American Restauranteur Murdered in Las Terranas

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Anyone living here that has or wants a Rolex will not buy it here anyway. Much better prices abroad and just wear it coming in. People that have money are not as stupid as you think..............

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
In three weeks I was in Sosua this year only saw two luxurious cars.
Different when you go to Santiago or Santo Domingo, they are everywhere.
My grandkids only talks about Lamborghini and Maserati etc...

JJ

Britboy

Oct 30, 2021
Samana
Whilst in El Limon earlier this year s heard my watch constantly being referred to as a Rolex. I never said it was and never entered a discussion about it. It was a birthday gift from my mother about 10 years ago that cost about $20.
Anyway I lost it swimming in the local river and was not concerned at all apart from sentimental value. Man there were people of all ages for days searching for it. I did not raise a fuss at all but soon word had spread that the Gringo had lost his Rolex in the swimming hole.
True story.

I

Reactions: danely18

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
The jewelry is partially to blame for sure in most instances. Usually a Novia sees it along with cash and tells her boyfriend or cousin, etc. about it. Then the planning starts. As for killing it might not be planned but happens ............
Most likely.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
As for the victim, the watches were probably a secondary opportunity for the murderous thieves. A stolen Rolex is like a used condom, useless, or else you are trading it for a fraction of its value ........ no way the buyer is leaving the DR with it, any police/custom control in a first world will show the watches as stolen. " no mama, no papa" watches.
As unfortunate as it may be.
Should someone want to wear astolen Rolex thru a customs check and hop on a plane they'd have no problem doing so. Customs isn't checking people's watches upon arrival in the states.

Reactions: cavok and SKY

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
wearing rolex is like put a 🎯 on your back.. big problem is the longer we live here the more relaxed we get and let our guards down....... RIP Mario

Reactions: CristoRey

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
As unfortunate as it may be.
Should someone want to wear astolen Rolex thru a customs check and hop on a plane they'd have no problem doing so. Customs isn't checking people's watches upon arrival in the states.

Well, our experiences differ, as it has happened to in me while suffering a thorough luggage check when entering the US.

I guess its like being a drug mule, its all well most of the time--- until it isn't.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Well, our experiences differ, as it has happened to in me while suffering a thorough luggage check when entering the US.

I guess its like being a drug mule, its all well most of the time--- until it isn't.
Agreed.
Some airports are worse than others.

businessdr

Oct 8, 2011
What Do People Think About Our Beautiful Country We Came Here To Find a Home

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
Prior thread, same subject: