Does anyone feel the same way??????

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Oh - I meant that I would have to be a Sunscreen Nazi...I'm sure Trina knows not to apply sunscreen to her little one. Good eye, mobrouser.

Last edited:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I'm leaving........

in a couple of weeks.......neither my huby or I want to leave yet however having come from Canada we have obligations there that we need to attend to.
Normally we stay here 4-5 1/2 months each year until we get "called" to return home. Unfortunately we can't say NO we're staying. We wish sometimes we could (and one day will stay!)
Since we do live here a good part of the year, we do "deal" with all the things Fred speaks of......having money makes no difference. We are still trying to get our bill with the power company straightened out. By the looks of things it won't happen while we're here and will only be more difficult to deal with when we get back in Oct/Nov. especially since it is likely our service will be "en corte". when we get back!!!
We come back every year not knowing if we'll have water, or power,or phone (I don't bother with cable-don't even have a TV-don't need one here there's so much to do and see!!).
We also don't know if the nevera or estufa or lava-ropa will be working or how much paint will have fallen off the ceiling to make a mess of beds and dressers etc.
Stray dogs are a pain (but my neighbours dog in Canada drives me crazy barking all day and night....at least here they bark mainly only at night) and the garbage situation is a lot better than it used to be......at least we don't have an 8 ft. mountain of garbage outside the wall of the building like used to be 12 yrs ago!
If you want an easy life -stay where you came from. If you love the DR for it's people, climate,and way of living then you'll do like all of us who are here and learn to live with the "difficulties" you encounter and make the best of it!!
Viva La Republica Dominicana!

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
Reality

MommC you are right! However, you have the option of returing home, most Dominicans are like on Gilligan's Island, they cannot go anywhere.

Plus, living in Canada, how come you dont stay longer than 4-5 months, probably because you know your medical benefits would be in jeopardy?

I am all for everyone who wants to live in the DR. But eventually, unless you are like TW reality will come knocking on your door.

All of these comments are from people who have the option of leaving if things really get so bad. Lets here from Dominicans and what they have to say.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
For Fred

REad the post.... I said we would stay if we could however we "MUST" return to Canada and it has NOTHING to do with medical benefits (would you prefer we abandon our kids and employees - hubby is a KEY person in our business-so the employees can "carry" the winter but he MUST be there in the summer months or they would not have jobs!!!) This year we are only here 3 months because of our "obligations".
I can afford to pay for my medical coverge both at home and here in the DR........(like last year I contracted dengue here and almost died......did I go "Home"? -even tho' I paid for insurance to take me home in a medical emergency....NO!! I stayed here, was treated here,and paid my bill......) :D
I don't stay here because I have to....you got that part right! I stay because I WANT to.......and I deal with everyday life in the DR just like all the folks who HAVE to stay here! Does it wear thin? you bet it does......but I don't "run home" when things get bad.......

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
Wow, sometimes I read these boards and just get scaaaaared. Dengue fever?? How did you contract that??
There?s no water in the faucet, you can?t put sunscreen on babies... Ahhhhhh!!!!!!!

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
Re: For Fred

MommC said:
REad the post.... I said we would stay if we could however we "MUST" return to Canada and it has NOTHING to do with medical benefits (would you prefer we abandon our kids and employees - hubby is a KEY person in our business-so the employees can "carry" the winter but he MUST be there in the summer months or they would not have jobs!!!) This year we are only here 3 months because of our "obligations".
I can afford to pay for my medical coverge both at home and here in the DR........(like last year I contracted dengue here and almost died......did I go "Home"? -even tho' I paid for insurance to take me home in a medical emergency....NO!! I stayed here, was treated here,and paid my bill......) :D
I don't stay here because I have to....you got that part right! I stay because I WANT to.......and I deal with everyday life in the DR just like all the folks who HAVE to stay here! Does it wear thin? you bet it does......but I don't "run home" when things get bad.......

Meredith

Jan 24, 2002
Whoops, that didn't work!

MommC....
I just wanted to say that you rock. You are awesome because you have your priorities straight and follow what your heart says!

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
You missed the point

You have the financial means to prolong your stay in the DR as much as you want. However, you missed the point, for someone to have to live as many Dominicans do, you would not last their long.

Your financial means allows you to live fairly well while in the DR. Try to open a business and see if you can survive there.

Meredith

Jan 24, 2002
Fred....

Again, I must ask you what gives you the authority to tell someone else that they can't survive there? Do you know any one of us and our capabilities personally? What makes you so special? A lot of individuals from other countries do open businesses and can 'survive' there. Again, why won't you tell us where you are from????

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
Still Dont Understand

Meridith, no one is saying that you dont have any special skills, etc. All I am saying is that if you go to live in the DR you should prepare yourself accordingly.

Secondly, I have spoken with many Dominicans in New York, and when I tell them about people wanting to go live in the DR, they ask me, why would anyone want to go live in another country and live worse than they do here?

If you have the financial means, go for it. Just be prepared

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
From what Meredith has said previously, it seems obvious that she is quite familiar with life in the DR and is well prepared.

Is your supercilliousness all based on second-hand knowledge or do you have any personal experience living there?

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
No second hand knowledge here

Vivi ahi, mas que diez anos. Para su informacion!

Meredith

Jan 24, 2002
I'm curious about that too! Please tell us Fred......
And getting back to the topic, do you ever miss it? From looking at your posts it doesn't seem like you do, but that is again an educated guess.

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
No I dont miss it

What sent me packing was the death of my partner( Electrocuted) and the simultaneous illness and untimely death of my father from emphysema.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
That's too bad. I loved living in the DR (7 years) and all those things that you've been *warning* people about is what makes the DR the DR.

And of the people who you say are "like on Gilligan's island" they have nothing to compare it to, so it may be even easier to tolerate. Nobody bitches about lack of water and electricity better or louder than us spoiled gringos.

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
Sorry for the misunderstanding Jane J.

Dominicans do not have the option of going to the passport office, obtaining a passport, then buying a plane ticket to visit their family in lets say Germany, or the US.

However, Jane J. why dont you become a Dominican then see if you can ever travel anywhere with your Dominican passport? Unless you are of the wealthy upper class Dominican society, the doors are closed for you. If your father is dying or some other tradgedy, you cannot even go and visit them.

Remember Gilligan spend his entire life trying to get off the Island.

You can speak in such a manner because you know if you have any problems you do have an option. The average Dominican does not.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
An "Un-Solicited"defense of "FRED"

At the risk of sounding "Pompus"(A risk I am willing to,and often do, take) Fred makes his point! Don,t "Shoot-The-Messenger"! It takes MONEY to live comfortably in the Dominican Republic,and lots of IT! MommC,Give us a break.Stop crying "Poor"!You have "more" than 99% of the people of the World! I told anyone who would listen,that until you live in the DR,24/7,and most important,365! You don,t live in the DR!...I have no place to go if I leave here! I sold everything!I can,t go to my home in Canada,or Miami,or England! It makes a difference! When there are no lights,no water,no medical treatment,no money,I have to stay here and make it work! I have a Dominican Family to take care of! So please lighten up on Fred.Walk in his shoes,or my size 12s for a while! When there is no "lifeboat" to go home to,it,s "sink-or-swim","Last one into the water is a rotten egg!" Living here is kind of like camping.It is a lot of fun to go camping for two weeks.You live in a tent,you cook over an open fire.maybe you fish,and fry some trout fresh from a stream.No worries about the office for two weeks.Then it rains,gets cold,can,t keep the fire going,you want a hot shower,your back is killing you,you can,t wait to get home to your own bed!Think what it would be like if there was no "Home" to go home to!Only that "Freaking" tent!Criss

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
Thanks Criss

I remember the poor Dominicans lining up in Boca Chica's Western Union office when they had hurricane George. There was a line up for more than 2 miles.

The ones with family abroad recovered quickly, the rest suffered greatly.

Many people did not have water, beans, rice were hard to come by, most did not plan and there was wide spread devastation.

I really felt bad for the people then