Dominican Fashion, Style, Do's and Do Not's - Whats your opinion??

Status
Not open for further replies.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
no, it was in santiago :)
and exactly my point, the girls were pretty. and young. why smack on a wallpaper of makeup?

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
more attractive in Santiago than in Santo Domingo

i remember my friend who went to a different high school
he came to my school one day and thought the girls in my school were hot
next day i went to his school and thought the girls there were hotter...:)

maybe we were both looking for something else :)

Reactions: greydread

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
normal_16.jpg

]
Esa india, si que esta buenaaa!!!

JJ

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
AZB, the women are definitely more attractive in Santiago than in Santo Domingo but you always seem to embellish the beauty of PUCMM girls in Santiago. I took classes there for one summer. They're not that hot man. You can also get natural beauty and exotic mixes in other parts of the DR........better yet go to Brazil. Buenos Aires also has university girls that make PUCMM chicks look like they're in the little leagues in regards to style, fashion, and class. I'm sorry I just enjoy bursting your bubble and that of the stuck up girls in PUCMM that think they're so hot and classy...when in reality they are just pretentious girls lucky enough to live in the bubble that is Santiago.

Hell, you can find just as many hot girls, if not better given the variety, in Los Angeles at USC or UCLA.

no buddy, you didn't pop my bubble, you and I just have different taste in women. If you think PUCMM girls are not so hot, then you must be into ghetto looks. Which is fine by me. Viva la differencia.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
no, it was in santiago :)
and exactly my point, the girls were pretty. and young. why smack on a wallpaper of makeup?

you meat the cake makeup?? LOL
Funny, I didn't really see that often. I can imagine some girls would do that but the girls I have seen, were hot looking and with minimum make-up.
lets ask Hillbilly, he teaches there. I just don't know how he is able to keep the topic online without distractions. hahahah
AZB

Exxtol

Jun 27, 2005
no buddy, you didn't pop my bubble, you and I just have different taste in women. If you think PUCMM girls are not so hot, then you must be into ghetto looks. Which is fine by me. Viva la differencia.
AZB

AZB what are "ghetto looks"? Please do explain. Being from a ghetto or not being from a ghetto has nothing to do with "natural beauty".....hence the phrase "natural beauty". Thanks for playing.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlterEgo

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
AZB what are "ghetto looks"? Please do explain. Being from a ghetto or not being from a ghetto has nothing to do with "natural beauty".....hence the phrase "natural beauty". Thanks for playing.

No sir, I won't explain, either you know it or you don't. If you don't know it, then chances are, you are into it.
After 12 yrs of hosting guys in DR, I have come to conclusion, 99% of guys are into ghetto girls. They just find these girls amazingly beautiful and just go nuts over a woman who dresses in cuero fashion. You may not have any idea what I am talking about and its expected. I have seen pictures in Dominican Beauty thread and it has simply confirmed by belief. Most guys (like you) and the visiting guys are into cuero-look type women. No need to open up Webster's dictionary to find meaning of cuero fashion and ghetto looks, its all there, some are totally blind to this and other see it coming from miles away.
AZB

Reactions: Bronxboy

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
No sir, I won't explain, either you know it or you don't. If you don't know it, then chances are, you are into it.
After 12 yrs of hosting guys in DR, I have come to conclusion, 99% of guys are into ghetto girls. They just find these girls amazingly beautiful and just go nuts over a woman who dresses in cuero fashion. You may not have any idea what I am talking about and its expected. I have seen pictures in Dominican Beauty thread and it has simply confirmed by belief. Most guys (like you) and the visiting guys are into cuero-look type women. No need to open up Webster's dictionary to find meaning of cuero fashion and ghetto looks, its all there, some are totally blind to this and other see it coming from miles away.
AZB

Are you speaking of the differences between the sweet, young campo chicas when they first show up in the big city with natural hair, little or no makeup, modest dress and pretty smiles versus them a year later with the weave, fake nails, tatooed on eyebrows, too much makeup and look like 10 lbs of chit in a 5 lb sack which is cut too short?

Maybe you're referring to all those chicas who aren't debutantes from upper middle class to wealthy families and have plenty of money for shopping and running the clubs?

What exactly do you mean ghetto looks? Did Sammy Sosa bleach his skin to get rid of his "ghetto looks"? How's about a litlle more specificity?

Reactions: Africaida
Mar 2, 2008
Greydread, you don't really expect any specificity, do you?

"Ghetto looks" simply covers anything that ABC doesn't like. On the other hand, any girls who are willing to look at ABC twice gets a "high society" pass. Of course, those girls are few and far between. :)

Hey, just kidding around. It's all good.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
You know what he means - he just does not want another vacation....

Greydread, the guy is trying to better himself and if that means following the narrow view of a few privileged Dominicans in Santo Domingo then that is what he feels he must do.
He is desperate to be perceived as not being 'ghetto' himself so the last thing he would show is an affinity for poorer people.

An experienced polymath like yourself is more interested in the book than the cover.
Not until AZB has grown his experience enough to know his own heart, or grown his confidence enough to follow his heart faithfully will he be able to see past his own prejudices.

Talk to some older posters and they will tell you about his time on the North Coast.:bunny:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
So let me clear this up for some confused souls.

You know what he means - he just does not want another vacation....

Greydread, the guy is trying to better himself and if that means following the narrow view of a few privileged Dominicans in Santo Domingo then that is what he feels he must do.
He is desperate to be perceived as not being 'ghetto' himself so the last thing he would show is an affinity for poorer people.

An experienced polymath like yourself is more interested in the book than the cover.
Not until AZB has grown his experience enough to know his own heart, or grown his confidence enough to follow his heart faithfully will he be able to see past his own prejudices.

Talk to some older posters and they will tell you about his time on the North Coast.:bunny:
Oh I see, so if anyone who chases girls with cuero fashion, he is considered a normal, down-to-earth guy and if a guys avoids girls who look ghetto just because he is not attracted to this style, is automatically an elite ass-kisser and rich-wanna-be. Not to mention (in my case), some poor 7/11 pakistani clerk trying to pass for a upper class.
Guys guys guys, get this straight, I am disgusted by the cuero looks, the long nails, the fake eyebrows, the hard-wooded shoes, the tight pants with chichos hanging out, the tattoos, the cuero ghetto accent etc. All the things some of you down-to-earth chopos like, I am disgusted by them. This is not because I am this or that, I am just not part of this movement and I certainly do not find this appealing to my taste. Now if that makes me an elite ass kisser, so be it. But the question is, what does that make you?
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Some times I feel I am talking to people who have just left some afghanistan cave and finally seeing the world for the first time. Where do you guys come from? Why is it some of you guys are so blind and not see whats going on around you?
There are 2 distinct parallel fashions (or better put) life styles in this island. Both of these parallel societies have little to no contact with each other. Its like beta and VHS, like MAC and PC. Just 2 different platforms. You cannot interchange one into another. So a person decides from early on whether he is a MAC or PC, society member or just anyone. This is why dominicans refer to finer people as society folks and the rest are simply considered "demas" (the rest). You cannot buy into the society easily, they might open up the doors to you because they need your money, but you will find yourself lonely there. Just nothing in common with the rest of the people in society.
Now look at fashions: the girls and guys who are common people have ghetto looks and attracted to ghetto level music, fashion and friends. This is very common among dominicans who live outside USA because most have their roots in the DR barrios. They like ghetto type girls and they like ghetto music (bachata mostly about "morena this and that", and omega to reggeaton). Men are into reggeaton looks and girls are into tits-out tight puta clothes. These girl simply look from vulgar to simply ridiculous yet they see nothing wrong with this style. Why should they, some of you guys seem to not only approve this attire but actually encourage it. I am sure some of you are thinking "what is he talking about....these girls look hot like this....".
Then you have the society fashion that you guys simply like to put down. Whenever I post a picture of society people, the comments are the same
Oh they must be uncomfortable in these clothes.
Rich wanna-be snobs in dad's cars.
fake this and that.
Plastic look and copy cats etc etc.
Not one honorable word is said about them and on top of that, if anyone approves the fashion or lifestyle of these people, there is a post written about him like pedro wrote up there.
Look guys, if you are still asking me what is a ghetto look and what is a society look then all I have to say "don't worry". You guys have missed the train a long time ago. This is 2010 and world will end in 2012. Go ahead and get what you can get your hands on. Don't worry about what this 7/11 clerk thinks or says.,
AZB

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
Guys guys guys, get this straight, I am disgusted by the cuero looks, the long nails, the fake eyebrows, the hard-wooded shoes, the tight pants with chichos hanging out, the tattoos, the cuero ghetto accent etc. All the things some of you down-to-earth chopos like, I am disgusted by them. This is not because I am this or that, I am just not part of this movement and I certainly do not find this appealing to my taste. Now if that makes me an elite ass kisser, so be it. But the question is, what does that make you?
AZB

I believe that this is the specificity that Greydread was referring to.

Well I gotta agree with you AZB, I don't really go for this look either. I prefer a more conservative "girl next door" look.

But unless guys are actually looking for love and trying to settle down, I say go for whatever floats your boat. Everyone's taste is different (thank god).

Chopas need love too.;)

Reactions: greydread

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
if you are only going for looks , most people lose them eventually even if you have the money to correct things - plus if you go out with really attractive younger people it makes you look older.....wheres Betty White

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
at the end of the day people are very culturally influenced by different things. in eastern europe they often like darker skin.. in latin america they like lighter skin..

AZB has become very dominican in how he thinks. it doesn't mean its right, it doesn't mean its wrong. its just the cultural layer on top of what he's attracted to (and most dominicans too). americans have a different cultural layer influencing their decisions. and thats ok too.

i say go wherever its easiest for you to find exactly what you like!

without these cultural influences, DR1 wouldn't have many posts :)

Reactions: corsair74

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
You cannot interchange one into another. So a person decides from early on whether he is a MAC or PC, society member or just anyone. This is why dominicans refer to finer people as society folks and the rest are simply considered "demas" (the rest). You cannot buy into the society easily, they might open up the doors to you because they need your money, but you will find yourself lonely there. Just nothing in common with the rest of the people in society.

Well I can mix with both kings and Vagabonds quite happily - Thank you.
It does not mean I am either.

To discount people solely on the basis of your prejudice about music and clothes is truly pathetic.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Well I gotta agree with you AZB, I don't really go for this look either. I prefer a more conservative "girl next door" look.

exactly, we are on the same page.
I have never liked the ghetto looks in USA and I am certainly not into it when I have moved to DR. I do not identify myself with the ghetto fashion, nor I want to be part of that. Once I saw my nephew walking around with pants falling down, I grabbed him by the throat and told him to never wear these stupid clothes in my presence. There have been times when I have sent the dominican girl back home to change if she wants to go out with me. I like the conservative looks as well.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Well I can mix with both kings and Vagabonds quite happily - Thank you.
It does not mean I am either.

To discount people solely on the basis of your prejudice about music and clothes is truly pathetic.

I can mix with both too and I do it on daily basis but I will never defend the vagabundos or admire their fashion. I know where I stand, do you?
AZB

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
I can mix with both too and I do it on daily basis but I will never defend the vagabundos or admire their fashion. I know where I stand, do you?
AZB

Yes I know where I stand.

For example, my job was music so I can see the real value of music where you can only see the class association.

Also, I think you know where you would like to stand.
But I think you have this sneaking suspicion that the real higher echelons will never truly accept you.

You will never have the opportunity to wrap someone else's Ferrari round a lamp post.

Status
Not open for further replies.