Sosúa Beach Renovations

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I agree, it's not bad for houses. Good in storms. But, it sure is ugly and uninviting.
💯 🎯 I agree Bro.

But once again it is not concrete in and of itself.
It is how they choose to use concrete in the design and development of the project.
Plenty of innovative ways on the market right now to not only make concrete beautiful but not even look like it is concrete.
Of course that takes more money and I believe this project is all about putting the maximum amount of money into the pockets of a few without any attention paid to aesthetics.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
💯 🎯 I agree Bro.

But once again it is not concrete in and of itself.
It is how they choose to use concrete in the design and development of the project.
Plenty of innovative ways on the market right now to not only make concrete beautiful but not even look like it is concrete.
Of course that takes more money and I believe this project is all about putting the maximum amount of money into the pockets of a few without any attention paid to aesthetics.

That is where I was going. Look at the proposed designs...it's like a concrete jungle. I look at Playa Alicia, this is what I see. It's horrible.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I can hear the chainsaws getting busy down near the beach this morning. Been cutting for the last 30 mounts.
From my window with morning coffee in hand I can not tell where they are cutting, and maybe they are only bucking up tree limbs they lopped off the other day when standing in the excavator bucket ?

Sandu

Jan 6, 2018
cant wait to go the new beach with my own drinks, my own food and only rent a chair and umbrella....maybe order a water

• Haha
Reactions: bachata

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
The "renovations" may be completed sooner than most of us
think. Team Luis doesn't seem to drag their feet like the PLD
did when it comes to construction projects.

I doubt most of the current vendors will be moving into
these plazas unless the rents are comparable to what they pay now.
Prices will go up. How high remains to be seen but these same high
prices will probably be a turn-off for most of their core customers
(concrete eyesores wont help either) so I expect to see many of these
booths become vacant 6 months to 1 year after the plaza is inaugurated.
Afterwards it will look/ feel just like any other sterile beach in the
Caribbean.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

I doubt most of the current vendors will be moving into
these plazas unless the rents are comparable to what they pay now.
I doubt just about any of them will move and then hardly any of those will be there for any length of time. The sheer numbers never made sense in the best of times. Ten to twelve vendors in total would probably be sufficient.
Prices will go up. How high remains to be seen but these same high
prices will probably be a turn-off for most of their core customers
(concrete eyesores wont help either) so I expect to see many of these
booths become vacant 6 months to 1 year after the plaza is inaugurated.
Afterwards it will look/ feel just like any other sterile beach in the
Caribbean.
Like which other beaches will it look like?

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I find it amazing that individuals feel like a trip to a public lands should be expensive.
Or that some also feel like it is ok to exploit these lands for private benefit.
But we are all allowed our own opinions.
I am comfortable with that.
Someone once said: "We will know, when it is complete".

habi

Oct 17, 2015
Ok now you got me interested..... :cool:
Did you had any chance to look at the rebuilding of the police station in Sosua? Nothing going on for at least two months now...
And the Cangrejo bridge is really going fast forward.... :rolleyes:
Somebody stated also in an other thread that the construction on the road from Sabaneta to Moca did stoop at all.
So, why exactly you think the project at the beach will go forward faster than most of us think? :unsure:

danely18

Feb 22, 2018
They have cordoned off an area with tin panels across the street from the excavation, just above the beach- I assume they will start on the parking lot and overpass on that side next.
More trees to be sacrificed for an Abinader donor's 'vision'.
Soon you can lay on the beach, breathe in diesel fumes and listen to trucks and excavators a few yards away

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
Just like 99% of the Dominicans who go there.
You must go to a different Sosua beach than I go to. I am on the beach several days a week and I see plenty of Dominicans renting chairs and umbrellas every day. Yes,some bring their own food and drink but most rent chairs and umbrellas and many buy food and drinks. I almost NEVER see ANYONE on Sosua beach sitting on the beach on a towel or blanket,Everyone rents a chair and umbrella.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
You must go to a different Sosua beach than I go to. I am on the beach several days a week and I see plenty of Dominicans renting chairs and umbrellas every day. Yes,some bring their own food and drink but most rent chairs and umbrellas and many buy food and drinks. I almost NEVER see ANYONE on Sosua beach sitting on the beach on a towel or blanket,Everyone rents a chair and umbrella.
Hi Tom, I'll go with your experiences.

It has been a few years since my daily visits, and back then it was usually the tourists who utilized those services.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Go on the weekend - When the Cheapie-Cheapie buses from Santiago come in everyone is carrying their own food and drink and blankets and they crowd in under the trees.
Sure some get beach umbrellas and a chair, but not many.
Maybe mid-week the Dominicans use more.
But when Tio-Tony's and the Pollo-Loco buses pull up - guard your chicken wings and rum because the hoy polloi have arrived en-masse.

And after all it is their country

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
So, why exactly you think the project at the beach will go forward faster than most of us think? :unsure:
You make some good points.
Collado managed to get Duarte y Paris down in the capital done way faster than anyone anticipated. Indeed, Sosua is a different spot. I only do Sosua about once year even tho I live a short drive away in Santiago. Perhaps I've got it all wrong. Time will tell.

Reactions: habi and JD Jones