Worst of the Worst

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I simply wanted to give the workers at Delta PUJ a shout out! & let everyone know not everyone in DR airports is a thief, and theft can happen anywhere. I am grateful for these workers. They saved me alot of hassel replacing things, and they didn't have to.
Same to Spirit. They were three days late delivering a bag that had Christmas presents in it, including a few things very desirable. Finally had it delivered to Hotel Platino, and all was intact. You'd think that for three days numerous folks would have access to it unobserved.

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
Locks to me are stupid...

Does your brother subscribe to this train of thought? Was his luggage locked or unlocked?

I use locks for two reasons. One, in the hope that an opportunistic thief will go for the unlocked case before they go for mine and secondly, because the first thing I do when I pick up my case from the carousel, is to check that the lock is still intact. If the lock is missing or broken, I'm going straight to security then check if something is missing. It's an easy visual clue that someone has interfered with my luggage. Your brother was home before he realised he'd been robbed!

True story. A few years ago my friend picked a suitcase off a carousel and went home. Only once he got home did he realise that his key didn't open it. He called the ferry port and they said that a lady had his (almost identical) case and had reported hers missing, so he drove back to exchange them. Only after he'd handed it over did they tell him she had thousands of pounds worth of jewellery in her bag! So even if you don't get a petty thief, you might simply get someone accidentally taking your bag. I've also wondered in the past, how many of the bags airlines 'lose' are actually picked up deliberately. If someone checks in one bag but takes two at the other end, how many people would notice them doing it? By the time the victim realises they are case-less, the thief has gone.

All my valuables are in my hand luggage. If your brother is insulin dependent diabetic he's crazy to let his meds and glucomitor out of his sight. If he placed all his potentially life saving equipment in an unlocked suitcase... well, some people may as well walk around with 'victim' tattooed on their heads.

As for your final point about getting something 'out' would mean they could get something 'in' "like a bomb". I think it is much easier to slip someone a few dollars to 'look away' as someone leaves with a large parcel than it is to get them to look away as they arrive with it!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Any chance that the 'thieves' did NOT walk away with it?? Could it not be in the staff Canteen where they are still trying to figure out how to "microwave" stuff in it?? ~ Grahame.

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
Point Taken

Yes, my brother takes insulin tablets but, it was only a four hour flight to Tampa and in his car he has another meter as well as at home and, here in my home in the D.R. My biggest point is everyone defends the poor Dominicans maybe if they worked more and stole less there would be more people willing to invest in this country. Yo can't even fire these people without paying them off. Who in the hell would want to own a business here?

globalmike295

On Vacation
Jul 11, 2006
Yes, my brother takes insulin tablets but, it was only a four hour flight to Tampa and in his car he has another meter as well as at home and, here in my home in the D.R. My biggest point is everyone defends the poor Dominicans maybe if they worked more and stole less there would be more people willing to invest in this country. Yo can't even fire these people without paying them off. Who in the hell would want to own a business here?

I owned a business here , for 1 month and was happy to eat the $10k loss.

The employees actually want to get fired after 1 year for their "big Bonus"

I will never, ever own a business here again........I now have 10 people working for me in the U.S from there home and have since recouped my loss

Capt, I do not know why these people are trying to beat you up.

Perhaps because your brother is overweight, yet a number of Obese women come here because they can't get No SANKIEFACTION

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Everyone keeps missing my point. If something can be taken out something can be put in.
Plus how do just walk off with a breathing maching the size of a small microwave and weighs 6 pounds?
Who would like to carry this on the plane and walk from gate to gate ?

Everything is money...

Pay a few bucks to look away

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Yes, my brother takes insulin tablets but, it was only a four hour flight to Tampa and in his car he has another meter as well as at home and, here in my home in the D.R. My biggest point is everyone defends the poor Dominicans maybe if they worked more and stole less there would be more people willing to invest in this country. Yo can't even fire these people without paying them off. Who in the hell would want to own a business here? (emphasis mine)
Who is "everyone"?

What a lot of people are telling you is that a) it does not only happen in the DR. and b), it was foolish of your brother to risk losing his medical equipment, which is more likely to happen by just losing your entire suitcase.

I would like to see some proof that "everyone" is defending Dominicans (because all Dominicans stole your brother's equipment, ya know).

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
Point is when you report this you are already back home. And Sprit airlins has a 4 hour window to report the theft. His flight was to Ft. Lauderdale than on to Tampa. Then he drove 4 hours home it wasn't till he went to bed at 2 am he discovered the loss.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Yes locks will not positively hinder a thief... but it will delay him.
On the other side it may also tell him that something worth while protecting may be inside.
I still prefer to use locks for one big reason:
When I take my luggage off the carousel I first inspect all locks. If they are broken or missing I will first inspect right there all my luggage, to first make sure I have not been planted something I would not want to customs to find. I never had this happen to me and I am not sure what I would do, but I think it would depend on the country. I would either distance myself from my luggage after removing all tags or call the police.
If I only find that goods have been removed I would then call the police and airline reps on site.
I try not to have anything of commercial value in my checked luggage.

In other words, a broken or missing lock is a good indicator that there may be a problem.

... J-D.