What would it take to curtail corruption......

leja

Oct 16, 2002
I definitely agree that more and very public social and legal castigation is needed in responding towards corrupt officials. Personally, I?m not a big fan of the whole public execution thing (although I understand some of its potential benefits). But I am all for corrupt officials? crimes being aired publicly (and accurately). Of course it gets tricky when the corruption is so deeply rooted that it?s hard to truly be sure if the person denouncing a ?corrupt? official is not him/herself a corrupt official simply ousting a problematic (and maybe honest) one. So, I think it?s again tied up with free (and safe) press as well as real access to information ? to all sides of the story. Golo, what you mentioned about jails is absolutely infuriating ? and unfortunately goes along with other stories I?ve heard.

MommC, I came across this website and thought you might be interested. It has a list of Dominican NGOs that are fighting against corruption (the site is in Spanish, so be sure to look under R). If any of them look good to you, you might want to consider helping one out financially or by volunteering your time. Just another idea.
http://www.probidad.org/regional/directorios/ongs/index.php3

~Leja

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
If you had a job with opportunity and the foreknowledge that as soon as the next election comes you would lose it, you would be tempted to steal too.

Unless the entire civil infrastuctor gets some stablity from replacement every 4 years this problem will never go away

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Uhhh, Shadley? they have been trying to do that, but of the 375,000 government employees (Now, that is an oxymoron if I ever saw one), less than 15,000 are "civil servents"
it has been thought of, but it has been impossible to act upon. the current Labor Minister, Milton Ray Guevarra, has worked on this for years.

HB