ONLY in DR (add yours to list)...

Aug 19, 2004
To quote a previous post ...

"I'm glad to say, going into IKEA nextdoor was as usual, a very pleasant experience."

Surely only in the DR!

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
1) Are there car washes that don't wash cars
2) The sex cabanas are nicer than most hotels
3) You get paid a nice sum for voting PRD
4) Peeing on the side of the road is completely accepted
5) Disgusting, fat, old bald men feel attractive (maybe in Thailand too)
6) Do I, personally, feel like I belong

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009

LOOOL ! On my first trip to the DR, actually my first hours on the island, going from POP to LT, my Taxista suddenly stopped and did just that ! It was more uncomfortable for me than it was for him :eek:

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
Very funny! The bus driver that was taking us to Bahia Principe San Juan did that too. It was our first time on the island and we were quite surprised, especially when a bunch of the men on the bus decided to go too. Then the driver spotted some mangoes up a tree and tried to get them down for us by throwing sticks and things. It turned into a sporting event as some of the folks on the bus apparently thought they could do it better. There was a bunch of them on the side of the road throwing sticks and rocks and whatever they could find at this tree. We had no idea what was going on until the driver came on and explained it to us. All the while we're sitting there thinking 'you don't see this on a bus ride in the US!'

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Both meanings are universal all over the country. Flashing high beams can signal a speed trap or dangerous traffic condition to oncoming drivers and let truckers (and tiny, little people in great big SUV's) know that they've got clearance to change lanes.

But what's up with the car horn language in Santo Domingo?

There's got to be a code for this. Everybody but me seems to understand what it means.

I was in a funeral procession out of Los Sufridos that drove through POP blocking all lanes of traffic and cutting off motorcycles etc... everyone was blowing their horns like mad and the SUV that I was in ended up behind the hurse carrying the dearly departed who was blaring her horn which was a police siren followed by music and sound effects... it was ridiculous:cheeky:

Reactions: Celt202

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Only in the DR...

...are the phrases "porque si" and "porque no" totally acceptable responses to a request or inquiry while at the same time being totally unacceptable if RECEIVED as a response.

In other words, they can say it to you but if you say it to them it's a problem.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
1) Are there car washes that don't wash cars
2) The sex cabanas are nicer than most hotels
3) You get paid a nice sum for voting PRD
5) Disgusting, fat, old bald men feel attractive (maybe in Thailand too)
6) Do I, personally, feel like I belong
Hey, you made a mistake!! you get pay for voting PLD, those are the people who have the money now.

JJ

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
Only in the DR...

...are the phrases "porque si" and "porque no" totally acceptable responses to a request or inquiry while at the same time being totally unacceptable if RECEIVED as a response.

In other words, they can say it to you but if you say it to them it's a problem.

Oppositional behavior is not a Dominican thing.

E

engineerfg

my maid cleans windows with newspaper - first time i'd seen that!

stefanial

Sep 17, 2008
Only in the d.r no matter how in trouble you get and the police stops you and you ask them what do you want..they say dame algo($$$$$)....hahhah
especially in December the police are like wolves stopping you for no reason just give them something to eat or 100 pesos and they leave you alone. hahah the curoption in d.r is like no where else in this world.

~~anna~~

Oct 27, 2003
the ferreteria sells rope by its weight, and not by its length.....

But only if it's mounted on the spindle! Went in Americana and wanted the natural color heavy twine. There were 3 big spools of it, but the clerk would not let me have any (after quoting me the price). He insisted I had to buy off the spindle~~ which was a greenish color.

Sorry ~~ NO SALE!

wyoav211933

Aug 3, 2010
ODR. . . can you say that you are eating the national flag and have it be patriotic.

. . .will screaming "ladron" will get the whole town to stop what they're doing and help you catch your thief.

. . .can you stop stray dogs that are chasing you by pretending to pick up rocks.

. . .is it just as acceptable to adorn your house with flags, posters, and stickers of your favorite political party as it is to do so for your favorite sports team.

. . .where directions are more easily given and received in terms of colmado names instead of street names.

. . .can you play dominoes loudly and nobody will get angry.

. . .do you feel more comfortable with your neighbor fixing your power than the electric company.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
ODR. . . can you say that you are eating the national flag and have it be patriotic.

. . .will screaming "ladron" will get the whole town to stop what they're doing and help you catch your thief.

. . .can you stop stray dogs that are chasing you by pretending to pick up rocks.

. . .is it just as acceptable to adorn your house with flags, posters, and stickers of your favorite political party as it is to do so for your favorite sports team.

. . .where directions are more easily given and received in terms of colmado names instead of street names.

. . .can you play dominoes loudly and nobody will get angry.

. . .do you feel more comfortable with your neighbor fixing your power than the electric company.

Yes, yes, yes kinda, yes, yes and kinda -

Next.

wyoav211933 - things are getting better and not worse.