Dominican Fashion, Style, Do's and Do Not's - Whats your opinion??

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Yes I know where I stand.

For example, my job was music so I can see the real value of music where you can only see the class association.

Also, I think you know where you would like to stand.
But I think you have this sneaking suspicion that the real higher echelons will never truly accept you.

You will never have the opportunity to wrap someone else's Ferrari round a lamp post.

again, thinking with ghetto mentality. I told you, either you are PC or MAC. You seem to only think one way and just can't seem to understand that I am not doing anything it to mix with anyone. This is the way I have been since I was born. Of course, seem like you are genetically more inclined to admire ghetto music and ghetto lifestyle. I can care less for it. I am not doing it for anyone or to be accepted by anyone or to seek anyone's friendship. I am well connected in this country and people from all walks of life need me (not the other way around anymore). I never liked bachata or omega or reggeaton from the beginning. It sounded like jungle music to me then and it still sounds the same to me today. Nothing to do with whom I want to mingle with, its just my taste. Of course you would not understand that, you are from another planet (choptunous).
So try to imagine, for all the reasons you like your music and your environment just because you genuinely like it and feel it identifies with your soul then try to understand this: I like my environment for the same exact reasons. I am also human and if you can understand this then you will know that I don't do this to impress anyone. This is what I am like from birth.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
But I think you have this sneaking suspicion that the real higher echelons will never truly accept you..

Do yourself a favor, don't try to understand me. You and I have little in common and I don't think you are capable of understanding anything if its not ghetto. Worry about yourself, I am doing just fine as I am. I don't need anyone to live comfortably here, I am well respected and well received everywhere by everyone. I didn't spend 12 yrs living by the beach.
Just because you wrote this sentence up there, means that you know little about this country and not far more knowledgeable than any other expat or a dominican york who visits here.
AZB

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
again, thinking with ghetto mentality. I told you, either you are PC or MAC. You seem to only think one way and just can't seem to understand that I am not doing anything it to mix with anyone. This is the way I have been since I was born. Of course, seem like you are genetically more inclined to admire ghetto music and ghetto lifestyle. I can care less for it. I am not doing it for anyone or to be accepted by anyone or to seek anyone's friendship. I am well connected in this country and people from all walks of life need me (not the other way around anymore). I never liked bachata or omega or reggeaton from the beginning. It sounded like jungle music to me then and it still sounds the same to me today. Nothing to do with whom I want to mingle with, its just my taste. Of course you would not understand that, you are from another planet (choptunous).
So try to imagine, for all the reasons you like your music and your environment just because you genuinely like it and feel it identifies with your soul then try to understand this: I like my environment for the same exact reasons. I am also human and if you can understand this then you will know that I don't do this to impress anyone. This is what I am like from birth.
AZB

Keep living in that bubble. What exactly define what is ghetto or not. Fashion is just an art as any other. You like it or you don't. You need to move to the moon or to another planet. It is a whole world out there.

Reactions: woofsback

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I rather like the phrase "ghetto look" but I definitely do not like the look itself .I think jeans in this country during the day are far too hot for either men or women.
I wish a good clothes company would introduce a line of cotton mid length cotton or linen shorts like the raj wore in India or Montgomery wore during the war in the desert .It is much more sensible dress for the DR climate.
I also wish we could move away from thongs and could more easily buy good sandals with a strap around the ankle .
I also wish the use of polyester in shirts could be banned so the shirts could breath more easily ..why do most Dominican shirts have to be so uncomfortable !!

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
AZB, to be honest with you, you give the impression that if the girl doesn't look like she is straight from Spain, she looks ghetto, like a puta and/or is not attractive.

On the other hand, I agree with you, Tattooed highbrows, fake nails, walking half-naked or with the tightest/shortest thing you can find is also vulgar in my opinion. I don't call that Fashion, I call that showing as much as you can. Does it mean the women who chose to dress like that are ugly ? No, but I wouldn't want my daughter to dress like that. Nothing wrong with being sexy, but it can be done with taste and leaving a little to the imagination.

Bachata ? Aren't the lyrics all about love. How is it ghetto ? I Thought love or the love of love making was universal :)

Reactions: Bronxboy

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
He he!!!
You are so funny.

Genetics? Well it has to be said that I am the black sheep of the family - I was the first one of us for generations not to go to Cambridge to gain my undergraduate degree - that is about as Chopo as it gets.

As for my music, well the gold discs (and one Platinum for 'The Best Of') do my talking.

You see, I always could jump happily between Mahler and Dre - and I can see the common ground. That is what made me successful and that is why I could retire at the age of 30.

I think perhaps that very public personal success and the kudos that it brought desensitized me to the reviews.
I had so many sycophantic good reviews that eventually they became valueless.
I realised that I knew what was real and what was not real without some self appointed wannabe, style obsessed, intellectually paper thin, know-all critic with an inferiority complex telling me so.

Indeed you would make a very good music critic -you are amply qualified.

And, again, you are funny to wind up....

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Yawn.gif

Shorts and tops at home and on the beach, descent jeans with a nice belt or cotton trousers and t-shirt with short sleeve with a nice print on it to go into town, some nice dress and shoes, minor make up, fine jewelry and a nice matching little handbag (the less bling bling the more elegant I find and I never follow any "fashion", have developed my own style over the years) for fancier occasions and worn through jeans, shorts and t-shirts for playing and training with the dogs.

And the "yawn" is for some of the silly discussions here :tired:

Reactions: XXKWISIT

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
AZB, to be honest with you, you give the impression that if the girl doesn't look like she is straight from Spain, she looks ghetto, like a puta and/or is not attractive.

Not at all. there are some really nice elegant Indian types to Black girls in major cities from very good families. These girls dress very conservatively and hold themselves up well in the society. The problem is, these guys who are offended by my description of ghetto are actually ghetto loving people themselves. Why is it not everyone is offended, why only a few?
AZB

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
I am not offended - it is more pity that I feel for you.

I get your point and I agree to a certain extent.

But you have to admit - this 'society thing' is an obsession to you.

I think if you were really 'to the manor born' you would not have such a chip on your shoulder.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
He he!!!
You are so funny.

Genetics? Well it has to be said that I am the black sheep of the family - I was the first one of us for generations not to go to Cambridge to gain my undergraduate degree - that is about as Chopo as it gets.

As for my music, well the gold discs (and one Platinum for 'The Best Of') do my talking.

You see, I always could jump happily between Mahler and Dre - and I can see the common ground. That is what made me successful and that is why I could retire at the age of 30.

I think perhaps that very public personal success and the kudos that it brought desensitized me to the reviews.
I had so many sycophantic good reviews that eventually they became valueless.
I realised that I knew what was real and what was not real without some self appointed wannabe, style obsessed, intellectually paper thin, know-all critic with an inferiority complex telling me so.

Indeed you would make a very good music critic -you are amply qualified.

And, again, you are funny to wind up....

I don't know who you are or what music albums you have recorded, seems to me, people like you eventually come back to your factory default setting with ghetto love written all over it. More power to you. Now that you are retired at 30, you have all the time to cruise barrios in your fancy low profile wheels (jepeta) with your 12 yrs chevas in hand. I can just imagine the music you are listening to with your jeva from cien fuego.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I am not offended - it is more pity that I feel for you.

I get your point and I agree to a certain extent.

But you have to admit - this 'society thing' is an obsession to you.

I think if you were really 'to the manor born' you would not have such a chip on your shoulder.

No sir, its an obsession to you all who can't stand anything besides the ghetto flavor. Since I disagree with your style and taste in life, I am marked as a society ass-kisser.
Now lets get back to fashion.
AZB

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
If you weren't both men, I would suspect that there is some definite sexual attraction between both of you (Pedro and AZB), LOL :)

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
But what do you, guys, mean by "conservatively"? Can we see some pictures as examples for us to follow?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ghetto fashion made easy

for those who still struggle to understand or get the wrong impression that ghetto look is a forward fashion statement: google fefita la grande.
nuff said.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
I don't know who you are or what music albums you have recorded, seems to me, people like you eventually come back to your factory default setting with ghetto love written all over it. More power to you. Now that you are retired at 30, you have all the time to cruise barrios in your fancy low profile wheels (jepeta) with your 12 yrs chevas in hand. I can just imagine the music you are listening to with your jeva from cien fuego.
AZB

I am more of a Range Rover and welly boots type of guy - but that was your best effort yet.

I salute you for at least having a go - punching above your weight, as it were...

:bunny:

Reactions: greydread

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007

On the other hand, I agree with you, Tattooed highbrows, fake nails, walking half-naked or with the tightest/shortest thing you can find is also vulgar in my opinion. I don't call that Fashion, I call that showing as much as you can. Does it mean the women who chose to dress like that are ugly ? No, but I wouldn't want my daughter to dress like that. Nothing wrong with being sexy, but it can be done with taste and leaving a little to the imagination.
Bachata ? Aren't the lyrics all about love. How is it ghetto ? I Thought love or the love of love making was universal :)

I feel the exact same way about the ridiculous lengths to which some people go to to 'fit in' with trends and look 'good' while making themselves actually less attractive. I've seen too many beautiful Chicas with beautiful natural hair and looks ruin their appearances with hair weaves, way too tight clothes and clown makeup to keep in step with the crowd both in the DR and at home.

I would never refer to that as "Ghetto" but merely in bad taste. The most attractive Women in the room are almost never the ones with the most skin showing and the desperation that it reflects is often pitiful, sometimes outright "Ho-ish" but that's what they see in the videos that are generating hundreds of millions of dollars, if not billions so many fall for the hype.

BTW, the World is not supposed to end in 2012. It's a planetary realignment and the dawn of a new age and I think that on the 1st day of the Winter solstice of 2012 we're all going to wake up smarter as the other 90% of our brain function is finally released from its slumber. I'll probably be walking around Santo Domingo wearing khakis, Clarke's with white sweat socks, shades and a White home jersey with hunter green number (6) and letters that say..JETS.

Exxtol

Jun 27, 2005
I never liked bachata or omega or reggeaton from the beginning. It sounded like jungle music to me then and it still sounds the same to me today. Nothing to do with whom I want to mingle with, its just my taste.

Ohhh I get it now. That' what you mean by "ghetto looks".

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Not at all. there are some really nice elegant Indian types to Black girls in major cities from very good families. These girls dress very conservatively and hold themselves up well in the society. The problem is, these guys who are offended by my description of ghetto are actually ghetto loving people themselves. Why is it not everyone is offended, why only a few?
AZB

Doesn't matter!

It's really, really offensive!

Stop using coded terms and say what you really mean. Be the Man you think you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.