Does anyone feel the same way??????

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
you are right HB! Most of my friends from Middlebury understand about culture shock... they are either not American or have travelled extensively. It?s my parents and family that don?t understand my relationship with the DR or other countries I have visited.

I also agree about the American (possibly Canadian too?)attitudes about languages and travelling. People can?t believe I know Spanish as well as Italian and that I study them both at the same time. But here in Europe kids start out with languages much much earlier, which makes it easier, and they also take 3 and 4 at a time! Most take 2 in school, and then some take extra classes on the side to learn others. It is the norm, and I love it because everyone is much more open and accustomed to other cultures, since learning the language opens that door.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Hey HB.....

Keep your comments limited to the US please........did you know they only study American Geography!!
I detest what has been happening in Canadian schools on that subject. Seems like It's "optional" now in high school!!
When I went we studied WORLD geography and people still ask me where this or that is!!
I think Canadians as a whole value the experience of other cultures and languages. Our "Local" university has courses in Italian, Spanish,and German!!
I've found Americans to be much more narrow minded due to their exposure only to "American" culture and news. Our local radio station does a gig once a year where they call up a "tourist" bureau close to the Canadian/American border and ask the clerk questions pertaining to areas within 50 miles of the border. It's hilarious to hear their responses.........!!!!!! It's like NEVER,NEVER, land once you cross the border. They really don't have a clue!!!
My kids suffered cultural shock the first time they were here. They had travelled extensively in Canada,the US and Italy but it was the first time they had been to a "third" world country.
They both love to come and visit when we are here!!! Their only complaint is when they are too busy with work to be able to take the time off to come.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Hey DRTechie....

We go quite often to visit my hubby's family in Amsterdam,Gloversville NY. I need to know where in Albany you found the "little bit " of DR!!!?

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
MommC - The name of the restaurant is "El Coche" and it's owned by a Dominican family. It's really cheap too...all you can eat for $9. It's located in downtown Albany, a couple of blocks away from Empire State Plaza. I don't have the exact address on me right now but as soon as I find out I will send it to you.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Great!!!

We hope to go down this summer and maybe I can convince everyone for a night out Dominican Style!!!

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
Everybody's Depressed

If everyone feels so bad when they come back from the DR or other places, how come they dont stay. Unfortunately, economics wins each time.

You can enjoy your stay as much as you like, but when you have to live there and confornt what the average person has to put up with everyday, you too will not want to stay.

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
Fred......

I disagree! The only reason I didn't stay for long, long is because I want to finish all of my schooling first, then i will make that choice. The time that I stayed there I did put up with the average person did everyday(pumping water from the well, hand washing clothes, finding food with no money, etc) and I still want to live there! It doesn't hurt to have a little bit from both worlds for back up though.

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
Economics

Isnt schooling an economic choice? I you have plenty of money to stay there okay, great I would too. However, try living working and putting up with what the average Dominican does daily. I dont think you would stay long.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
...try living working and putting up with what the average Dominican does daily...

She was pumping water from the well, hand washing clothes, and finding food with no money. What mysterious things are you referring to?

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
Mysterious Things

Try getting a telephone, or cable, or having a problem with the bill.

I dont know of one Dominican that does not have to leave a member of the family in the house when they make a trip to the capital to make sure that things are still there when the get home.

How about, a wedding I went to all the bride's(Dominican) family was invited. During the excitement her wedding ring fell off and someone from her own family stole the ring!

How about garbage and packs of dogs on the streets. What will happen when you get sick.

How about opening up the "Grifo" and no water comes out. And the water that does makes your skin ichy after you take a shower.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
And your point is?

If Meredith lived on a batey, I'm sure she could handle the severe, severe disappointment of turning on the tap and not having any water.

When you've lived in the DR you toughen up to *little* things like those.

Meredith

Jan 24, 2002
First of all, I read economics and presumed that you were talking about having enough money to live in the D.R. That I do not have at the current moment, as I am in school and have government loans that I need to pay off first. Before, I would move to the D.R, I would work to make sure that I have enough money for a few months, until I do find a job in the D.R. All of the things that you mentioned trying to get a phone, pay a bill, the stealing, I guess, you put it is all part of the lifestyle and that would be my choice to live that way. As for getting sick, I would get a shot in the bum like everyone else! and the water...... you had running water? i've been through a lot when I stayed there, I didn't sleep with mosquito nets, didn't have any, my face was covered in bites, so you couldn't see it, that's part of the life. I am not disagreeing with you that a Dominican's life is very hard and full of continous struggles. I understand that and I know that I can live in such an environment. Why are you trying to discourage people from living in the D.R?

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
Not trying to discourage

I am not trying to discourage anyone. Just like you to know what you are up against

Meredith

Jan 24, 2002
Thanks I know! Are you from the D.R or where does your connection come from?

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Finally have my computer again!
Anyhow...I fealt the same way. Everytime I came here to visit and returned home to Pennsylvania it was terrible. I missed it here so much. People didn't understand and when I tried to talk spanish they reminded me that I was in America. So when I couldn't take it anymore I sold all I owned in USA and came here to live...almost 5 months now. I love it here. But it is not easy. The phones, the water, the electricity, the dirt and poverty all is pretty bad. But I hope to never have to leave. I just need to figure out a way to get an income or soon me and my dog will be living in the streets. But I think I'd ratner live on the streets here than live back in USA.

eric

Feb 13, 2002
Living on the streets?

Jan, PA couldn't be that bad,could it?I mean that you say you would rather be homeless in DR.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
PA is good but here is better. Everytime I went home I longed for this place and now that I'm here its a real challenge and I'm not going to let my dream end badly. I am going to make it work here somehow. If I went back I don't think I could live there happily with this country in my heart.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
You have my support, friend!

When I move down there, if it doesn't work out for either of us, I'll keep you company under the first bridge we find!

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
sorry to be late in posting this, but i just noticed jane's message,

trina, you should check with your doctor, but under no circumstances should sunscreen be applied to a child under 6 months of age.