people who have been pulled off the road on their way from the airport, and their luggage "stolen", or once arriving at their home, held up at gun point for their luggage....

;) Nice one Mirador. I especially liked the "Police Logs" comment!! Now these holdup's outside peoples homes when they return from travelling, would those be OUTSIDE of the DR i.e. Europe, Canada or Europe?? Maybe some have been documented in Columbia? :ermm: ~ Grahame.:bunny:

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I was told that we could not use locks on our bagage because it is an international flight... Is this true?

You can use TSA approved locks. They should be available in luggage shops or departments.

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
Locks

Locks to me are stupid they are only ment to keep honest people honest. Look if all guns were banned than only criminals would have guns.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
back in 1976 going in and out of venezuela it was necessary to split up pairs of shoes into different suitcases to avoid theft................

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Locks to me are stupid they are only ment to keep honest people honest. Look if all guns were banned than only criminals would have guns. (Emphasis mine)
Non sequitur much?

Thiefs are humans. Humans as a matter of principle follow the Law of Least Effort. Given two bags, one with a lock, one without, which would a thief choose?

An honest person we know would choose none.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Non sequitur much?

Thiefs are humans. Humans as a matter of principle follow the Law of Least Effort. Given two bags, one with a lock, one without, which would a thief choose?

An honest person we know would choose none.

Ditto on this... a lock ultimately won't stop a thief, but might make him choose another target..

Same principle that applies to home-alarms

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Ditto on this... a lock ultimately won't stop a thief, but might make him choose another target..

Same principle that applies to home-alarms

My criminology experience has convinced me that the successful professional thief is highly intelligent, actually, very much more than the average Joe. They tend to do their homework thoroughly, pick out their potential victims with extreme care, and most importantly, go to great lengths in order to reduce the risk of getting caught. Knowing these principles, it becomes necessary to implement camouflage and mimicry tecniques, to throw off potential thieves away from your belongings. Use your imagination!

For example, I never close my car doors, the bolts are visibly open through the windows. And my car is the only one that hasn't been broken into in the parking lot. My neighbors are stumped. Why? Maybe because on inspecting my unlocked car, an intelligent thief would probably surmise I have set a trap for him. By the way, there's absolutely no protection against the dumb thieves, the ones that keep landing in jail, and even less against those high on drugs....

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004

Baloney, I use them (TSA locks) all the time. They opened a bag once, and then re-locked it (I'm sure they were curious; they smelled the rum from a broken bottle).

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
That's not what I said......

People get robbed every day here so are you saying that is acceptable as well, or is being robbed like going to the circus....I just do not see crime as being acceptable....sorry

Crime is never acceptable!
That said crime happens everywhere and it is up to us individually to minimize the probability of being a victim of crime.
I've been travelling to the DR for almost 18 years and in that time have had items stolen from luggage 3x and been mugged once.

Never happened to me anywhere else but I'm not blaming the DR solely for it happening there. It could have happened anywhere under the same circumstance.

So my original statement, that Capt'ns brothers 'excuse' for not carrying his equipment in a carryon is not valid, stands!

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
For example, I never close my car doors, the bolts are visibly open through the windows. And my car is the only one that hasn't been broken into in the parking lot. My neighbors are stumped. Why? Maybe because on inspecting my unlocked car, an intelligent thief would probably surmise I have set a trap for him. By the way, there's absolutely no protection against the dumb thieves, the ones that keep landing in jail, and even less against those high on drugs....
Maybe they figure someone too dumb to lock their car door is too dumb to own anything of value.

(Public Service Announcement: ) Children, do not try the "unlocked car in the parking lot where every car gets broken into" trick at home with anything of value inside. Leave it for the professionals.

:rolleyes: