DR Considers Outlawing Guns

Sep 4, 2012
http://www.listindiario.com/la-repu...ce-a-rd-entran-furgones-desde-europa-y-ee-uu-

Afirma que el Gobierno est? tomando los controles, pero admite que al pa?s entran muchas armas ilegales, sobre todo en furgones desde los Estados Unidos y Europa, y aclar? que la mayor?a no entra a trav?s de la frontera con Hait?.

Now you stsrt to see the picture -- yet another question to aid the case -- who controls the borders and aduanas?

Legal ownership was not the debate. Carrying has become he debate.

"During the wake, Minister of Interior and Police Jose Ramon Fadul announced that next year he would propose the elimination of carrying of firearms. He suggested that this should be only allowed for people whose profession requires a weapon n security, military or police."

That makes it part of the debate, in fact, the people whom this would affect the most will be legal owners. Criminals flight right over laws, remember that's what makes them criminals to begin with.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
http://www.listindiario.com/la-repu...ce-a-rd-entran-furgones-desde-europa-y-ee-uu-

Afirma que el Gobierno est? tomando los controles, pero admite que al pa?s entran muchas armas ilegales, sobre todo en furgones desde los Estados Unidos y Europa, y aclar? que la mayor?a no entra a trav?s de la frontera con Hait?.

Legal ownership was not the debate. Carrying has become he debate.

The Caribbean and all it's islands used to be places without gun crime a few decades ago. Paradise lost.

Not from what I am reading, even in the posts you provided. Removing the carry privilege is being discussed as the first step. The second step is removing the right to own a weapon. Disarming the population is the real goal. The only thing anti-gun people are going to be careful about is how to accomplish the real goal.

Much has changed in this world over a few decades. The failed drug war is a major reason for much of the change in the DR and the Caribbean. Read it in the news. Day after day, replace this police chief, then do it again. No need to re-write the story, just change the names. Look at what is the real source of the problem.

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Not from what I am reading, even in the posts you provided. Removing the carry privilege is being discussed as the first step. The second step is removing the right to own a weapon. Disarming the population is the real goal. The only thing anti-gun people are going to be careful about is how to accomplish the real goal.

Much has changed in this world over a few decades. The failed drug war is a major reason for much of the change in the DR and the Caribbean. Read it in the news. Day after day, replace this police chief, then do it again. No need to re-write the story, just change the names. Look at what is the real source of the problem.

actually, windy, it was the CIA that is responsible for the gun violence in the caribbean. they are the ones who introduced firearms to political actors, to destabilize political aspirations of leaders who wanted to have a more progressive policy, and to have more collectivist ways of structuring the society and economy. when the elections were over, the shooters had the guns, but no jobs, so they turned to gangsterism and drug cartels, along with strong arm robbery.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
So, from what I gather, the way to solve the violent criminal problem is to arm everyone from 5 to 100. Violent criminals won't dare attack anyone as everyone is armed. Interesting.

If they take away the guns....a Dominican street party just won't be the same.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
i just love the fallacy that is widely held that if there was a guy with a gun in every one of these insane mass shootings, he could have done something to neutralize the gunman, or gunmen.

that is some simplistic shyte right there. police officers are trained to shoot in the academy, and they are normally versed in the protocols of gun use. they are required to renew their training ever so often, to sharpen their skills with their weapons. despite all that, NYC police, for example, miss their targets 78% of the time, and very often those targets are unarmed people who are not shooting back at them. if they can only hit the target less than one out of four times, i hate to think of how much unintentional damage might be done by some guy who went to a gun shop, bought a Glock, and goes to the range when he gets a chance. when confronted by a guy firing bursts from an automatic weapon, our samaritan might shoot more passersby and bystanders than bad guys.

There are numerous news articles that report about armed citizens shooting the bad guy resulting in stopping a crime and/or limiting the damage done by the assailant. I agree, first of all anyone who makes a decision to carry should practice using the weapon and yes there is no way of knowing how a person will respond in an actual confrontation as opposed to being on the range shooting at targets.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
actually, windy, it was the CIA that is responsible for the gun violence in the caribbean. they are the ones who introduced firearms to political actors, to destabilize political aspirations of leaders who wanted to have a more progressive policy, and to have more collectivist ways of structuring the society and economy. when the elections were over, the shooters had the guns, but no jobs, so they turned to gangsterism and drug cartels, along with strong arm robbery.

Informative on how the guns arrived. Now guns play a huge part in the failed drug war. No matter what laws are passed, criminals will keep their guns.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
There are numerous news articles that report about armed citizens shooting the bad guy resulting in stopping a crime and/or limiting the damage done by the assailant. I agree, first of all anyone who makes a decision to carry should practice using the weapon and yes there is no way of knowing how a person will respond in an actual confrontation as opposed to being on the range shooting at targets.

Gary, there are anecdotes of guys shooting the bad guy, and minizing the debacle. however, in most cases, we do not know if the bad guy was breaking into a car, or slinging an uzi. we also do not usually know whether or not the good guy was an experienced shooter, or a guy who just bought a gun. my thinking is that a call to arms will invite all manner of amateurs into the ranks. the gun guys already have guns. i am afraid that Stan from the investment bank is going to heed the callup, and go get himself a Beretta. then , when some lunatics decide to do something rash, our hero will be overcome by the moment, and end up blasting wildly, killing the security guard and a few would be hostages.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Informative on how the guns arrived. Now guns play a huge part in the failed drug war. No matter what laws are passed, criminals will keep their guns.

yes, windy, but if the drug war ends, please tell us how they will be able to maintain a feasible population in private prisons. i mean, you have to be able to throw a bunch of 18 year old kids in jail for a few nickel bags, or the economics of prisons go out the window.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
yes, windy, but if the drug war ends, please tell us how they will be able to maintain a feasible population in private prisons. i mean, you have to be able to throw a bunch of 18 year old kids in jail for a few nickel bags, or the economics of prisons go out the window.

Big Business does indeed want the drug war and the violence it creates. The DR suffers greatly now as a trans-shipment point with a growing number of "users" as drug dealers get paid in part with the drugs they ship and sell them on the streets here to make some money. A large percentage of gun violence is from this business model. That business model will continue to thrive unless and until the drug war is halted.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
good outcome, JD. there is one detail that these stories never divulge, and that is how many shots they fired, and, of those, how many missed. those are the ones i worry about.

I think gorgon that you are grasping to support a theory. Probably because of my strong belief in being able to responsibly own fire arms I always read these types of stories (there is one in the news it seems every other week or so) and I can't recall ever reading one where an innocent bystander was shot by an errant bullet. I am not saying it has never happened but I have not seen it.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I absolutely agree that anyone that makes the decision to purchase a firearm and does not take the time to learn how to use it is foolish. Many years ago my ex wanted me to show her how to use one of my hand guns because my job required me to be on the road a lot. I told her that if she wasn't going to really take the time to learn and practice that instead I would show her how to use the shot gun,,,,,,,,point and shoot, one lesson does it.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I think gorgon that you are grasping to support a theory. Probably because of my strong belief in being able to responsibly own fire arms I always read these types of stories (there is one in the news it seems every other week or so) and I can't recall ever reading one where an innocent bystander was shot by an errant bullet. I am not saying it has never happened but I have not seen it.

you are a gun owner. i have no doubt you are skilled in its use. you also know that the average guy with a pistol cannot hit the side of a barn at more than six feet.

May 5, 2007
you are a gun owner. i have no doubt you are skilled in its use. you also know that the average guy with a pistol cannot hit the side of a barn at more than six feet.

And da** near same with shotgun The idea of "point and shoot' with a shotgun is a fallacy, unless it is heavily modified most shotguns don't "spread out" very far, especially at close range

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009

As usual He is reading from his Anti Gun Talking points... its nauseating already.. of course its not based on any FACTS.. its all about his Feelings.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
As usual He is reading from his Anti Gun Talking points... its nauseating already.. of course its not based on any FACTS.. its all about his Feelings.

as usual, you being a guy who is never burdened and encumbered by intelligent thoughts, substitute your lack of intellectual firepower with straw men and accusations. unlike you, i have better things to do with my time than to occupy them with political talking points. i could care less who has, or does not have a gun. i spend my time wondering if there is some obscure recording by Bessie Smith or Billie Holiday which i have not yet heard.

since you are so highly informed, maybe you can correct my misgivings about the only subject which i have broached today..that of unintentional damage inflicted by well meaning, but ill equipped samaritans. maybe you, the guy with the FACTS, can tell us what is the accuracy rate of casual gun owners in a knock down , drag out firefight.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
And da** near same with shotgun The idea of "point and shoot' with a shotgun is a fallacy, unless it is heavily modified most shotguns don't "spread out" very far, especially at close range

Get a short barrel gun not a duck hunting shot gun. Remove the choke, use high count buck (pellets) and it gives a nice spray. One shot low and the ricochet usually gets your point across. On the other hand 2 warning shots to the head prevents lawsuits.
I prefer the latter but to each their own.

Sep 4, 2012

I wonder what exactly is an average guy with a pistol, care to specify and more so, where are your stats from since you all of the sudden feel so knowleageable about the subject?

This shouldn't be rocket science for the "expert" that you picture yourself to be right?

Awaiting on facts.